Earplugs at shows?

Gilbertk

I'll be wearing earplugs for the first time this tour, and I wish I started earlier. I started developing tinnitus and it was enough to convince me. It's still very minor and intermittent, but I don't want it to get worse, so it was earplugs or no show. It's worth investing in some good, flat-response musician's plugs, they cut the volume without affecting the EQ or the mix, and you can actually make out elements in the music that just got obliterated before. I even started wearing in-ear monitors on stage myself and I wish I had started that earlier as well. I have an old pair of Sonic II's I've been using at rehearsals for years and they are really good. I'll probably test-run a few different pairs at the show. Trust me, there is no such thing as "tough ears", it will catch up to you at some point.
  • Like 1

I already have tinnitus from too many concerts and standing next to too many cymbals in my bands. I guess if I'm going to lose my hearing I'd rather have it be from Rush than anything else.
  • Like 1