Why I Hate Moving Pictures

Lorraine

I'm listening to Moving Pictures right now. The first time in a while. I can hear why this album not only catapulted them to fame, but got them out of debt as well.

But I'm wondering what it was about the album that held some of you still to Rush. There's nothing about Moving Pictures that sounds even remotely like the Rush of the seventies.

For those of you who were Rush fans in the seventies, do you remember what you thought about Moving Pictures when it came out?

It wasn't THAT different from Permanent Waves. Three huge hits on the first side that got major radio airplay too.

I listened to it the other day. And while it is top 10. over-exposure has drained some of the magic for me.......taking nothing away from the songwriting. It's that playing it to death has worn it a little.

Basically it's a tired old prostitute, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I listened to it the other day. And while it is top 10. over-exposure has drained some of the magic for me.......taking nothing away from the songwriting. It's that playing it to death has worn it a little.

Mick

Mick, you do have a way with words.

• Like 2

Mick

I didn't know if that was to harsh.......but then i thought nah, lol

perfect comparison ;)

Mick

Mick

perfect comparison ;)

Mick

I still think it sounds good. It holds a lot of memories for me. And just think, Mick - you weren't even born yet when Moving Pictures first saw the light of day. :codger: :LOL:

• Like 1

Mick

perfect comparison ;)

Mick

I still think it sounds good. It holds a lot of memories for me. And just think, Mick - you weren't even born yet when Moving Pictures first saw the light of day. :codger: :LOL:

oh i still like it.......it's wonderful. It blows me away ANYBODY could make an album like that.

tis a masterwork.

Mick

• Like 2

Witch Hunt features Geddy's first major YODEL.

Its delectable.

I actually have preferred side 2 to side one since the 80s. I love side one, but the bass work on side 2 is astounding and the bass sound on this record is by far my favorite.

Its delectable.

When does he yodel in Witch Hunt?

Speaking of hunts, anyone here remember the old television show Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges?

Yes! :LOL: That along with Flipper. :)

• Like 1

Its delectable.

uh.....when, lol

Maybe it's why i don't like Witch Hunt, lol

Mick

Shhhh let me troll.

No I replayed the song, I heard the song in my head completely different to how it plays on record. The vocal line I am thinking of is off of one of the tracks on CA (I think a vocal riff on the title track...certain its on that album. I can hear it now just not the song title. I was certain it was that vocal bit Geddy does in Witch Hunt when the synths get louder).

• Like 2

Its delectable.

uh.....when, lol

Mick

Shhhh let me troll.

No I replayed the song, I heard the song in my head completely different to how it plays on record. The vocal line I am thinking of is off of one of the tracks on CA (I think a vocal riff on the title track...certain its on that album. I can hear it now just not the song title. I was certain it was that vocal bit Geddy does in Witch Hunt when the synths get louder).

CA you say? That explains it then.

Its delectable.

uh.....when, lol

Mick

Shhhh let me troll.

But of Course it's probably on CY (Clockwork Yodels).......It's rush's ode to the Swiss.

lol

Mick

I love MP

I love Witch Hunt

I love love love love love vital signs

I love signals

I love synthesizers and while I am at it The Big Money is Rush's pinnacle.

:codger:

I have had a few minutes to think about this and I am going to say Leave that thing alone may also be their pinnacle. Maybe combine TBM and LTTA . and a ham sammich.

Edited by patjnev

There's nothing about Moving Pictures that sounds even remotely like the Rush of the seventies.

Now that is ludicrous.

Both Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures still had a lot in common with 70s Rush. The guitar riffs, the song structures, even the sound.

Signals was the album that sounded completely different, and of course the following albums even more so...

Still think Moving Pictures is the pinnacle of awesomeness. Anyone who disagrees is a nut. But then again, we're all nuts anyway. :)
  • Like 1

Still think Moving Pictures is the pinnacle of awesomeness. Anyone who disagrees is a nut. But then again, we're all nuts anyway. :)

I won't deny it. I actually agree.

• Like 3

There's nothing about Moving Pictures that sounds even remotely like the Rush of the seventies.

Now that is ludicrous.

Both Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures still had a lot in common with 70s Rush. The guitar riffs, the song structures, even the sound.

Signals was the album that sounded completely different, and of course the following albums even more so...

Well, pardon me for having an opinion.

Now that is ludicrous.

You're opinion is the correct one in my opinion. He is correct about Permanent Waves but you didn't even mention that one which of course you shouldn't have. Permanent Waves of course had elements of "old Rush". Moving Pictures was a complete departure from what was the past in my opinion... :) Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 2

Now that is ludicrous.

You're opinion is the correct one in my opinion. He is correct about Permanent Waves but you didn't even mention that one which of course you shouldn't have. Permanent Waves of course had elements of "old Rush". Moving Pictures was a complete departure from what was the past in my opinion... :)

You are right, and I was going to post that yesterday. On Permanent Waves, you could hear the old Rush in almost half the songs, but you can't hear the old Rush on Moving Pictures. No Jacob's Ladder to be found on the album.

• Like 3

Now that is ludicrous.

You're opinion is the correct one in my opinion. He is correct about Permanent Waves but you didn't even mention that one which of course you shouldn't have. Permanent Waves of course had elements of "old Rush". Moving Pictures was a complete departure from what was the past in my opinion... :)

You are right, and I was going to post that yesterday. On Permanent Waves, you could hear the old Rush in almost half the songs, but you can't hear the old Rush on Moving Pictures. No Jacob's Ladder to be found on the album.

The Camera Eye is the only "long song" on there and it sounds nothing like the epics of the past. I could see where Witch Hunt had the potential to be that epic and have that "older" sound but it is way to short to really get even going in that direction if that makes sense. Love the song but just wish it was longer. The message within it will always ring true it appears... Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 3

Side one is quite possibly one of the most perfect roughly twenty minutes of music ever pressed onto vinyl. Side two is a major grower, but still nowhere near the perfection of side one.

Unfortunately, I wasn't in love with the album at first since the only song I hadn't heard yet on side one was Red Barchetta (which was awesome, but only made for sixish minutes of newfound love beside fourteenish minutes of "heard it"), and side two initially disappointed me. TCE didn't live up to the high standards I had held for Rush epics for a long time (my dad caused me to love it later on though), Witch Hunt seemed to be going somewhere but then never living up to the buildup on my first many listens (I still consider it the albums weakest spot, though I've taken time and much care to listen more closely and found it's quite a great track), and while I loved Vital Signs, I wished it didn't end on a fade out and it didn't seem to compensate for the rest of side two's perceived lacklusterness at the time.

I guess since I had been going in chronological order from 2112 on, even though I knew what eighties Rush sounded like (I had a good idea of it anyway) and I knew this album would be a major shift, Permanent Waves fooled me into thinking I would still hear a ton of seventies Rush on the album, which I'd obviously grown to adore by that point. So when I got to Moving Pictures and was disappointed by half of the songs I hadn't heard before and already knew three sevenths of the record by heart, something just seemed off. Where was the immortal Moving Pictures I'd been told was their best album ever? Why didn't The Camera Eye excite me near as much as any of the previous 7+ minute Rush songs I'd listened to? Why was Witch Hunt arguably less exciting?

When it comes down to it, I think I was half asleep the first time I listened to the album, so TS, YYZ, and Limelight all seemed unexciting since I'd already heard them, Red Barchetta made impact, but not a whole album's worth, The Camera Eye and Witch hunt failed to stimulate my sleepy brain enough for me to okay close attention to them, and, if it hadn't been for Vital Signs' sudden loudness, weirdness, and cool synth line/bassine, I might have been permanently disappointed. Time did do its healing though, and now I see how amazing the whole album is. WH is still the weakest moment, but everything on the record is much better than I first thought.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Now that is ludicrous.

I agree with you, Lorraine, that MP is very different from the Kings thru Waves sound. In many ways it reminded me of the sound of 2112, modernized. Great tone on both albums. (I know you don't care for 2112 song wise)
  • Like 1