• Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SpongeBob-Patrick-Doll-Stuffed-Toy-Figure-9-/00/s/NTgxWDUwMA==/$%28KGrHqRHJC4FCFPsthvLBQiQRh%21Oe%21~~60_35.JPG
  • Like 2

Shenanigans pure and absolute Shenanigans going on now.

The fix is in. LOL.

I missed yesterday, but the losses of Clockwork Angels and Hold Your Fire are very disappointing. Caress of Steel is next, and rightfully so.
  • Like 2

Listening to High Water in honor of Hold Your Fire, the pinnacle of 80s art-rock will not be forgotten!

Still voting for FBN. It's a fantastic album, but something's gotta go!

I was talking to Patrick today, he reminded me how much I love Fly By Night. Definitely more than HYF, even though both are great. "Fly By Night" is the happiest song ever!

Who's Patrick? :huh:

A supertight guy!

• Like 1

Listening to High Water in honor of Hold Your Fire, the pinnacle of 80s art-rock will not be forgotten!

I was talking to Patrick today, he reminded me how much I love Fly By Night. Definitely more than HYF, even though both are great. "Fly By Night" is the happiest song ever!

A supertight guy!

And here he is:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SpongeBob-Patrick-Doll-Stuffed-Toy-Figure-9-/00/s/NTgxWDUwMA==/$(KGrHqRHJC4FCFPsthvLBQiQRh!Oe!~~60_35.JPG

A supertight guy!

And here he is:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SpongeBob-Patrick-Doll-Stuffed-Toy-Figure-9-/00/s/NTgxWDUwMA==/$(KGrHqRHJC4FCFPsthvLBQiQRh!Oe!~~60_35.JPG

I look more and more like him every day.

• Like 1

Calling all REAL Rush fans: remember the 70s? How honest and real the music was? Caress of Steel - three young men full of spirit and creative drive, thinking big. They couldn't stop thinking big. They poured their heart and soul into writing evocative songs and stories with a hard edge, sometimes with a softer, more soothing edge. This was before scientists in electronics labs developed newer and better synthesizers to make "music" that had nothing to do with the press of flesh against wood and steel. Press a button, and out pops a sound! You want it to sound like a horn? Sure. We can't unfortunately make it sound like what a real horn would make, with a real musician behind it breathing his or her life and soul into it. But close enough for dancing and AM radio. Here ya go. Guitars are so out of fashion. Make a slicker, glossier, more synthetic album! Make Power Windows, an album in which your real musicianship will lurk in the shadows behind all these big, glorious, shiny, pummeling synthesizers. Weener-neener! Weener-neener!!! Edited by toymaker
  • Like 6

Calling all REAL Rush fans: remember the 70s? How honest and real the music was? Caress of Steel - three young men full of spirit and creative drive, thinking big. They couldn't stop thinking big. They poured their heart and soul into writing evocative songs and stories with a hard edge, sometimes with a softer, more soothing edge. This was before scientists in electronics labs developed newer and better synthesizers to make "music" that had nothing to do with the press of flesh against wood and steel. Press a button, and out pops a sound! You want it to sound like a horn? Sure. We can't unfortunately make it sound like what a real horn would make, with a real musician behind it breathing his or her life and soul into it. But close enough for dancing and AM radio. Here ya go. Guitars are so out of fashion. Make a slicker, glossier, more synthetic album! Make Power Windows, an album in which your real musicianship will lurk in the shadows behind all these big, glorious, shiny, pummeling synthesizers. Weener-neener! Weener-neener!!!

It's a government conspiracy. It's the dumbing down of the world, not just America. There used to be a time when hard work and dedication to an instrument whether it be guitar or bass or drums or whatever really meant something.

• Like 2

Several years ago I would've said Power Windows at this point, but I really can't do that now. I have no least favorite of this batch of albums.
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong; I quite like Power Windows. But the title calls to mind an analogy: you don't have to roll up your own window anymore; you don't have to work at it. Just push a button. That's progress. Push this button at just the right time and the listener will hear a pre-programmed series of notes that we'll stick in to keep things interesting and "contemporary" - because people can get so bored just listening to people playing instruments all the time. You want to be able to sell as many albums as all those other dance bands out there. Can't have them stealing away your share of the market, so you got to keep up.

Calling all REAL Rush fans: remember the 70s? How honest and real the music was? Caress of Steel - three young men full of spirit and creative drive, thinking big. They couldn't stop thinking big. They poured their heart and soul into writing evocative songs and stories with a hard edge, sometimes with a softer, more soothing edge. This was before scientists in electronics labs developed newer and better synthesizers to make "music" that had nothing to do with the press of flesh against wood and steel. Press a button, and out pops a sound! You want it to sound like a horn? Sure. We can't unfortunately make it sound like what a real horn would make, with a real musician behind it breathing his or her life and soul into it. But close enough for dancing and AM radio. Here ya go. Guitars are so out of fashion. Make a slicker, glossier, more synthetic album! Make Power Windows, an album in which your real musicianship will lurk in the shadows behind all these big, glorious, shiny, pummeling synthesizers. Weener-neener! Weener-neener!!!

I can't agree with you more. I was just listening to a 1980 bootleg and wondering where those three men went.

I sorta agree....but you get docked 10 points for referencing CA.

:P :D

Mick

• Like 2

Yeah, Rush can f**k off for wanting to do something different than prog rock. How dare they want to evolve and change as artists

man did you nail my thinking. I love COS. But if they had continued with the epics. i, personally would have dropped em, lol

Things get boring after a bit ya know.

Mick

• Like 1

All of you Power Windows lovers, someones sent me a Power Windows demo tape today.

Here's the story behind it:

Our drummer showed played me a cassette tape of Power Windows in its entirety before it was even taken to the recording studio. That's right, sort of like a pre power windows personal recording of Alex's.

Now, he says that he's probably the only one who has it, and here's why.

Apparently a friend of his was walking downtown in Toronto, and Alex Lifeson's son had this tape, and was shouting out, "listen to my dads new album power windows!!" etc. And this friend of my drummers was given the tape by lifesons son, and then gave it to our drummer since he knew he was a hardcore Rush fan.

So now our drummer has this tape, and he's certain that no one else has it, so I wanted to check in with you guys to see if anyone else out there has it, and whether or not its worth it to make it public.

For the record, he played the tape for me, and I listened to manhattan project, and he wasnt lying. Completely different arrangements and a nice home made sound to recording. It's like sitting in the house with them while they jam. Quite amazing.

So he's going to back it up to CD, and give me a copy, and i'll make it public for you all to hear if this is something that no one knows of. So let me know.

This isnt one of those lame threads of someone just making up BS for something to do. I wouldn't yank your chains. This thing is real, and im willing to share it with you guys if you wanna hear it. I'm gonna stay on him and make sure he puts it to CD for me."

Yeah, Rush can f**k off for wanting to do something different than prog rock. How dare they want to evolve and change as artists

It might be "evolving," or it might just be trying to keep up with the Joneses. When I listen to some albums (A Farewell to Kings through to Signals, in particular), I tend to say "they don't sound like any other band" more often than I say "they sound a little bit like this band."

In spite of all that, one thing that kept me listening to the synthesizer-heavy albums was that there was still a unique band behind all those electronic accents. And again, I'm not talking about what Lee plays with his fingers; I'm talking about the video game noises that pop up too often in too many songs.

They should have released the demo tape. It's better than the final version of the album.

I'd love to hear it, where can that happen?