My first Rush show- 25 years ago today

Blue J

I saw Rush the summer after my BF of 8 years moved away. Going to their concert, taking piano and guitar lessons, and buying a dozen musical instruments is what helped me to get over it.
  • Like 1

me and my son who is in the usaf and stationed in arizona and me saw RUSH in greensboro,nc,2 years ago. it was his first concert and my i guess maybe 60 or 70th concert i had been too going back 45 years.

"Shake it up, now, Sugaree

I'll meet you at the jubilee

And if that jubilee don't come,

Maybe I'll meet you on the run..."

I urge everybody with the means and the opportunity to get out there and see Rush this year. We all deserve to be there!

They're a band beyond description

Like Jehovah's favorite choir

People joining hand in hand

While the music played the band, Lord

They're setting us on fire

HA!!

Great Dead quotes you guys.

And awesome memories J!

A couple things:

I'd seen Rush once before - Hold Your Fire tour at the LA Forum. I loved that show, but to be honest, I thought it was a little TOO perfect, and wasn't sure if I wanted to see them again after that, even though I loved their music.

I went to Presto, cause my Mom (of all peeps!) wanted to go!! She was an English teacher and used to use rock / popular tunes in her classes when she was teaching certain works of literature.

So we went. April - LA Sports Arena. I'll have to check the stub cause I can't remember which night.

Soon as Xanadu started, I was transformed.

I made a vow never to miss another Rush show after that, if I could help it, and I was mostly able to stick to that.

And yea... Xanadu segued into YYZ on the Presto tour.. it was the same for me.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 4

It's difficult for me to fathom that my very first Rush show has now been exactly 25 years ago. The guys in the band were still in their 30s back then- several years younger than I am right now. ( :o ).

Thanks to Citizen of the World (a member on this forum), I have a recording of the show, which I never knew for sure even existed, until it was given to me. March 6th, 1990, at Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati. It's not the best recording in the world, but considering what audience recording technology was like in arena rock shows at the dawn of the 1990s...it really sounds pretty good.

I was a junior in high school, just about a month short of my 17th birthday, and I didn't have anyone to go with me, so I just went alone. And I had an absolute blast- it was the most amazing thing to go see this band that even back then, I had been listening to for ten years, and never seen live.

And here I am, 25 years later- gearing up for another Rush tour.

I missed out on a lot of years- after 1994, I didn't see Rush again until 2013. And after that long dry spell was finally broken, I promised myself that I would never miss another Rush tour, for however long they continue to play for us.

I'm reminded of a lyric from another band's song-

"Shake it up, now, Sugaree

I'll meet you at the jubilee

And if that jubilee don't come,

Maybe I'll meet you on the run..."

I urge everybody with the means and the opportunity to get out there and see Rush this year. We all deserve to be there!

Amazing post that started this thread!

I'm so happy to read it, Blue J! :cheers:

• Like 1

Since there are some first Rush concerts from, and by some people, I'll post my first Rush tour concert. It was their "Grace Under Pressure Tour" in Sept. 1984 in Toronto at Maple Leaf Gardens. They performed three nights in a row, or three straight nights there, and "Red Rider" opened for them. For release of the tour, the second night was recorded. When it was, I don't remember if I was there, or if it was the first, or third one, but I was there for one of those three concerts, though because I remember, and have a pair of 3-D glasses. One of their performances was the "Fear Trilogy: the Enemy Within, the Weapon, and Witch Hunt". I thought it was great. My second one was their "Power Windows Tour" in Mar. 1986 in Toronto at Maple Leaf Gardens. They performed two nights in a row, or two straight nights there, and "FM" opened for them. I didn't attend their "Hold Your Fire Tour" because I didn't know, when they were going to tour that, and not that long I had to move from Brampton, Bramalea, ON. to Ottawa. I wished I did go to that tour concert, too, but I have watched it including owning "A Show of Hands". I didn't attend their "Presto Tour", which I think was a similar reason, but I did attend their "Roll the Bones Tour" in Feb. 1992 in Vancouver at Pacific Coliseum. One of their performances was "Xanadu/Superconductor", which I thought wasn't bad. I was at their "R40 Live 40th Anniversary Tour" concert in July 2015 in Vancouver at Rogers Arena. I've seen them on six different tours, and posted the two other times I've seen them on, and in the thread of "How Many Rush Shows Have You Been to?". Edited by Derek19

My first show anniversary is coming up this month on December 16th. 44 years ago at the Cleveland Agora. I was 14. It was on a Monday night and I had to beg my mom to let me go. I wasn’t even sure I’d get in because shows at the Agora were usually 18 and over. I was big for my age and so was the guy I was with. He was 17 though. Luckily, they were so busy when we got there that if you had a ticket you went right in. No problems. I remember wondering why the drummer didn’t look anything like the picture on the album.
  • Like 3