• Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire

The pain at the heart of the lower intestine is a cold fire :musicnote:

The fear in your eyes by the bathroom door is a cold fire :musicnote:

• Like 2

It does seem unlikely that CoS will get five more votes. I'm pissed that a great album like HYF is getting the ax.

Do I really have to smash my HYF CD when this poll closes?

;)

It does seem unlikely that CoS will get five more votes. I'm pissed that a great album like HYF is getting the ax.

;)

Honestly, I expected HYF to go much faster than it did. I thought it was pretty universally regarded as the low point of Rush, at least outside of TRF. I'm guessing that the poor reception and poor sales of the album, as well as the fact that Alex is under-utilized more than on any other record, are what led to the band bringing the guitar back.

• Like 1

as well as the fact that Alex is under-utilized more than on any other record, are what led to the band bringing the guitar back.

Which I'm glad they did. Had I been in charge Terry Brown would have continued to produce. Synthesizers would have played a more subdue role. Still a lot of great songs came after Signals. I enjoy most of HYF.

• Like 1

;)

Honestly, I expected HYF to go much faster than it did. I thought it was pretty universally regarded as the low point of Rush, at least outside of TRF. I'm guessing that the poor reception and poor sales of the album, as well as the fact that Alex is under-utilized more than on any other record, are what led to the band bringing the guitar back.

casio-history-2.jpg

No space for guitar in this mess.

• Like 1

;)

HYF was certified gold in the US, so let's not pretend like it's sales were completely in the shitter. What I think led to the guitar coming back had to do with the musical trends of the time more than anything. Synths were huge throughout most of the 80s and that was one of the big reasons Rush took to that sound so much. A lot of fans may not have liked it, but the synths did make Rush sound modern and helped to keep them relevant in the 80s while a lot of other popular acts from the 70s faded away because they didn't adapt to the times like Rush had. They needed the guitar driven sound back because if Presto was synth heavy it would have sounded outdated in 1989/1990.

• Like 2

;)

HYF was certified gold in the US, so let's not pretend like it's sales were completely in the shitter. What I think led to the guitar coming back had to do with the musical trends of the time more than anything. Synths were huge throughout most of the 80s and that was one of the big reasons Rush took to that sound so much. A lot of fans may not have liked it, but the synths did make Rush sound modern and helped to keep them relevant in the 80s while a lot of other popular acts from the 70s faded away because they didn't adapt to the times like Rush had. They needed the guitar driven sound back because if Presto was synth heavy it would have sounded outdated in 1989/1990.

HYF sold poorly because of the long departure from the "classic" Rush sound of the 70s and 81. HYF was just the furthest that the band ventured in that direction. And a lot of other bands at the time were still making music with guitars and balls, and a lot of it was even popular. Rush decided to go the pop route with PoW and HYF, but they went in too deep, which is why those albums sound so dated while earlier ones have a more timeless appeal.

Not voting. CoS stole the election just like the media tried to do for Gore in 2000.

Justice for CA!

CoS won the electoral college and the popular vote. After the polls closed, there was some Daley-style ballot stuffing. Just look at the deceased voters like Disk98 and BowlCity who supposedly voted against CoS.

BC is not dead. He's in England so he might WISH he was (or at the very least he wishes he had some decent food) but that doesn't count as actually BEING dead

It's true...they must hate flavor here or something. Goddamn I miss American food. I've been eating so much Asian food over here.

My family and I have never enjoyed traditional english cooking. We spice everything up! My days...this country loves cardboard...

• Like 1

;)

casio-history-2.jpg

BS. Some of Alex's best guitar work came on these albums.

Analog Kid

Digital Man

Chemistry

Big Money

Middletown Dreams

Marathon

Open Secrets

Lock and Key

Mission

Turn The Page

Between The Wheels

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Afterimage

Kid Gloves

Body Electric

It was different. Different sonic approach, different sounds. Just a lot more textural. His phrasing was absolutely brilliant. I am 30 plus year guitarist myself and Alex was a huge influence for me (obviously) and I love all his phases. And his 80's work had some incredible solo's, amazing chord structures, super creative chord phrasing, his dynamics...man some amazing underrated work.

You just did not like the sound nor felt it was hard or crunchy or thick enough. That's cool. I get that. But the playing was incredible. And his profound influence on many guitar players point to this phase of the band as well. Was it his best work? No that would be 2112-Pictures IMO. But I rank Signals-HYF as some of his most creative output and weaving in with the direction of Geddy and the keys. It worked to perfection.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 5

Well, it looks like CoS will live to die tomorrow. After HYF, I doubt there is another album that people who like CoS will collectively want to eliminate.

;)

casio-history-2.jpg

Analog Kid

Digital Man

Chemistry

Big Money

Middletown Dreams

Marathon

Open Secrets

Lock and Key

Mission

Turn The Page

Between The Wheels

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Afterimage

Kid Gloves

Body Electric

It was different. Different sonic approach, different sounds. Just a lot more textural. His phrasing was absolutely brilliant. I am 30 plus year guitarist myself and Alex was a huge influence for me (obviously) and I love all his phases. And his 80's work had some incredible solo's, amazing chord structures, super creative chord phrasing, his dynamics...man some amazing underrated work.

You just did not like the sound nor felt it was hard or crunchy or thick enough. That's cool. I get that. But the playing was incredible. And his profound influence on many guitar players point to this phase of the band as well. Was it his best work? No that would be 2112-Pictures IMO. But I rank Signals-HYF as some of his most creative output and weaving in with the direction of Geddy and the keys. It worked to perfection.

I get that the work us there...and it's noticeable on p/g and PW. But on HYF the guitars get lost in the morass of keyboards.

;)

casio-history-2.jpg

Analog Kid

Digital Man

Chemistry

Big Money

Middletown Dreams

Marathon

Open Secrets

Lock and Key

Mission

Turn The Page

Between The Wheels

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Afterimage

Kid Gloves

Body Electric

I get that the work us there...and it's noticeable on p/g and PW. But on HYF the guitars get lost in the morass of keyboards.

On Hold Your Fire I don't disagree. His sound was very brittle and sterile. But he still managed to pull through with some amazing playing on Mission, Time Stand Still, Open Secrets, Turn The Page and High Water. Also Tai Shan has some gorgeous phrasing.

What is cool though is when they brought this stuff back on the last few few tours...his guitars are thick and you can here how awesome the guitar work was on the albums. But sonic-wise is was totally in tune with the times (84-87). The 80's material has shined live with the more Gibson (anti-stratocaster)..thick in your face approach.

Love it.

• Like 1

;)

casio-history-2.jpg

Analog Kid

Digital Man

Chemistry

Big Money

Middletown Dreams

Marathon

Open Secrets

Lock and Key

Mission

Turn The Page

Between The Wheels

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Afterimage

Kid Gloves

Body Electric

On Hold Your Fire I don't disagree. His sound was very brittle and sterile. But he still managed to pull through with some amazing playing on Mission, Time Stand Still, Open Secrets, Turn The Page and High Water. Also Tai Shan has some gorgeous phrasing.

What is cool though is when they brought this stuff back on the last few few tours...his guitars are thick and you can here how awesome the guitar work was on the albums. But sonic-wise is was totally in tune with the times (84-87). The 80's material has shined live with the more Gibson (anti-stratocaster)..thick in your face approach.

Love it.

Absolutely! I've said as much before, about the current live sound of those songs- I love hearing all of the material from the latter half of the '80s played live now, due to the meatier guitar tone.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Come on, people! We need 4 more votes to kill off CoS!

Authority is not given to you to deny the return of CoS, steward!

*stands up ominously*

The rule of the poll is MINE! And no other's!

• Like 1

*stands up ominously*

*hands CP to the Steward*

Don't forget this on your way to the pyre.

• Like 1

*stands up ominously*

If you were in LotR Led, you would definitely be the Witch King of Angmar.

• Like 1

Caress Of Steel is their best album so I certainly didn't vote for that.

Hold Your Fire is far too thin and lacking in rock-ness. Thank goodness the failed experiment of Signature Guitars and Wal basses didn't last long. Easy choice.

• Like 1

*stands up ominously*

If you were in LotR Led, you would definitely be the Witch King of Angmar.

If I were, you, like Lorraine, would be one of the few Rush fans who could kill me.

But, no, I think I would be Frodo, taking the SACD version of CP with the gold cover (the album of the return to a guitar sound with "power") to Mount Doom to destroy it and its deleterious effects on the ears of the free people of Middle Earth. I envision you as Gollum, clutching the CD in bliss as you fall into the fires of Mount Doom. Thanks to you, I would never be able to play the guitar again, but it'd be worth the trade, I think.

• Like 2

Caress Of Steel is their best album released in 1975.

;)

Caress Of Steel is their best album released in 1975.

;)

So you're voting against Fly By Night next round?

• Like 1