Non traditional names - is your name one?

Lost In Xanadu

Ok I dont have the most common name in the world but at one point there were two other Craig's in my high school. One day I was standing in a food line with a ton of other people and someone called out "hey Craig". We all turned around. I swear rhis happened. We all looked at each other and turned back around shrugging our shoulders.

My name is only unusual for its spelling, Elisabeth.

My mom's name was Cinderella though :D. She hated it whilst I loved it.

I've always heard that black parents name their kids whatever happens to be sitting in the bedroom at the time the child was conceived.

Uncool. :boo hiss:
  • Like 2

I have one of the most popular name from when I was born - Martin. Never bothered me and I've always liked my name and still does. At work we are three in my unit named Martin and I know they just hired someone in production also named Martin. A guy came by to look at an empty room in the apartment yesterday. His name too was Martin. The only thing about my name that's unusual is my last name because of the way it's spelled. It has an extra consonant. The origin of my last name comes from Germany. Fewer than 1200 people in Denmark has that last name, which means it's protected. If you want that last name you'd have to marry one with that last name.

I've always heard that black parents name their kids whatever happens to be sitting in the bedroom at the time the child was conceived.

Uncool. :boo hiss:

Yeah I agree.

My name is only unusual for its spelling, Elisabeth.

My Mum's middle name is Elisabeth with an S, too
  • Like 1

My name is Michelle. It was a bit unique back in '72, when I was named that. Now, it's so common I wish my name was something else. Maybe I'll legally change it to GG.
  • Like 2

my daughter's name is Kara (pronounced Care-a), which was kind of unique when she was born but seems to be becoming more popular.

Italian Meaning:

The name Kara is an Italian baby name. In Italian the meaning of the name Kara is: Dear, Beloved. from the feminine form of Italian "Cara" or the Latin "Carus"

my name is Jamie, i guess its traditional but it's not very common at my school.

i've seen some pretty ridiculous-ass names, and it seems like parents try to find the most complicated way to spell common names (e.g. Hayleigh, McKinzee, etc.). i've also noticed that names with lyn or leigh in them are common on shows like 16 and pregnant. i can't even tell you how many times some dumb ass country girl on that show names her son Brentley or Brentleigh of something stupid like that.

Hmm…well, my name is Jared. Nothing too unusual there. It's a Hebrew name. I think it means "inheritor" or something.

hey my last name is Jared

another funny thing about names: my name is Jamie Jared, and I have two siblings named Jade and Jacob. Jade is my fraternal twin sister but people get us confused because our names start with the same letter. my mom's maiden name is Amy Anderson, she had two sisters named Amber and Angie. she said that she wanted her kids' names to start with the same letter as their last name because that's how it was in her family. im not sure if i'll continue that tradition with my kids.

Hmm…well, my name is Jared. Nothing too unusual there. It's a Hebrew name. I think it means "inheritor" or something.

Cool! :) I've never seen it as a last name. You know what irks me, though? Some people pronounce the A in my name just like the A in "can't." They say "JAYH-red." :facepalm: The A is the same as the A in "cat." "JA-red." It makes me so angry sometimes!

• Like 1

Cool! :) I've never seen it as a last name. You know what irks me, though? Some people pronounce the A in my name just like the A in "can't." They say "JAYH-red." :facepalm: The A is the same as the A in "cat." "JA-red." It makes me so angry sometimes!

I thought that name was pronounced Jare-ed (rhyming with dare) :(

another funny thing about names: my name is Jamie Jared, and I have two siblings named Jade and Jacob. Jade is my fraternal twin sister but people get us confused because our names start with the same letter. my mom's maiden name is Amy Anderson, she had two sisters named Amber and Angie. she said that she wanted her kids' names to start with the same letter as their last name because that's how it was in her family. im not sure if i'll continue that tradition with my kids.

You know, an alliterative name is a sign that you should become a superhero
  • Like 5

Rodrigo is a common name in Portuguese speaking countries...I wonder how it sounds to native English speakers.

To me (here, next door to Mexico, in a city with a high population of Central Americans) I would have assumed it was a Spanish name. It reminds me of the surname Rodriguez--maybe they have the same origin?

• Like 1

I thought that name was pronounced Jare-ed (rhyming with dare) :(

It is for some people. Not me. :no: it annoys the heck outta me.

Rodrigo is a common name in Portuguese speaking countries...I wonder how it sounds to native English speakers.

To me (here, next door to Mexico, in a city with a high population of Central Americans) I would have assumed it was a Spanish name. It reminds me of the surname Rodriguez--maybe they have the same origin?

Yeah, I think both have the same root. Rumour has it that in ancient latin it means "he who is rich, smart and handsome, and yet acts cool about it". Who knows, maybe it´s true... :D :P :LOL: :cool:

• Like 1