Rumours about the R40 Stage Show

x1yyz

Rush begin their 40th 41st anniversary R40 tour in less than two months! Rush themselves have given us only tiny tidbits (Timbits?) of information as to what we can expect. In a recent interview Geddy stated R40 will be "the last big tour that we're going to do for a while," and that the setlist will be "a celebration of our entire history".

As you can imagine, the rumours of what we are going to see and hear are flying fast and furious. I know sometimes the media will be privy to information to information the general public is not, and with that in mind I picked the brain of a Yukon Blade Grinder reporter who I know often visits the Anthem Entertainment offices in Toronto. We met up at the Orbit Room while I was in YYZ, and I discovered that buying the reporter a few maple whiskeys will cause them to spill some secrets.

I learned the band is considering the following ideas for the R40 stage show:

As the ultimate display of Rush's notorious sense of humour, the Caress of Steel-era songs will be accompanied onstage by dwarves dancing around an 18' (foot!) Stonehenge replica.

Since Geddy unfortunately has difficulty hitting the very high notes from the band's early releases, R40 will mark the second time in the band's history they have additional musicians onstage. Those musicians will be a small group of back-up singers who will be "assisting" Geddy with reaching notes such as "
Every nerve is torn apart!
" from "Cygnus X-1".

Other songs will be adapted and sung in a lounge act style to make them easier to sing.

The film clips shown during the concerts will include home footage of Neil, Alex, and Geddy taken during their childhood years. Some of this surfaced in
Beyond the Lighted Stage
, and now we will have a chance to see more.

To assist with covering the costs of a tour of this magnitude (several tour buses and trailer-trucks are used to haul crew and gear, while the band takes private planes), the film clip to be played during "I Think I'm Going Bald" will be used to promote Rogaine.

What rumours have you heard?

• Like 7

Please I hope the thing with Back-up singers is not true... I rather hear Geddy sing it badly then that anyone else help sing it...

Zumbi, the post is a spoof.

Yukon Blade Grinder has some supply difficulties in Sweden. ;)

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 5

I heard the Presto bunnies are coming back. They will be battling the FBN owl, that darn dragon, and a pack of monkeys during the

One Little Victory --> By-Tor & The Snowdog --> The Main Monkey Business --> Superconductor medley.

• Like 6

Please I hope the thing with Back-up singers is not true... I rather hear Geddy sing it badly then that anyone else help sing it...

Oh? How you know?

Oh? How you know?

Because I know the person who runs the Yukon Blade Grinder as well as several of their reporters - domestic and overseas.

And it's the last time I tip you off. :hi:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

Zumbi, the yukon Blade Grinder is an inside joke in TRF...it´s a fake journal created by Tombstone Mountain, with (also) fake interviews and articles about Rush, very often including mentions of TRF members.

I´ll add my rumours:

1 - They´re working on an a capella version of I Think I´m Going Bald, with the lyrics changed to I KNOW I´m going bald;

2 - The Big Money will end with the famous quotation of Cheech & Chong´s Earache my Eye, with both guy joining them on stage; then they´ll segue into A Passage to Bangkoc, and the five guys will share a joint on stage;

3 - After the third song, Geddy will say "good evening...we have a gazillion songs to play tonight...we know how old our fanbase is at this point, so we´ll help you guys out: without saying much more about the setlist, every third song will be one of those toilet-break cuts: Bravado, The Pass, Rivendell, The Larger Bowl, Speed of Love, Second Nature, Tai Shan and High Water;

4 - One of the videos of the tour was dropped due to extremely violent content: it showed the band members as Spanish conquistadores reaching South America to torture and kill the local tribes, who consisted of Kanye West, Justin Bieber, Beyoncé, the Kardashians, Bruno Mars and Maroon Five.

• Like 2

They´re working on an a capella version of I Think I´m Going Bald, with the lyrics changed to I KNOW I´m going bald;

I've heard that it's a parody version called, I Think I Was Bald, sung by Alex. :D

• Like 1

Zumbi, the yukon Blade Grinder is an inside joke in TRF...it´s a fake journal created by Tombstone Mountain, with (also) fake interviews and articles about Rush, very often including mentions of TRF members.

Oh, thanks for explaining it to me. I did not know about it.

• Like 1

Oh, thanks for explaining it to me. I did not know about it.

http://www.thelocal.se/20061219/5854

Question: What do you get when you cross an 18th century poet with the king and a British hotelier?

Answer: The key to the Swedish sense of humour.

• Like 1

Geddy is going to sing, play bass, keyboards work foot synths & make a peanutbutter and jelly sandwhich at the same time. the only thing that is hard for me to believe is, I heard Geddy doesn't even like peanutbutter and jelly. with all seriousness aside any of the options listed Shark Whisperer would be HALARIOUS
  • Like 1

The Stonehenge replica reminds me of the set actually built for Black Sabbath's Born Again tour and never used because ot the huge final dimensions, due to a project misunderstanding between feet and meters.

A dozen 40 feet automated inuksuks dancing on

any Test For Echo tune would fit better.

• Like 2

Well, I heard....

To commemorate the early years...

The stage will be set up to look like an old dingy basketball gymnasium...

Complete with a bleacher full of long haired 10th grade Canadian boys, tapping their feet to Finding My Way.

• Like 3

I heard that after the first half of the first set, the naked man from Hemispheres will deliver the drinks to the guys...I won't tell you where the towel will be hanging, though....that's the surprise!
  • Like 2