Why I hate Permanent Waves

Union 5-3992

Mr Union was horribly wrong ten years ago as he is today. In the mean time post 4 in thread sums it up nicely. I'll perform ambassador duty later for now I need to see a contractor aboot my cigar lounge. A place where ladies and gentlemen will be able to discuss the finer points of Permanent Waves over a Cigar and Bourbon.

Who's the Permanent Waves Ambassador? Whoever you are, you're fired.

He was here and did a good job ;).

Mr Union was horribly wrong ten years ago as he is today. In the mean time post 4 in thread sums it up nicely. I'll perform ambassador duty later for now I need to see a contractor aboot my cigar lounge. A place where ladies and gentlemen will be able to discuss the finer points of Permanent Waves over a Cigar and Bourbon.

He sounds like a stuffed shirt.

• Like 1

Oh come now, at least we'll have a cozy place to nest amongst our brethren. And we can drink lots of wine and feel funny :7up: .

• Like 1

Oh come now, at least we'll have a cozy place to nest amongst our brethren. And we can drink lots of wine and feel funny :7up: .

Where's Sheldon?

Where's Sheldon?

He's taking a potty break, jeeze.

• Like 1

Where's Sheldon?

He's taking a potty break, jeeze.

This is when adult diapers come in handy! :)

2. Neal Peart's lyrics are often embarrassingly overwrought and pretentious, often reading like they were written by an acne-afflicted teen whose access to literature is limited to a copy of Atlas Shrugged and a handful of bad fantasy/sci-fi novels.

Are you sure you were listening to Permanent Waves?

By the time of Permanent Waves the Ayn Rand references were long gone.

Funny, I could apply all your reasons to disliking 2112, not Permanent Waves.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

Here's that entire review from Amazon. Whether Union (the OP) and Shotgun Method are the same person, Union can admit to or not.

-----

8 of 55 people found the following review helpful

2.0 out of 5 stars Their appeal eludes me., September 11, 2005

By

Shotgun Method

This review is from: Permanent Waves (Audio CD)

By all rights, I should like Rush. It's not like I have a total aversion to '70s prog/art rock, being that I enjoy Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Magma etc. And I also enjoy some of the later prog and prog-metal bands that Rush influenced (Tool, Mars Volta, Spiral Architect, Queensryche).

However, the trio of Lifeson, Lee, and Peart have never made an album that I could listen to without simply clicking the "off" button midway thru.

I'll try to illuminate the various reasons without getting too snarky:

1. The music, while no doubt technically accomplished on all fronts (especially Neil Peart's drumming) feels sterile, formulaic, and with few compositional risks taken (and when they ARE taken, they're inevitably embarrassing). It almost feels like a combination of the worst possibilities of '70s arena rock (cheesily anthemic choruses, overwrought hooks, boring songwriting) and '70s prog rock (self-indulgent chops, overextended song lengths, goofy pseudointellectual lyrics). Rush tries to appeal to a middle ground between experimentation and accessibility; nothing wrong with that, but their music fails at both.

2. Neal Peart's lyrics are often embarrassingly overwrought and pretentious, often reading like they were written by an acne-afflicted teen whose access to literature is limited to a copy of Atlas Shrugged and a handful of bad fantasy/sci-fi novels.

3. Geddy Lee... ack. I've heard him described as a "squirrel on helium." As accurate as this is, I'd have to say that's being somewhat charitable. No, imagine a squirrel on helium with its tender bits in a clamp while being chased by a cat. Lee's terrible voice only serves to further emphasize the aforementioned geeky lyrics.

4. The synths, when applied, almost always end up sounding dated and artificial. While not as bad as, say, Yes or ELP, they're annoying enough to be noticeable, especially on their '80s work.

5. As a sidenote, judging by Mr. Peart's biographies he appears to be an insufferably humorless and egotistical individual.

Don't even get me started with the recent Feedback EP--their own music is bad enough without trying to mess up classics by The Who, Buffalo Springfield, et al.

For a real art/prog fix, I'd advise you to pick up Gentle Giant's Octopus or any of King Crimson's Mk IV albums (Red, Larks' Tongues, Starless & Bible Black) and give Rush a pass.

That's where I found it.

My bait thread worked though:

http://i.imgur.com/bJaNlKt.jpg

• Like 1

Here's that entire review from Amazon. Whether Union (the OP) and Shotgun Method are the same person, Union can admit to or not.

-----

8 of 55 people found the following review helpful

2.0 out of 5 stars Their appeal eludes me., September 11, 2005

By

Shotgun Method

This review is from: Permanent Waves (Audio CD)

By all rights, I should like Rush. It's not like I have a total aversion to '70s prog/art rock, being that I enjoy Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Magma etc. And I also enjoy some of the later prog and prog-metal bands that Rush influenced (Tool, Mars Volta, Spiral Architect, Queensryche).

However, the trio of Lifeson, Lee, and Peart have never made an album that I could listen to without simply clicking the "off" button midway thru.

I'll try to illuminate the various reasons without getting too snarky:

1. The music, while no doubt technically accomplished on all fronts (especially Neil Peart's drumming) feels sterile, formulaic, and with few compositional risks taken (and when they ARE taken, they're inevitably embarrassing). It almost feels like a combination of the worst possibilities of '70s arena rock (cheesily anthemic choruses, overwrought hooks, boring songwriting) and '70s prog rock (self-indulgent chops, overextended song lengths, goofy pseudointellectual lyrics). Rush tries to appeal to a middle ground between experimentation and accessibility; nothing wrong with that, but their music fails at both.

3. Geddy Lee... ack. I've heard him described as a "squirrel on helium." As accurate as this is, I'd have to say that's being somewhat charitable. No, imagine a squirrel on helium with its tender bits in a clamp while being chased by a cat. Lee's terrible voice only serves to further emphasize the aforementioned geeky lyrics.

4. The synths, when applied, almost always end up sounding dated and artificial. While not as bad as, say, Yes or ELP, they're annoying enough to be noticeable, especially on their '80s work.

5. As a sidenote, judging by Mr. Peart's biographies he appears to be an insufferably humorless and egotistical individual.

Don't even get me started with the recent Feedback EP--their own music is bad enough without trying to mess up classics by The Who, Buffalo Springfield, et al.

For a real art/prog fix, I'd advise you to pick up Gentle Giant's Octopus or any of King Crimson's Mk IV albums (Red, Larks' Tongues, Starless & Bible Black) and give Rush a pass.

That's where I found it.

http://i.imgur.com/bJaNlKt.jpg

You're so mean.

Of all the Rush albums, the two that 99.9% of people like (not saying are there favorites) are Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves

I remember receiving a lot of flack for voting against this album once so I'll post some reasons as to why I did:

3. The synths, when applied, almost always end up sounding dated and artificial. While not as bad as, say, Yes or ELP, they're annoying enough to be noticeable, especially on their '80s work.

http://www.amazon.co.../R34ZP3ZFGC7RZ8

Why and how did you find that?

I just copied a chunk of his post and googled it, it didnt seem like something he wrote

When I started reading it I thought I recognized it. Good job finding the source. Pretty obvious that it was stolen from somewhere else.

That's where I found it.

Hmmmm, so this was some kind of academic exercise Mr Union?

http://www.pureprospa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Permanent_Wave.png

How 'bout these permanent waves?

Second best Permanent Waves being discussed in this thread but maybe Lorraine needs to start a poll.

Very doubtful since he would have been 10 years old in 2005.

I'm going to be the contrarian opinion here.

If I had to pick the weakest album from Fly By Night through Test For Echo, it'd either be Permanent Waves, Caress of Steel or 2112. It's definitely a transitional album between the 70's prog sound and 80's keyboard-driven sound and it does feel a bit like the weakest version of both those eras. I like all of the songs, but I could easily list a ton of things that annoy me about them as well, which I cannot do with most of their other albums. Jacob's Ladder is really the only song that feels perfect. Different Strings is also pretty unique, but it doesn't really have much of an impact on me. Had they done a bit more with the ending, I think it'd really be a standout. Natural Science is everyone's favorite, but it just feels "unfinished" to me. The other songs are cool, but Geddy's voice annoys me a bit on Freewill (especially the last verse) and The Spirit of Radio. The intro to TSoR and bridge to Freewill are among my favorite Rush moments.

I still love PeW, but the other albums just feel more complete. I definitely don't see how someone could hate it, but it's always one of the last ones I grab to listen to.

Very doubtful since he would have been 10 years old in 2005.

I probably would have hated the album if I listened to it when I was 10. I loved hip hop and top 20 hits back then. Before I reached an age of enlightenment

Of all the Rush albums, the two that 99.9% of people like (not saying are there favorites) are Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves

I remember receiving a lot of flack for voting against this album once so I'll post some reasons as to why I did:

3. The synths, when applied, almost always end up sounding dated and artificial. While not as bad as, say, Yes or ELP, they're annoying enough to be noticeable, especially on their '80s work.

http://www.amazon.co.../R34ZP3ZFGC7RZ8

Why and how did you find that?

I just copied a chunk of his post and googled it, it didnt seem like something he wrote

When I started reading it I thought I recognized it. Good job finding the source. Pretty obvious that it was stolen from somewhere else.

Geez. Time to move on I suppose. Nothing more to see here.... :|
  • Like 1

Though I did try to trim a lot of the fat on that review...Otherwise, why the hell would I be here?

Even with the fat trimmed I was aboot to ask that question.