Geddy Ranks the First Nine Studio Albums

Geddyleegenes

Poor Fly By Night. :(

To be fair, it has great competition.

That it does. No matter how I rank them, I always wind up feeling bad and as if I betrayed an album or two by putting another one above it.

Absolutely. That was why I felt compelled to put points rankings next to each title on the list I posted. All of them comprise an incredible run.

I think he rated Fly By Night last only because it was their first album with Neil. He probably still feels like it's a less polished effort than the albums that came after. Plus it was the first album of Neil's lyrics. I completely understand why the debut album was where it was in the rankings.
  • Like 1

I agree with him on Exit Stage Left. I remember buying that one on the day it came out, Halloween 1981 and just looking at the song titles on the cover I thought it was going to be ultimate RUSH album. I was very disappointed after listening to it...

I wonder if this ranking has anything to do with songs he's been listening to for the upcoming tour? :)

That is a very interesting thing to wonder. :)

I hadn't thought about that.

• Like 1

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. 2112

4. Signals

5. Caress of Steel

6. A Farewell to Kings

7. Hemispheres

8. Fly by Night

9. RUSH

Kinda surprised that Geddy put Caress of Steel over Fly by Night really... considering how much they hate COS

Biggest surprise to me on what I thought Geddy would say is how low Signals is and how high 2112 is.

My List:

1) Hemispheres

2) AFTK

3) Moving Pictures

4) Permanent Waves

5) Signals --- Been really into this one lately, so it has a recent listening bump

6) 2112 --- IMO always been a one sided album. Side one is a masterpiece, Lessons is the only song on side 2 I truly love.

7) Caress of Steel

8) Fly by Night

9) Rush

The bigger question is does anything from Fly By Night or COS make the R40 Tour???

I have my doubts more than ever now.

• Like 1

I wonder if this ranking has anything to do with songs he's been listening to for the upcoming tour? :)

This is what I was thinking. In recent years he named 2112 as his favorite Rush album, so I think his ranking may be affected by what they have agreed to play live. Just had a wild thought.... Side 1 of 2112 plus Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures would fit in the allotted time. Boy would I give up anything else for that set list.

• Like 2

This is what I was thinking. In recent years he named 2112 as his favorite Rush album, so I think his ranking may be affected by what they have agreed to play live. Just had a wild thought.... Side 1 of 2112 plus Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures would fit in the allotted time. Boy would I give up anything else for that set list.

Me too.

• Like 1

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. 2112

4. Signals

5. Caress of Steel

6. A Farewell to Kings

7. Hemispheres

8. Fly by Night

9. RUSH

Kinda surprised that Geddy put Caress of Steel over Fly by Night really... considering how much they hate COS

Obviously they don't hate it as much as you think.

• Like 1

1)Signals.

2)Moving Pictures.

3)2112.

4)Hemispheres.

5)Permanent Waves.

6)A Farewell to Kings.

7)Caress of Steel.

8)Fly by Night.

9)Rush.

I guess I'm a weirdo, but I could never rank Rush, or other artist's albums for that matter, numerically. I just get cravings to listen to one thing over others for periods of time. But, I like it all kind of equally for various reasons (unless it's total shite ;)).

1. Moving Pictures

2. Permanent Waves

3. 2112

4. A Farewell to Kings

5. Signals

6. Fly By Night

7. Rush

8. Hemispheres

9. Caress of Steel

The only reason Hemispheres is so low is because nearly the entirety of side one is crap. Caress of Steel is just a disappointment in general.

1. Moving Pictures

2. Permanent Waves

3. 2112

4. A Farewell to Kings

5. Signals

6. Fly By Night

7. Rush

8. Hemispheres

9. Caress of Steel

The only reason Hemispheres is so low is because nearly the entirety of side one is crap. Caress of Steel is just a disappointment in general.

That's a surprise...You usually have such positive things to say about it ;) :LOL:

Everybody loves AFTK and i can't see it.......i'll have to keep on trying. When ranking every album. I always without fail.......forget AFTK exists. It's been over a decade since i first heard it.......but i won't give up.

Mick

1. Moving Pictures

2. Permanent Waves

3. 2112

4. A Farewell to Kings

5. Signals

6. Fly By Night

7. Rush

8. Hemispheres

9. Caress of Steel

That's a surprise...You usually have such positive things to say about it ;) :LOL:

Bastille Day is a 10.0. The rest range from 0.5-1.2 in my book.

Everybody loves AFTK and i can't see it.......i'll have to keep on trying. When ranking every album. I always without fail.......forget AFTK exists. It's been over a decade since i first heard it.......but i won't give up.

Mick

I appreciate AFtK for Xanadu and Closer to the Heart. Overall it's a middle-of-the-pack album for me.

• Like 1