Ray Danniels Weighs In on a "Final?" tour.

mandydog

One thing that does concern me is this....Will the subject of retiring after R40 be the first ever MAJOR disagreement that the three guys in Rush have? Will it become Geddy and Alex vs. Neil? When Neil went through his tragedy, it was pretty much a mutual decision from all three guys to disband Rush at that point. Geddy even said in Beyond The Lighted stage that there was no way they could replace Neil with a new drummer at that point, it just couldn't happen.

IMO: I think they are all in agreement that 60 is not the new 40. Geddy and Alex and even Neil can find other ways to scratch their music itch, ways that fit their lifestyle.

I think there will be a huge gap after this tour. Then after around 10 years we will get the news that RUSH will be touring once again! By then Neil's daughter will be 15 and will probably like to see her old man on the skin in a real concert setting. So in an ironic turn of events the same person that might be the reason for the plug being pulled out might be pushing the plug right back in!

"Daddy, I want to see you play in a big concert!"

:haz: :rush: :haz:

That's what concert videos are for, my dear.

If it didn't take Neil months to get ready for a tour as it is, it would kill him at 70+ years old.

Agreed. There's just no way I can see that happening, either.

Strictly from Neil's perspective, I can totally understand the question of isn't forty years enough? I think in his mind (and especially, as he has said, due to his domestic circumstances), it definitely is.

And Rush is not Rush without any one of the three of them. If any corner of the triangle is missing, the other two will not be seeking a replacement to keep it going.

For my own selfish reasons, I don't ever want to see Rush come to an end, but it is going to happen at some point fairly soon. Whether this is truly the last Rush tour ever or not, I'd say if you want to see them live, whether it's going to be your first show or possibly last show (or both)- exhaust every possible avenue that's available to you in order to make that happen.

I hope to see some of you there. :)

• Like 3

I guess we'll just have to wait and see in the months/years to come . . . I think they did a good job of stating where they are right now with the "last major tour of this magnitude ..." announcement, and it's a great way to handle it. So many bands announce final or "farewell" tours and then look silly when they look at the checkbook and decide to go back on tour again a few years later. (How many have the Eagles had? and how long before Motley Crue goes out again, despite that big press event signing some document . . ) The band, especially Geddy and Neil, have often talked about what an influence The Who have been on them and they are one of my FAVORITE bands. However, it has long been a joke between my husband and kids that Pete Townshend owes him the $20.00 he paid to see The Who's "farewell" tour in 1982- because they went back on their word! I'm thinking Rush doesn't want to be stuck in this kind of situation in a few months, years or whenever. :)

And I was not meaning to say that Rush is the kind of band that would ever do it for the money. Just saying I think they are leaving their options open if they ever want to do some one-off events later on or something similar if the performing live muse is calling . . . .

• Like 2

I guess we'll just have to wait and see in the months/years to come . . . I think they did a good job of stating where they are right now with the "last major tour of this magnitude ..." announcement, and it's a great way to handle it. So many bands announce final or "farewell" tours and then look silly when they look at the checkbook and decide to go back on tour again a few years later. (How many have the Eagles had? and how long before Motley Crue goes out again, despite that big press event signing some document . . ) The band, especially Geddy and Neil, have often talked about what an influence The Who have been on them and they are one of my FAVORITE bands. However, it has long been a joke between my husband and kids that Pete Townshend owes him the $20.00 he paid to see The Who's "farewell" tour in 1982- because they went back on their word! I'm thinking Rush doesn't want to be stuck in this kind of situation in a few months, years or whenever. :)

And I was not meaning to say that Rush is the kind of band that would ever do it for the money. Just saying I think they are leaving their options open if they ever want to do some one-off events later on or something similar if the performing live muse is calling . . . .

I think it would be great if they did that, too. :)

Based on everything I've read, my guess is that the guys honestly do not know if "this is it", but the ball will be completely in Neil's court after August 1st. They'll only go out again IF and when he decides he wants to go out. I'll bet he insisted on that condition in exchange for agreeing to do this round of dates.

It's a good sign that he hasn't officially declared that he is DONE after these shows (which I think he would do if he KNEW for sure). Even if they tour again though, I think it'll be substantially shorter shows. They just can't keep up this 3-hour thing much longer.

First post, by the way. Looking forward to catching one or more shows in Texas.

• Like 4

Based on everything I've read, my guess is that the guys honestly do not know if "this is it", but the ball will be completely in Neil's court after August 1st. They'll only go out again IF and when he decides he wants to go out. I'll bet he insisted on that condition in exchange for agreeing to do this round of dates.

It's a good sign that he hasn't officially declared that he is DONE after these shows (which I think he would do if he KNEW for sure). Even if they tour again though, I think it'll be substantially shorter shows. They just can't keep up this 3-hour thing much longer.

First post, by the way. Looking forward to catching one or more shows in Texas.

Welcome!

They are wise. They aren't going to say anything definite. And they are certainly not ever going to say "we will never again [fill in the blank]". That would just make them look silly (as it has many other bands who have used the word "never") if they changed their mind, or if their petty cash started running out. :LOL:

Only someone in their age bracket can fully understand what they are doing for all of you by going on tour at all. Even if it is an abbreviated tour.

• Like 5

If this is the last tour, I hope that means that the boys may focus on putting together another album. Or, at the very least, they start to release old concert CDs as Ray tries to suck every cent out of the fans as possible. I'll gladly pay.

The problem with any of this is how perfectionist the guys in the band are. I think they'll be reticent to come out for one-off shows as they won't be in playing shape in their own minds. Also, I don't know if they'll want to release "sub standard" shows as CDs or produce an album on the cheap.

They are wise. They aren't going to say anything definite. And they are certainly not ever going to say "we will never again [fill in the blank]". That would just make them look silly (as it has many other bands who have used the word "never") if they changed their mind, or if their petty cash started running out. :LOL:

Only someone in their age bracket can fully understand what they are doing for all of you by going on tour at all. Even if it is an abbreviated tour.

Yes this, exactly. I don't know why people think they're going to say "this is it!" when they don't know what's going to happen. They're not going to tell us anything.

First of all, Ray Daniels is a stone cold killer in the industry. Rush has been his original cash cow since time began. If he even moderately hints 'probable' at a final tour, it's time to listen. And let's face it, if everyone's read between the lines, it becomes somewhat probable that Geddy wanted to go out one more time for the 40th anniversary for the fans, but Alex and Neil could take it or leave it (Neil, mostly, almost entirely, leaving it).

Maybe they'll play a few one-offs in Canada or LA or NY after this, for benefit causes or perhaps a festival once in a great while, but they only have about five more years left in their touring capacity...once you hit 70, it's time to hang it up...Rolling Stones notwithstanding. I think all three of them have what it takes to continue the every 3 year tour schedule for another two cycles...but that doesn't mean they should.

Reading between the lines...from all sources to date...one ought to assume this is the last of it. Of course they're not going to call it a 'farewell,' the Canucks are smart, they've seen too many bands call things a 'farewell' and then come back again and again.

Rush won't DO a farewell tour. They'll quietly retire. Which...is kinda what seems to be happening with this last tour, no new music, one last US leg to play the hits.

There won't be another leg, boys and girls. See 'em while you can.

• Like 3

Its just a band dude. They have made 40 years of mostly inspiring and at the very least really good music (Virtuality not withstanding). To all of you who are way over procseeing this need to bear this fact in mind. 40 years of rocket sauce dude.

This is really so true. How many bands make it even half this long? We're very lucky.

• Like 4

Life is all about moments and memories. When The San Francisco Giant's won the 2010 World Series I actually shed tears because I had thought that I would never see it happen. Forty three years of waiting made me appreciate the moment. With Rush we've been able to appreciate many great moments for decades. It's time to soak in one last grandiose tour, with a special appreciation for what we're witnessing. At the end of the show cheer loud and hard, bidding a "Farewell to Kings". Edited by calirush

First of all, Ray Daniels is a stone cold killer in the industry. Rush has been his original cash cow since time began. If he even moderately hints 'probable' at a final tour, it's time to listen. And let's face it, if everyone's read between the lines, it becomes somewhat probable that Geddy wanted to go out one more time for the 40th anniversary for the fans, but Alex and Neil could take it or leave it (Neil, mostly, almost entirely, leaving it).

Maybe they'll play a few one-offs in Canada or LA or NY after this, for benefit causes or perhaps a festival once in a great while, but they only have about five more years left in their touring capacity...once you hit 70, it's time to hang it up...Rolling Stones notwithstanding. I think all three of them have what it takes to continue the every 3 year tour schedule for another two cycles...but that doesn't mean they should.

Reading between the lines...from all sources to date...one ought to assume this is the last of it. Of course they're not going to call it a 'farewell,' the Canucks are smart, they've seen too many bands call things a 'farewell' and then come back again and again.

Rush won't DO a farewell tour. They'll quietly retire. Which...is kinda what seems to be happening with this last tour, no new music, one last US leg to play the hits.

There won't be another leg, boys and girls. See 'em while you can.

Eddie Trunk teased the question while cutting to commercial. Is this it for Rush? In the background, Ged clearly shook his head no several times and mouthed the word no, when back from the break, Ged's official answer was "...I don't see why not."

Either way, we are very close to the end. I can see them do a 3-5 show run in NY, LA and/or Toronto once every other year and that will be it. (Maybe a couple at Radio City, MSG and Jones, perchance to dream). Neil would get to be home with family 355 days a year. The family could even spend the week with him at the Penthouse at the Ritz-Carlton...It's ironic Alex has changed his opinion in the last year. He used to be Mr. Tour, now he is rumored to be in Camp Neil. It must not be easy playing those solos at 62!

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Its just a band dude. They have made 40 years of mostly inspiring and at the very least really good music (Virtuality not withstanding). To all of you who are way over procseeing this need to bear this fact in mind. 40 years of rocket sauce dude.

This is really so true. How many bands make it even half this long? We're very lucky.

We were betting on the winning horse, so to speak ;)

• Like 2

I don't think there will be anymore big tour, but at least one more album and just enough dates to make another dvd out of those tour.

If this is the last tour, I hope that means that the boys may focus on putting together another album. Or, at the very least, they start to release old concert CDs as Ray tries to suck every cent out of the fans as possible. I'll gladly pay.

The problem with any of this is how perfectionist the guys in the band are. I think they'll be reticent to come out for one-off shows as they won't be in playing shape in their own minds. Also, I don't know if they'll want to release "sub standard" shows as CDs or produce an album on the cheap.

Seeing a few things in the past that sort of came out, (The extra show with Different Stages, and some of the stuff as filler on DVD's) you MIGHT see a box set with some live odds and ends...During an interview several years back when the box set thing was going crazy, I think Alex mentioned that they weren't going to release a box set now because they always felt that the box sets were something for the END of your career...seeing that the R40 DVD set came out with a lot of old odds and ends, I'd be willing to bet that something audio slides out in a few years...Think about it...this year was R40 and a tour...next year a live CD and DVD of the tour...a year or so later, the box set with the old live stuff that they've had in the can for a long time!

Hell they SAY they don't have leftover songs that they haven't released...but any engineer worth his salt ran a tape during sessions, so parts that were being developed were there...and there are alternate mixes that most likely exist. (end of the day...make a cassette for the band to ride home and listen to)

They WERE going to release a live album after Permanent Waves, but decided to do a studio album...so THAT tour probably has tape....they recorded most of the shows on the Test For Echo tour (and said they went over a LOT of live stuff before they settled upon what they DID release) so you know there has to be stuff somewhere in a vault...

• Like 4

Seeing a few things in the past that sort of came out, (The extra show with Different Stages, and some of the stuff as filler on DVD's) you MIGHT see a box set with some live odds and ends...During an interview several years back when the box set thing was going crazy, I think Alex mentioned that they weren't going to release a box set now because they always felt that the box sets were something for the END of your career...seeing that the R40 DVD set came out with a lot of old odds and ends, I'd be willing to bet that something audio slides out in a few years...Think about it...this year was R40 and a tour...next year a live CD and DVD of the tour...a year or so later, the box set with the old live stuff that they've had in the can for a long time!

Hell they SAY they don't have leftover songs that they haven't released...but any engineer worth his salt ran a tape during sessions, so parts that were being developed were there...and there are alternate mixes that most likely exist. (end of the day...make a cassette for the band to ride home and listen to)

They WERE going to release a live album after Permanent Waves, but decided to do a studio album...so THAT tour probably has tape....they recorded most of the shows on the Test For Echo tour (and said they went over a LOT of live stuff before they settled upon what they DID release) so you know there has to be stuff somewhere in a vault...

I think you're right...and all of that falls under the category of things that they certainly aren't obligated to say publicly, and probably won't. It's entirely their call if or when any of that stuff is released officially. We'll have to wait and see.

But I sure would enjoy the hell out of it, if it does come to fruition.

• Like 1

Damn straight he knows the value of unreleased recordings and the effect they can have on the bank account once other revenue streams (aka TOUR) die, or at least slow down dramatically, which is what's happening now. There is definitely stuff in the vault that is ripe for release. It's all a matter of timing.
  • Like 1