Geddy Ranks the First Nine Studio Albums

Geddyleegenes

Everybody loves AFTK and i can't see it.......i'll have to keep on trying. When ranking every album. I always without fail.......forget AFTK exists. It's been over a decade since i first heard it.......but i won't give up.

Mick

I appreciate AFtK for Xanadu and Closer to the Heart. Overall it's a middle-of-the-pack album for me.

Exactly my thoughts......without those 2......i just don't see what's there is to come back to........but i keep trying because everyone's in love, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Everybody loves AFTK and i can't see it.......i'll have to keep on trying. When ranking every album. I always without fail.......forget AFTK exists. It's been over a decade since i first heard it.......but i won't give up.

Mick

I appreciate AFtK for Xanadu and Closer to the Heart. Overall it's a middle-of-the-pack album for me.

Exactly my thoughts......without those 2......i just don't see what's there is to come back to........but i keep trying because everyone's in love, lol

Mick

The title track, Cinderella Man, Cygnus X-1 etc etc.... :facepalm:
  • Like 4

Mick

Mick

Agh! That's right! I forgot about Cygnus X-1! :facepalm: ten and a half minutes of epicness!

Mick

Mick

they're good-ish.....i guess?

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Mick

Mick

Mick

Oh geez. No problem however. We all have our own tastes I suppose... :)

Mick

Mick

^ This times 100, at least.

• Like 2

Loves me some AFTK except Cygnus X-1. It has some cool moments (opening bass riff), but it gets way to self-indulgent and starts to sound cheesy like Spinal Tap. I think I read that Neil detests X-1 as well. Book 2 on Hemispheres is a whole other story...definately top 10.
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

i geuss i'll just have to say i'm wrong and leave it alone :LOL: this record will always confuse me......but.....silver lining.....i do not hate it. i't's just......fine. it's fine.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

i geuss i'll just have to say i'm wrong and leave it alone :LOL: this record will always confuse me......but.....silver lining.....i do not hate it. i't's just......fine. it's fine.

Mick

I'll take that. :cheers: It was my first new release purchase after I had worn everything out released before it. I have always held it in the highest reverence....
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Mick

I'll take that. :cheers: It was my first new release purchase after I had worn everything out released before it. I have always held it in the highest reverence....

I CAN'T dislike a record with Xanadu. Which is one of the best prog songs ever written.

Mick

• Like 3

Let's see for me....

1. Permanent Waves

2. 2112

3. Moving Pictures

4. Signals

5. Hemispheres

6. A Farewell To Kings

7. Caress Of Steel

8. Fly By Night

9. RUSH

Geddy did give a brief explanation as to why he ranked the albums the way he did when Eddie Trunk asked him. Geddy said that it had to do with the songwriting for each album. He ranked FBN the lowest because with Neil being new to the band he felt it was a transitional album musically.

Him ranking the debut that high makes sense to me if he's ranking them based on the songwriting process. The debut has the first songs he ever wrote, so i'm sure he has a lot of fond memories making that album.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

You guys are on point with my thinking.

Mick

Mick

Mick

You are a generous man.

I will say that the title and cover art kick ass, which frames the listening experience. It inspired Narp's wicked tat...which is enough to rank it high in my book.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Mick

You are a generous man.

I will say that the title and cover art kick ass, which frames the listening experience. It inspired Narp's wicked tat...which is enough to rank it high in my book.

oh god....i'm not alone.......it's like finding water in the desert, lol

AFTK.......And the crowd goes.......mild?

at least in my house.

Mick

Mick

Mick

Yes! Even Madrigal puts everything on the dumpster fire known as Presto to shame.

• Like 1

I'm pretty close to Geddy. Though I like it, I wouldn't put their first album above any of the others, and I'd swap FBN and COS. Otherwise I could go with his list.
  • Like 1

Poor Fly By Night. :(

To be fair, it has great competition.

With all of the general agreement about what a great run the first nine studio albums are, I feel I should express that the run from Grace Under Pressure through Presto is fantastic as well.

• Like 1

Hard to argue with Geddy since it is his artwork. That being said I would rank them this way:

9 CoS

8 Rush

7 Hemispheres

6 Signals

5 AFTK

4 FBN

3 PW

2 MP

1 2112

I totally agree with Geddy about ATWAS over Exit. Exit just sounds sterile and lifeless to me. ATWAS is full of boundless energy - its wonderful.

The second 10..

Windows

Snakes

T4E

Presto

Counterparts

CA

VT

HYF

GUP

50 feet of crap

RTB

Now this one is interesting, since I saw your other list with a positive ranking of Signals. You like Signals but don't like Grace Under Pressure?

Signals is one of my 3 favorite albums by anyone. Anytime. Yes it's true. Its cold and calculated to me. I know its kind of supposed to be but there are 4 tunes I solodly love on it. DEW , Afteimage, enemy, and wheels.

I'm a little late here but all these songs you listed are from GUP not Signals..? Or am I confused, yes I guess I am :laughing guy:

Edited by Rhyta