Drummers! Did you see WHIPLASH?

H. P. L.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/whiplash.jpg

Just saw it and it rekindled my love for jazz. I'd like to know the opinions of drummers here, what do you think of the movie?

Is it true you have to go through Full Metal Jacket training to truly become a great? Is it the only way?

I had artistic training when I was in my 20s. One teacher would be a real SoB and push me, another one would be a "good job" (see the movie to understand what it means) kinda guy. I hated the guts of the first one, but by the end of the year I had made a HUGE jump in quality. I loved the other one, but probably sat on my laurels during his classes, never going beyond average results.

But to these days, I still treasure the latter's teachings more. All the former did was give me technique. Something I still carry with me as well.

So I just stuck my foot in my mouth. What do you think?

Edited by H. P. L.
  • Like 1

Holy Fukking Shit! I just watched this movie tonight! I am fuckking blown away. I had my Vater pad on the coffee table and I drummed on that pad to the whole film.

My hands aren't bleeding but they are sore.

"Halloween" is my favorite movie.

"Whiplash" is one of the greatest movies ever made.

Not sure if most of humanity will agree with my statement but as a drummer, it truly is.

I bet Neil wishes he could play like that.

Jazz is truly a lost art form.

I'm going to hit the Jazz sections of my favorite record stores.

Time for some "Kind Of Blue."

Love,

"SO WHAT!"

• Like 3

I`m not a Drummer but I have seen it .

I liked it , but not worth the hype its had .

Was it me or was the Drum solo at the end sound like a bit of Neil`s drum Solo`s in the 70`s ? :eh:

I`m not a Drummer but I have seen it .

I liked it , but not worth the hype its had .

Was it me or was the Drum solo at the end sound like a bit of Neil`s drum Solo`s in the 70`s ? :eh:

Hahaha! We drummers are fuckking crazy.

I loved the movie. No hype at all. Pure BLISS!

I'm trying to get my wife and girls to watch it. They have no interest. It's sad really.

I went out and picked up a few Miles Davis box sets. I also picked up the "Whiplash" cd soundtrack, It's bloody brilliant.

Different strokes.

God I'm a whore.

From prog to hair metal to Jazz.

I love it all.

I'm going to watch "Whiplash" again!

I just did a ten minute jazz drum solo. Something I've never done before. I kept the ride going in a swing format through the entire solo. It was so fun!

I'm a Neil Clone so I never practiced swing until tonight!

I'm finally finding my own style. Now I need a band!

• Like 2

I just did a ten minute jazz drum solo. Something I've never done before. I kept the ride going in a swing format through the entire solo. It was so fun!

Love that Jazz! I dig rock music, but for solos I'd rather here a jazz drummer go at it.

Like Ralph Peterson or

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Love that Jazz! I dig rock music, but for solos I'd rather here a jazz drummer go at it.

Like Ralph Peterson or

You are awesome Goose! Yep! I just did my first "jazz" drum solo and I loved it! More feel more soul!

• Like 1

It stays in your head too. I watched it yesterday and keep remembering a few scenes.

Yeah, me too. I have a class tomorrow. I wonder if I should go "Fletcher style" over the poor kids. :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: