From the Vaults of The Yukon Blade Grinder: Grace Under Pressure RS review

Tombstone Mountain

The Measure of a D*ck  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is Kurt Loder a D*ck?

• No--He's a critic worthy of all praise
    • Hell Yes--He's the REASON we hate RollingStone

I just had to bring this out and let The Rush Forum have some good red meat to gnaw on. Look up "tool" or "Doosh" in the dictionary, and there resides a picture of the man who wrote this review for "Grace Under Pressure".

This album needs no critical assistance: If you like Rush, you'll love it; if not, then Grace Under Pressure is unlikely to alter your assessment of the band as a lumbering metal anachronism.

For the record, though, Rush has managed to incorporate a number of modern elements into its sound (note the almost danceable rhythms in "Afterimage" and "Red Sector A," and the swelling synthesizers and electropercussion throughout). Geddy Lee, the group's bassist and vocalist, has also gotten his dog-calling falsetto shriek under control.

But these signs of incipient hipness are not what sets young pulses racing throughout the North American heartland. Rush is a band with a message. Briefly put, it's "Be free, and don't let the grown-up world grind you down." Thus, on "The Enemy Within," Lee sings, "I'm not giving in/To security under pressure/I'm not missing out/On the promise of adventure." And the hero of drummer-lyricist Neil Peart's sci-fi allegory, "The Body Electric," is an "android on the run, seeking freedom."

The problem, though, is musical. On record, the lack of melody and any but the most rudimentary harmonic development soon becomes oppressive. In addition, Alex Lifeson is not a particularly interesting lead guitarist, and the strictures of the trio format still result in more splattery drum bashing than you'll ever care to hear. Rush delivers the goods, all right: strong social statements enveloped in a massive, pounding sound. But it's old news, and old music, too.

From The Archives Issue 759: May 1, 1997

http://www.quotessays.com/images/kurt-loder-3.jpg

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

As TRF ambassador for this album I can unequivocally state that Loder clearly isn't a Rush fan, and moreover, doesn't know his ass from a hole in the wall.

First of all, he blows his whole assessment right off the bat, Rush as metal? Uh, no, Rush is not a metal band, never was. Get your genres straight before pigeonholing, Mr. MTV. :)

Dog-calling falsetto shriek? Um, sure, okay. Nope, he's not one of the millions of rock fans who can't stand 'geddy lee's voice.' (cue dum dum dum ominous overtone here). You either 'get' Geddy or you don't. There's little to no middle ground. We Rush nerds know this. :)

Danceable rhythms in Red Sector A? Please show me where, exactly. Lack of melody, rudimentary harmony, Alex not a particularly interesting guitarist, splattery of drum bashing? LOL, okay, yep, we get it, Kurt. (though I seem to recall your fondness for new wave, so your rock critiques are to be taken completely seriously, of course).

I would put up Afterimage and Distant Early Warning against anything from PeW, MP, and Signals as additional worthy inclusion in their collection of core songs and identity. Kid Gloves and Red Lenses......oh f**k it. I'm not going to do a blow by blow song by song analysis as to why GuP is one of Rush's strongest LPs just yet. But soon.

More to follow, sometime, about the nuances (both strong and weak) of GuP, possibly Rush's most underrated 80s album.

Edited by Van Squalen
  • Like 3

As TRF ambassador for this album I can unequivocally state that Loder clearly isn't a Rush fan, and moreover, doesn't know his ass from a hole in the wall.

First of all, he blows his whole assessment right off the bat, Rush as metal? Uh, no, Rush is not a metal band, never was. Get your genres straight before pigeonholing, Mr. MTV. :)

Dog-calling falsetto shriek? Um, sure, okay. Nope, he's not one of the millions of rock fans who can't stand 'geddy lee's voice.' (cue dum dum dum ominous overtone here). You either 'get' Geddy or you don't. There's little to no middle ground. We Rush nerds know this. :)

Danceable rhythms in Red Sector A? Please show me where, exactly. Lack of melody, rudimentary harmony, Alex not a particularly interesting guitarist, splattery of drum bashing? LOL, okay, yep, we get it, Kurt. (though I seem to recall your fondness for new wave, so your rock critiques are to be taken completely seriously, of course).

I would put up Afterimage and Distant Early Warning against anything from PeW, MP, and Signals as additional worthy inclusion in their collection of core songs and identity. Kid Gloves and Red Lenses......oh f**k it. I'm not going to do a blow by blow song by song analysis as to why GuP is one of Rush's strongest LPs just yet. But soon.

More to follow, sometime, about the nuances (both strong and weak) of GuP, possibly Rush's most underrated 80s album.

Full of red meat like I said. Dude didn't even listen to the record

GuP isn't my favorite album, but the criticisms Curt levies are just misinformed. Everyone has different opinions, but when you say that people who think of Rush as a "metal lumbering anachronism" won't have a differing opinion of the band, they either haven't heard Rush or don't want to.
  • Like 1

I remembering biking down to the local Record Factory to pick up "Grace" on cassette. I raced home on my bike. Sprinted into my room and put the cassette into my Pioneer tape deck stereo.

Upon one listening as a 16 year old I instantly fell in LOVE!!!!!!!! I remember sitting there in my room listening "Red Lenses" for the first time and my jaw was dropped.

I am the Universal Leader then of this album, "Hemispheres" is my all time favorite Seventies album,. "Grace Under Pressure" is my all time favorite 80's album. Yep! The guitar solo alone on "Between The Wheels" still gives me chills. Simple yet forceful with a f***ing ton of melody.

Let's not forget the album art of "GUP." When I was a junior in high school I did a watercolor of Hugh's art. I got an honorable mention.

"Grace Under Pressure" is a modern masterpiece that is completely underrated. Fukk the masses.

Could you imagine if Rush played "Afterimage" in 2015? I would shit!

• Like 3

Lumbering metal what? I thought the band was more "prog-rock" by then, Kurt should know better. I'd like to see Kurt's list of ten interesting guitar players at that time, Andy Taylor of Duran Duran?
  • Like 1

Everyone here already brought up most of the points, so I'll just comment on "not an interesting lead guitarist". This fuckhead would rather hear The Cars or The Tubes play their pedestrian little guitar rhythms and got uncomfortable cause he heard real and MUSICAL guitar solos in here. Go listen to your Pet Shop Boys, shithead, cause you wouldn't know a rock album if it hit you in the junk.

Grace Under Pressure is my favorite album (so is Counterparts) One main reason is Alex's guitar. Some of his most beautiful guitar playing with a great tone.

This guy probably heard Red Sector A on the radio and never actually listened to the rest with an active ear.

Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 3

Eh, the guy's a jaggoff, no arguing there. But, i can't say its my favorite album. For me it took a couple listens to like it, you know. One guy on youtube reviewed it, and brought up a good point. The album doesn't slow down at all. It just keeps building up. As the guy said, there's no 'sigh' moment. The songs are great, but listening to it on its own is hard for me. But Listening to it in order between Signals and PoW, its awesome.