Def Leppard

JohnRogers

one second of any 70s or 80s rush song obliterates the entire careers of e'nuff z'nuff, bulletboys, def leppard, ratt, winger, warrant, poison, britny fox, firehouse, cinderella, all of em.

I do like early motley crue, a few WASP albums, and twisted sister. I also like the first 2 skid row records, so I'm not totally anti-hair, but it ain't my thing. and any 70s/80s rush still shits on that stuff, imo

Well, let's stick with Pyromania.

I'm a Rush fan, so I can find something to enjoy on every album. We can probably debate the first 5 albums vs. Pyromania (I'm still going with Pyromania though). I'm surprised though that you would say that Pyromania sounds dated, and stuff like PoW and HYF doesn't. They scream 1980s synth pop.

• Like 1

I don't mind Def Leppard. The have some good professional rock songs. But I never got the impression that they were artists, they came across more as craftsmen. They sound and appear very calculating and deliberate. Not original, but not insulting. I leave that to Bon Jovi...
  • Like 1

one second of any 70s or 80s rush song obliterates the entire careers of e'nuff z'nuff, bulletboys, def leppard, ratt, winger, warrant, poison, britny fox, firehouse, cinderella, all of em.

I do like early motley crue, a few WASP albums, and twisted sister. I also like the first 2 skid row records, so I'm not totally anti-hair, but it ain't my thing. and any 70s/80s rush still shits on that stuff, imo

Well, let's stick with Pyromania.

I'm a Rush fan, so I can find something to enjoy on every album. We can probably debate the first 5 albums vs. Pyromania (I'm still going with Pyromania though). I'm surprised though that you would say that Pyromania sounds dated, and stuff like PoW and HYF doesn't. They scream 1980s synth pop.

haha, I never said my taste was consistent. I think power windows and hold your fire sound very dated, I just happen to really like them. that stuff seems to have a lot more to it than debbie gibson or tiffany or something, imo, but it's definitely dated synth pop. what I meant about def leppard is that pretty much everyone I know who likes them was either a teen in the 80s or is the son/daughter of someone who was a teen in the 80s and has heard def leppard since birth. peter frampton is another artist who seems like a "had to be there" type, because no one younger than 50 is into him.

I don't mind Def Leppard. The have some good professional rock songs. But I never got the impression that they were artists, they came across more as craftsmen. They sound and appear very calculating and deliberate. Not original, but not insulting. I leave that to Bon Jovi...

I get what you mean. after high n dry, they get a bit too polished and pro for me. of course, rush have sounded totally polished and professional since, what, 1980? so I might just be talking out of my ass.

Yet the older Geddy Lee looked great...I presume older anyway.

Geddy is 61, Joe is 55.

That's incredible. You can tell Geddy didn't drink a lot or do a lot of drugs back in the day. Geddy looks great! So does Alex!

Joe must be a cigarette smoker and a boozer. "ME AND MY WINE! Great fuckking song!

• Like 1

I dont think any memeber of Rush drank or anything to the point of abuse. But The guys have aged pretty well. They are definetly no teatotallers. Can't say for sure but Elliot looks likehe still tosses the liquor back. His voice is shot he's face looks puffy like he just stumbled out of a pub at 11:30 and is pissed cuz he missed the last Tube home.
  • Like 1

I love Def Leppard. Pyromania is a masterpiece. It was just overplayed. MTV didn't help.

Give me some Dokken baby!

Anyway I must say that "Slang" is one of the worst albums in the world!

Love DL and you are right SLANG is one of the worse albums...and I think the band knows that too. Horrible.

I always hear the same argument about Def Leppard..... but, but, but a great live show.

To me that's like saying it's okay for your team to constantly lose because they have nice uniforms.

Call me the old fogey (I am getting there, I know it), but I agree with LABT on Def Leppard on their meaningful peak at On Through the Night and High N Dry. Pyromania was okay and I will even say there are some pieces of Hysteria that were decent. But the more pop, glam, radio-oriented they got, the more I tuned them out.

• Like 1

In my inbox was a notice that Def Leppard was touring this year. What??? How is this imitation maple syrup mess still touring?

Def Leppard are an amazing live band.

Great musicians, fun music and they have a deep appreciation for all things rock and roll.

They always give their fans their money's worth live.

I saw them summer of 2012. They were fantastic. Perfect sound, and their performance was full of energy. Got to hear a lot of good deep cuts that night, like Gods Of War, Saturday Night (High N' Dry), etc. Amazing show. Only downside was that I had to sit through Lita Ford and Poison before the Lep came out roaring.

I saw that tour as well...fantastic!

I saw them tour with Kiss last summer...

...they blew Kiss off the stage, even with all of the Kiss theatrics.

Kiss was the reason I DIDN'T go see Def Leppard last summer. Kiss are absolute trash now. Paul can't sing and hasn't been able to sing since Ace left the band.

Hell, they should have actually called it after the Farewell Tour, like they were supposed to.

As for the original comment which started this thread I will sort of agree - in a backhanded way. How are they still touring?? Good question. Look what they have gone through over the years. (1) Pete Willis tossed out. (2) Rick's arm. (3) Steve Clark RIP (4) Joe's voice aint close to what it was (5) Vivian's cancer.

Yet they go on - and many are we blessed and lucky that they do. They put on a great live show.

I agree with many of the comments about them going down hill. Their first 3 albums were great. Hysteria had some good songs. Even the follow up to that had some good stuff. Since then - no. But many they can play live.

I agree with the comment about skipping them last years because of them playing with KISS. Thats what I did. This year I may try to ho see them with Tesla (who I saw them with back on the Hysteria Tour) and Styx.

As for the 2012 show - IMHO that was a great show. I agree DL was fantastic. Only I would disagree with the review of Lita Ford & Poison. Lita was ok. Poison was like DL - fantastic. Every time I have seen them they have put on a great live show.

I don't know how DL is still going but, IMO, man are we lucky they are. Same is true about Poison - another fantastic live act.

• Like 1

In my inbox was a notice that Def Leppard was touring this year. What??? How is this imitation maple syrup mess still touring?

Def Leppard are an amazing live band.

Great musicians, fun music and they have a deep appreciation for all things rock and roll.

They always give their fans their money's worth live.

I saw them summer of 2012. They were fantastic. Perfect sound, and their performance was full of energy. Got to hear a lot of good deep cuts that night, like Gods Of War, Saturday Night (High N' Dry), etc. Amazing show. Only downside was that I had to sit through Lita Ford and Poison before the Lep came out roaring.

I saw that tour as well...fantastic!

I saw them tour with Kiss last summer...

...they blew Kiss off the stage, even with all of the Kiss theatrics.

Kiss was the reason I DIDN'T go see Def Leppard last summer. Kiss are absolute trash now. Paul can't sing and hasn't been able to sing since Ace left the band.

Hell, they should have actually called it after the Farewell Tour, like they were supposed to.

As for the original comment which started this thread I will sort of agree - in a backhanded way. How are they still touring?? Good question. Look what they have gone through over the years. (1) Pete Willis tossed out. (2) Rick's arm. (3) Steve Clark RIP (4) Joe's voice aint close to what it was (5) Vivian's cancer.

Yet they go on - and many are we blessed and lucky that they do. They put on a great live show.

I agree with many of the comments about them going down hill. Their first 3 albums were great. Hysteria had some good songs. Even the follow up to that had some good stuff. Since then - no. But many they can play live.

I agree with the comment about skipping them last years because of them playing with KISS. Thats what I did. This year I may try to ho see them with Tesla (who I saw them with back on the Hysteria Tour) and Styx.

As for the 2012 show - IMHO that was a great show. I agree DL was fantastic. Only I would disagree with the review of Lita Ford & Poison. Lita was ok. Poison was like DL - fantastic. Every time I have seen them they have put on a great live show.

I don't know how DL is still going but, IMO, man are we lucky they are. Same is true about Poison - another fantastic live act.

I agree with you about Poison.

I was going to sit their set out and am so glad I didn't.

It was one of the most surprising sets in my nearly 40 years of concert going.

They were so good live.