Earplugs at shows?

Gilbertk

Wondering if anyone has ever used earplugs at a show successfully. I've heard some say you can hear the music better and it cuts the crowd out a bit.. If so I'm interested. Going to this show by myself for a change and I want to hear as much of the music as I can.

Any experience here?

Never worn earplugs at concerts, but (almost) every concert I've been to had good-awesome sound, and Rush has always had great sound at the shows I went to.

EDIT: I should also say I've never been on the floor, though, it might be a lot louder there.

Edited by BowlCity

I wore ear protection at the last three shows I attended. When you first put them in your first reaction might be, "No, I don't like this, it deadens the sound too much, it sounds muffled, I'm taking them out." But if you leave them in you'll get used to it -- for me, after a song or two I forgot I even had them in.

The key for me is to put them in before the music starts. That way the you don't have what the music sounds like without them as a reference. You won't feel like you're missing anything...except unnecessary decibels. The other thing you won't miss are your ears aren't ringing after the show -- and constantly saying "What?" to people when you're 65.

All that said, YMMV.

• Like 1

If you wear earplus wear the foam ones.

Not the Stryrofoam ones. They are more flexible.

Have had to wear them periodically for work.

You learn what kinds to get.

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get construction ones.

More comfortable than the CVS kind

Edited by Disembodied Spirit

The last two Rush shows I went to (R30 and CA), I was sitting 8th row from the stage - R30 on Geddy's side, and CA on Alex's. When you are on the floor off to the side, you get situated directly under those big caterpillar-like speakers, and while its is meant to be a loud rock concert, the sound becomes oppressive. I didn't wear earplugs during that show, despite my already degenerating hearing loss (genetic loss, not from rocking out too much! LOL), and I regretted it. while the guys were excellent and I would never complain about the clarity of their sound, I was just bombarded with noise...to the point where it was uncomfortable. For CA, I decided to take some earplugs and give them a try. As 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said above, it takes a bit to get used to them. After a few minutes though, I was able to still hear crowd noise; but the music was clear. It wasn't drowned out by shear noise. Every now and again throughout the show, I would take one out to see the difference. Unbelievable how much noise gets filtered! This summer I'm going to try it again. I'm going to both Toronto shows, but the first night I'm sitting in the lower bowl at about a 45 deg. angle from the stage. The second night, I'm on the floor about 15 rows back...once again, right under the registers. I'll be curious to see if I need the plugs both nights though.

I've gone through periods where I've used them religiously, and was glad I did. These days it depends on the show, where I'm situated, etc.

Everyone is different, though. While they've worked for me, i know others who have never felt they benefited from wearing them.

Considering how lightweight earplugs are, it couldn't hurt for you to bring them and give it a try. If it's no good for you, just take them out.

• Like 2

I have never worn earplugs, but that's because I have tough ears. They have been through hell, but my hearing has always been the same. People who know me would probably not agree, but that's because I have selective hearing. I would say wear them if you are older, prone to hearing loss, or need your ears at their A-game after the concert, but if you don't fall under those categories, I say enjoy the concert as is.
  • Like 1

I would say wear them if you are older, prone to hearing loss, or need your ears at their A-game after the concert, but if you don't fall under those categories, I say enjoy the concert as is.

I completely disagree with this. Not wearing them when you're younger and going to a lot of loud events is what potentially leads to hearing problems later on.

• Like 3

Pfft. If you're up close, especially in front of a speaker stack, you're a fool not to wear them. Tinnitus sucks. If you're up in the upper bowls or terraces, sure you wont' need 'em. But anywhere within 20 rows of the stage should be wearing them.
  • Like 1

I started wearing earplugs to shows about 20 years ago when I first noticed never-ending ringing in the ears (Tinnitus). Too many loud concerts, power tools and crashing cymbals. I don't have it real bad and I don't want it to get worse, that's why I wear plugs. The best one's I've used are the Ear Peace HD, around $15 online. They are awesome, very little fidelity loss. Here's a link to their web site: http://www.earpeace.com/collections/high-fidelity-hearing-protection/products/earplugs.

Do you love music? Do you still want to hear that music when you're 70? Then wear ear protection!

It depends on the show. I do not wear earplugs to Rush shows, even when sitting up front. I have seen other bands who have been terribly loud, and earplugs are good in those cases. I f you are going to wear earplugs -- and you should if you are younger so you don't damage your hearing -- consider getting some high-quality plugs that will not distort the music, something like Etymotic plugs http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection.html

I started wearing earplugs to shows about 20 years ago when I first noticed never-ending ringing in the ears (Tinnitus). Too many loud concerts, power tools and crashing cymbals. I don't have it real bad and I don't want it to get worse, that's why I wear plugs. The best one's I've used are the Ear Peace HD, around $15 online. They are awesome, very little fidelity loss. Here's a link to their web site: http://www.earpeace....oducts/earplugs.

Do you love music? Do you still want to hear that music when you're 70? Then wear ear protection!

I could have written this....

Stupid or Naive when I was young & wouldn't be caught dead wearing ear plugs

Was proud to have "ringing" ear for days after loud concerts !

So now I live with a loud buzz in both ears 24/7

I always bring the foam style & use if needed, you can adjust them by how far in you put them

They in NO WAY DETRACT FROM THE CONCERT EXPERIENCE

• Like 1

The last two Rush shows I went to (R30 and CA), I was sitting 8th row from the stage - R30 on Geddy's side, and CA on Alex's. When you are on the floor off to the side, you get situated directly under those big caterpillar-like speakers, and while its is meant to be a loud rock concert, the sound becomes oppressive. I didn't wear earplugs during that show, despite my already degenerating hearing loss (genetic loss, not from rocking out too much! LOL), and I regretted it. while the guys were excellent and I would never complain about the clarity of their sound, I was just bombarded with noise...to the point where it was uncomfortable. For CA, I decided to take some earplugs and give them a try. As 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said above, it takes a bit to get used to them. After a few minutes though, I was able to still hear crowd noise; but the music was clear. It wasn't drowned out by shear noise. Every now and again throughout the show, I would take one out to see the difference. Unbelievable how much noise gets filtered! This summer I'm going to try it again. I'm going to both Toronto shows, but the first night I'm sitting in the lower bowl at about a 45 deg. angle from the stage. The second night, I'm on the floor about 15 rows back...once again, right under the registers. I'll be curious to see if I need the plugs both nights though.

This is good to know. I have never been very close in previous concerts so never bothered with plugs. Got row 11 for R40 so I'll probably give it a shot.

Edited by Homer J

Bottom line is that everything will sound muffled at first with earplugs, but your hearing will accommodate to that after several minutes, and you eventually only notice the difference when you take them out. It's like having wax impacted in your ears for a long time, then going to the doctor, and the doctor flushing it all out so he can see your eardrums. Suddenly, you notice how much louder and clearer everything sounds. Edited by HalfwayToGone

I have worn them when I was in the first 20 rows and for me it made the sound better. I heard less other noise. Can't say I would wear them being far away as I have never tried that.

I wear them sometimes now. I will have them with me. This reminds me of the loudest concert I ever attended and I probably have damage from it. Motorhead back in the day at the Danforth Music Hall. It was an all out assault!

Up until halfway through last year I've rarely worn earplugs (on a few occasions I did wear them). After I saw Mastodon live without earplugs I had noticeable ringing in my ears for two weeks and while most of the ringing is gone there's still a little bit of ringing if it's completely silent. I took that as a sign that I should start wearing earplugs permanently to avoid damaging my ears even more and I haven't looked back since.

An absolute must for me. I get the foam ones from CVS. They actually help serve as a sound filter. I will take them off for certain songs just to get the full effect but no way in hell I go to a show without them, especially on the floor. Those subs will kill your ears.

It depends on the show. I do not wear earplugs to Rush shows, even when sitting up front. I have seen other bands who have been terribly loud, and earplugs are good in those cases. I f you are going to wear earplugs -- and you should if you are younger so you don't damage your hearing -- consider getting some high-quality plugs that will not distort the music, something like Etymotic plugs http://www.etymotic....protection.html

I will second the Etymotic plugs. They get rid of the decibels but don't distort like foam ones do. Both my daughter and I are using them for the shows.