Eternal Rushine of the Spotless Mind

Geddy's Soul Patch

Given the opportunity to undergo an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind style procedure to remove all memories of Rush from your brain, would you do it? Knowing that you could listen to Rush with fresh ears once again.

No. What makes my memories of Rush special to me are seeing them back in the early days (Hemispheres forward) and, due to their somewhat obscurity back then, the feeling that being a Rush fan was like being a member of an exclusive club. And finally, I had the benefit of not knowing jack shit about them personally, so I could (and certainly did) idolize them without fear of having that bubble busted for a long time.

I wouldn't trade being an early rider on the Rush bandwagon for all the tea in China. They simply don't compare to what they were at their peak.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 4

Very interesting thread idea, and that's a great movie.

I'd say I'd give it a shot, as I seem to envy people who've never heard Rush's music before.

But at the same time, they've shaped so much of my musical interests and I picked up the drums more seriously as a result of Peart, so I'd have to give it more thought.

I think I'd probably end up going for it though.

• Like 1

Given the opportunity to undergo an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind style procedure to remove all memories of Rush from your brain, would you do it? Knowing that you could listen to Rush with fresh ears once again.

No. What makes my memories of Rush special to me are seeing them back in the early days (Hemispheres forward) and, due to their somewhat obscurity back then, the feeling that being a Rush fan was like being a member of an exclusive club. And finally, I had the benefit of not knowing jack shit about them personally, so I could (and certainly did) idolize them without fear of having that bubble busted for a long time.

I wouldn't trade being an early rider on the Rush bandwagon for all the tea in China. They simply don't compare to what they were at their peak.

I don't really remember knowing anything about them much before Moving Pictures came out. Then they were on MTV in magazines much more.