Non traditional names - is your name one?

Lost In Xanadu

Well my name is Kenneth

Mine too. I didn't used to be a fan of it but have grown to like it. Nobody calls me anything but Kenneth and expects me to answer. No Ken or Kenny here. My siblings are Kurt, Keith and Karyn. My parents had a little theme goin... :)

I have a friend, "Patrick," and you better not call him Pat... but I do all the time because we grew up together. I think his wife is the driving force behind "Patrick" as she is snooty and thinks "Pat" is too low brow or something.

My name's Tobias. Not too common, but not too out-there either. It usually gets a comment. Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

One of my daughters is named Ryan (now 24 yrs old).

my youngest is Amber - 21 years ago is was just becoming popular. there were 3 ambers in our apartment building alone. she's a february baby. I wanted to name her Amethyst. clearly that didn't happen. but i do find it interesting that both amethyst and amber are healing crystals. she is a born healer! :)

Well my name is Kenneth

Mine too. I didn't used to be a fan of it but have grown to like it. Nobody calls me anything but Kenneth and expects me to answer. No Ken or Kenny here. My siblings are Kurt, Keith and Karyn. My parents had a little theme goin... :)

I have a friend, "Patrick," and you better not call him Pat... but I do all the time because we grew up together. I think his wife is the driving force behind "Patrick" as she is snooty and thinks "Pat" is too low brow or something.

Hey that's my name. I've had every variation from Paddy to Patty Cakes, Pad, Pey, Pat, Padricko, Patty, Patricko, Ratprick, Paddo and so on, None of these names make any difference to me. They say something about the person who uses them and how they use them, it's their own character that they reveal. I find it interesting.

• Like 1

One of my daughters is named Ryan (now 24 yrs old).

my youngest is Amber - 21 years ago is was just becoming popular. there were 3 ambers in our apartment building alone. she's a february baby. I wanted to name her Amethyst. clearly that didn't happen. but i do find it interesting that both amethyst and amber are healing crystals. she is a born healer! :)

And you are AMY Amy?? What does this reveal about my own character??? :o :o :o :o

• Like 1

I've always heard that black parents name their kids whatever happens to be sitting in the bedroom at the time the child was conceived.

I've always heard that black parents name their kids whatever happens to be sitting in the bedroom at the time the child was conceived.

Like a pimp?

I don't think they sit in the same room, do they? :LOL:

• Like 2

My name's Tobias. Not too common, but not too out-there either. It usually gets a comment.

Now I know Your_Lion... :syrinx: :)
  • Like 2

It seems vogue to give your kid some weird name and has been for a while now... :huh:

Kanye named his kid North West...........just put a kick me sign on the poor kid.

Moron.

Mick

Could be worse. He could grow up poor and have a stupid name... :)

I felt like giving Kanye a :bitchslap: for naming his poor kid North West...
  • Like 1

Andrew is a pretty traditional name :LOL:

I don't mind non traditional names but I hate it parents deliberately spell the name differently than how it is usually spelled. I saw a while back a baseball player's name was Andru instead of Andrew. Seriously, what's the point? The kid is going to go through all sorts of inconveniences growing up.

Are you referring to Andruw Jones? I believe he was West Indies Dutch.

My name's Tobias. Not too common, but not too out-there either. It usually gets a comment.

Is that really your name? I don't hear that name often.

Yep :yes: I hated it as a kid, but now I love it. Sometimes it gets shortened, but I like the full thing.

Now I know Your_Lion... :syrinx: :)

;) :LOL:
  • Like 2

Is that really your name? I don't hear that name often.

Yep :yes: I hated it as a kid, but now I love it. Sometimes it gets shortened, but I like the full thing.

The very first cat I ever had, and the one that turned me from a cat hater to a cat lover, I named Tobias. :)

• Like 1

My mother said she wanted to name me something unusual; something that you don't hear very much.

All I can figure is there were a lot of other new mothers at around the same time who felt the same way about the name Blue J. When I was growing up, I couldn't get away from them!

Jennifer Lynn - can't get any more traditional than that IMO :huh:

I like "Sunny" better. :sundog:

I have a cousin named Jennifer. She always insisted people call her Jennifer, not Jen or Jenny because she thought it sounded classier. :)

• Like 1

While working as a hospital admissions clerk in a part of town that had lots of Medicaid abusing people. I saw all kinds of interesting/odd/stupid names. One little girl was named Asia, which isn't a bad name. but when I commented on it, the mom said she picked it by spinning a globe and stopping it with her finger and she was touching the word Asia. I wondered if she'd have been touching Sri Lanka would she have chosen that?

The stupidest name I saw was a very common word, just not used as a name, and that was Nylon. I'm not kidding.

• Like 3

I have a cousin named Jennifer. She always insisted people call her Jennifer, not Jen or Jenny because she thought it sounded classier. :)

I answer to any - and all of the above - including sunny. Enough people call me sunny in real life, that I answer. :LOL:

One of the dad's on my son's baseball team is named Sonny - and I answered for him a couple of times over the years. :blush: Tough to explain to a non-board friend.

• Like 1

I answer to any - and all of the above - including sunny. Enough people call me sunny in real life, that I answer. :LOL:

One of the dad's on my son's baseball team is named Sonny - and I answered for him a couple of times over the years. :blush: Tough to explain to a non-board friend.

Yeah, especially since you can't see the spelling when it's said. :D

• Like 1

Hmm…well, my name is Jared. Nothing too unusual there. It's a Hebrew name. I think it means "inheritor" or something. Edited by Disk98