• Fly By Night
    • A Farewell to kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows

It's interesting, ambitious and creative in its inception, but many of us find it naive and belabored in its final product.

Naive and belabored? How so?

The story, lyrics, musical redundancy, and the fact that they accidentally wrote it in a key that didn't fit Geddy's range. And the sappy acoustic ending doesn't resonate with some of us either.

Side 2 is killer, though.

Sometimes the things people say really amaze me, and this is one of those times.

Their writing it in a key that didn't fit his range isn't really true. It did fit his range at the time, but it wasn't long before it didn't anymore.

It's interesting, ambitious and creative in its inception, but many of us find it naive and belabored in its final product.

The story, lyrics, musical redundancy, and the fact that they accidentally wrote it in a key that didn't fit Geddy's range. And the sappy acoustic ending doesn't resonate with some of us either.

Sometimes the things people say really amaze me, and this is one of those times.

Their writing it in a key that didn't fit his range isn't really true. It did fit his range at the time, but it wasn't long before it didn't anymore.

Not from what I've read and heard from Geddy in interviews.

Don't get me wrong. Hemispheres is amazing. I just don't think it's the pinnacle of their career like many claim.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong. Hemispheres is amazing. I just don't think it's the pinnacle of their career like many claim.

I understand what you mean. :)

As far as the other comment, if it hadn't fit in his actual range, he wouldn't have been able to sing it. That's what that means. Maybe it was out of his "comfortable zone" and he had to strain, which makes sense.

This one's easy...Fly by Night.

Surprising that people don't like Power Windows but then again I'm surprised on a daily basis of people's opinion of Rush albums ;)

Who wants to venture a guess which will be the last album left standing?

I want to say Hemispheres but it'll be Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves since we have that mini coalition of Hemispheres haters running amok.

Well, really, I want Grace Under Pressure to live but it's got the same problem as Hemispheres...

it's more spite than anything.

Hemispheres side 1 weakens it. It's interesting, ambitious and creative in its inception, but many of us find it naive and belabored in its final product.

The order I'd send them off at this point...

FBN

AFTK

Hemi/PW (coin toss)

Grace

Signals

PeW/MP (coin toss)

For me, it's

PoW

Signals

GuP

FBN

AFTK

PeW

MP

Hemispheres

• Like 1

Who wants to venture a guess which will be the last album left standing?

I want to say Hemispheres but it'll be Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves since we have that mini coalition of Hemispheres haters running amok.

Well, really, I want Grace Under Pressure to live but it's got the same problem as Hemispheres...

it's more spite than anything.

Hemispheres side 1 weakens it. It's interesting, ambitious and creative in its inception, but many of us find it naive and belabored in its final product.

The order I'd send them off at this point...

FBN

AFTK

Hemi/PW (coin toss)

Grace

Signals

PeW/MP (coin toss)

For me, it's

PoW

Signals

GuP

FBN

AFTK

PeW

MP

Hemispheres

My order...

PoW

Signals

GuP

FBN

MP

AFTK

Pew

Hemispheres

• Like 1

I understand what you mean. :)

As far as the other comment, if it hadn't fit in his actual range, he wouldn't have been able to sing it. That's what that means. Maybe it was out of his "comfortable zone" and he had to strain, which makes sense.

It's in his range, but doesn't fit it. To me there's a difference...as in, he can sing it (or could), but it wasn't necessarily the best use of his voice. Anyway, we'll see how it plays out...which is good fun!
  • Like 1

Hey...we have a FBN-PoW tie!

Axe them both and let's move on! :madra:

Oh...and pull Justin's RUSH card.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

My ranking of the remaining albums:

1. AFTK

2. Hemispheres

3. PeW

4. Power Windows

5. 2112

6. Grace Under Pressure

7. Signals

8. Moving Pictures

9. Fly By Night

I originally voted for 2112, but then saw that Power Windows and Fly by Night were Neck in Neck, so I had to vote for Fly By Night to preserve Power Windows as long as possible. Sorry Fly By Night. I actually like you quite a bit, but Power Windows must live!

BTW. My rankings of the remaining albums

1. Power Windows

2. Signals

3. A Farewell To Kings

4. Permanent Waves

5. Grace Under Pressure

6. Moving Pictures

7. Hemispheres

8. Fly By Night

9. 2112

Ged's singing on Hemispheres beats all singing that came after. His honest pure passionate singing and screaming ended with The Trees. From PeW onward it was all about preserving his voice for a long career (which is much appreciated). However, all singing that comes after Hemispheres is significantly inferior. It became about being safe.

What made them Rush was their willingness to experiment and take chances. 2112 through Hemispheres is what gave them such a passionate and loyal fan base. Think if they could have, would have, released something in the mold of PoW instead of 2112 in 1976. Their musicianship on the progressive albums, in addition to the devoted fan base, gave them an enduring reputation as expert drummer, bassist and guitarist.

Additionally, La Villa is their Masterpiece.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 2

http://pumphousegallery.org.uk//images/made/uploads/robin_pow_350_263_s.jpg

I changed my vote to PoW because it was a tie. Though I suppose we could have knocked two out at once.
  • Like 1

Voted Hemispheres by mistake...I didn't realise Fly By Night was still there...
  • Like 2

A few more hours left. No ties. I could easily see a scenario where Pow voters would then move their votes to GuP to save FBN.

It's like alternate PoW reality here. Dr. Bishop? Their solos in freewill' and la villa routinely get standing ovations-Mid Song!! 2112 crowd participation! Playing 4 PoW tunes in the Rush Oversynth Fiasco of 2012 caused excessive oversupply of ambien in most markets and a huge decline in ticket sales! Never a more mellow crowd in that first set, it was embarrassing, especially compared to time machine tour. I was 18 row center and 2nd row side section, only mention that to say was with perhaps some of the hardcore fan base, both times the arenas ran out of cots! Crowd was more pumped for the new CA tunes than the Oversynth Period tunes, wow!

A few more hours left. No ties. I could easily see a scenario where Pow voters would then move their votes to GuP to save FBN.

It's like alternate PoW reality here. Dr. Bishop? Their solos in freewill' and la villa routinely get standing ovations-Mid Song!! 2112 crowd participation! Playing 4 PoW tunes in the Rush Oversynth Fiasco of 2012 caused excessive oversupply of ambien in most markets and a huge decline in ticket sales! Never a more mellow crowd in that first set, it was embarrassing, especially compared to time machine tour. I was 18 row center and 2nd row side section, only mention that to say was with perhaps some of the hardcore fan base, both times the arenas ran out of cots! Crowd was more pumped for the new CA tunes than the Oversynth Period tunes, wow!

The tickets were on sale many months before the tour started so I highly doubt the set list had any impact. Let's not let facts get in the way of a not very good rant though.