Babies?

Disk98

Infants and arena shows do not go together at all. Heck, infants and any loud show do not go together at all! Not only is it bad for the child, it is bad for the people around this person as well. Two words...... COMMON SENSE.

Can't believe this thread is stil going, of course very small children/infants really shouldn't be at rock concerts...on the other hand, they are much easier to manage when crowd surfing :tsk:

I did see a young teen a wheelchair being surfed around at a Green Day concert...somewhat scary to the point Billie Joe paused the song to check that the kid was OK...young man was smiling from ear to ear and said heck yeah he was OK! :haz:

My son was 9 when I brought him to his first Rush show. I took the same steps you state with regard to bringing him.

Of Course the answer to OP is a simple ..... NO ! :tsk:

But when did bringing kids, Any kids, to "rock" concerts become acceptable ?

I Guarantee when I saw Rush for the 1st time in 1980, NO parent brought their kid to that show !

Same for ALL the 100's of Rock concerts I attended from lets say 1980/1985

My kids were 8yrs & 10yrs in 1990 & it never ever even crossed my mind to bring them to a rock concert.

Was I a bad parent ? :huh:

I will have to ask them now that they are in there 30's if they felt deprived about this,

But I do know they both attend "rock" concerts & have 3 kids each from 4yrs to 15yrs old

They have Never brought any of them to these shows

Now-A-Days, Unless it's a 21 & over only show,

I'm tripping over all these rug rats running around...... :oops:

I have wondered the same thing. When DID it become ok to bring kids?

Bad idea in general. Esp hard rock shows. Maybe Jack Johnson, okay. Rush? Van Halen? Ozzy? Not so much.

In 1977 I saw KISS when I was barely 10. We had nosebleeds at MSG. My brother was 12. Our parents dropped us of at our entry gate and were waiting for us there when we came out.

You were about 2 years too young then. I saw Van Halen at the Forum when I was 12. The next year I was at the UsFest at 13. I said 10 or younger is dumb, and it is. But it's good you made it out alive and undamaged. :)

Van Squalen--having done it, I would disagree. But I'm not the average, and at 10 was not the average kid. I grew up at a time when kids were running around my neighborhood unsupervised by age 5, and it was generally considered normal by everyone in the neighborhood. Mind you, I didn't grow up in Manhattan. It was a quiet neighborhood where everyone's door was unlocked most of the time. Things are different now. People are much more private and much more paranoid, and kids are being raised to become much more disturbed adults at least partially because of the way they are sheltered from reality, and trained to be fearful of their own independence.

But again, I veer off topic. I'd agree with everybody when it comes to babies at shows. It's a rare case that I'd even consider that acceptable, and that's assuming it's a show designed for little kids, like Sesame On Ice, or Disney. Even those shows aren't intended for pre-verbal children, so anyway you look at it, it's not a good idea.

Edited by HalfwayToGone

Van Squalen--having done it, I would disagree. But I'm not the average, and at 10 was not the average kid. I grew up at a time when kids were running around my neighborhood unsupervised by age 5, and it was generally considered normal by everyone in the neighborhood. Mind you, I didn't grow up in Manhattan. It was a quiet neighborhood where everyone's door was unlocked most of the time. Things are different now. People are much more private and much more paranoid, and kids are being raised to become much more disturbed adults at least partially because of the way they are sheltered from reality, and trained to be fearful of their own independence.

But again, I veer off topic. I'd agree with everybody when it comes to babies at shows. It's a rare case that I'd even consider that acceptable, and that's assuming it's a show designed for little kids, like Sesame On Ice, or Disney. Even those shows aren't intended for pre-verbal children, so anyway you look at it, it's not a good idea.

Yeah, I did that stuff young too. But that doesn't mean it was okay. It just means you and I were anomalies. Exceptions to the rule. That said, even in the 70s and 80s, little kids at concerts were frowned upon, less for the hearing noise, far more for the raging party scene pretty universal to the arena concert ambiance.

Seriously, people...your kid should be at least 12 years old before you take them or let them go to an arena hard rock show.

Seriously, people...your kid should be at least 12 years old before you take them or let them go to an arena hard rock show.

I totally agree. 12 years old was the age I was when I saw my first concert. :D

• Like 1

Actually the trend in parenting that bothers me most is the tendency for everyone to be in constant fear of their kids being harmed by anything and everything, to the point that kids are never left alone to do whatever they want anymore. That's not to say there aren't parents who are too much the opposite, to the point of neglect, which is just as bad, but the general mainstream seems to be for parents to be paranoid at every turn that their child will be molested, killed, turned into drug addicts, or gang members, etc. if they aren't protected and sheltered every second. It actually does more to infantilize generations of people than to protect them. Kids need to learn some things through experience, and learn their limitations and capabilities. Over sheltering kids from reality is just as bad as throwing them to the wolves, and being overly indulgent or permissive. There needs to be some balance. In this particular case I happen to agree that bringing a 6 month baby to a concert is not looking after a child's best interest--it's putting the parent's selfish desire in front of what's best for their child, and I think to some extent, parents taking their somewhat older kids to concerts with them are doing a similar thing. Kids who love their parents will learn what their parents want them to like and not to like, so I mostly agree that what you're talking about is not necessarily healthy bonding, although on the other hand, it may not always be the worst case scenario for every family or parent-child relationship either.

I thought he was describing Hemispheres there for a moment.

the baby probably shouldn't even listen to a stream of the show on good headphones, let alone attend the show itself

He'll probably try to eat the headphones, anyway.

• Like 1

As long as the volume is low enough, music is fine for kids, and as long as they aren't scared by whatever it is they're hearing. They certainly shouldn't be "subjected" to it. If parents just pay attention to their kids' reactions it's easy enough to figure out. If a baby appears to be delighted when it hears something, it's probably fine.

Exposing an infant to lots of weed smoke is not fine. Once a kid is old enough to be educated about drugs, and can understand that just because other people are smoking weed, it doesn't mean that it's ok, then it's ok to talk to them about it and for them to see what really goes on. Most of all kids take their cues from how their families behave in such situations, so be a good model for your kids and they'll probably be ok.

Edited by HalfwayToGone

Nice to see some people with common sense. The baby is not coming with us, my dad made that very clear. I do think my 8-year-old brother may be coming with us. He has shown interest, though he never directly asked to go. Dad says he's welcome to come with us, but the kid shies away when he's asked about it. And my uncle (who lives in Brooklyn) wants to come with us, too. This is going to be awesome. :rush:
  • Like 2

As long as the volume is low enough, music is fine for kids, and as long as they aren't scared by whatever it is they're hearing. They certainly shouldn't be "subjected" to it. If parents just pay attention to their kids' reactions it's easy enough to figure out. If a baby appears to be delighted when it hears something, it's probably fine.

Exposing an infant to lots of weed smoke is not fine. Once a kid is old enough to be educated about drugs, and can understand that just because other people are smoking weed, it doesn't mean that it's ok, then it's ok to talk to them about it and for them to see what really goes on. Most of all kids take their cues from how their families behave in such situations, so be a good model for your kids and they'll probably be ok.

Weed smoke? Last time I smelled pot or smoked pot at a concert was in the 80's.

Maybe an outside concert its possible and probable.

But since smoking anything is not allowed, how does one even get to smoke at the show? I am asking.

I would love to bring a joint. But I would not like being thrown out either.

So, are people actually smoking inside at shows, I guess is my question.

They were not at the last Rush concert here. Time Machine.

Edited by John V

Uh, yes, people still smoke weed at concerts. LOL. A lot.

And those of you who think bringing young children to hard rock arena concerts is okay in some degrees...you're mistaken. You're taking a risk. But to each to their own, I guess.

• Like 2

So my stepmother wants to bring my baby brother to the Newark show. She nurses, but I guess she doesn't want to miss out on all the fun. Problem is, my baby brother by that time will be just six months old. Is that really a good idea?

I am sorry but that is pure insanity. Grow up and stop being selfish. Either get a sitter or be a mom and know you make sacrifices in your life when you have kids.

Holy crap man.

Uh, yes, people still smoke weed at concerts. LOL. A lot.

And those of you who think bringing young children to hard rock arena concerts is okay in some degrees...you're mistaken. You're taking a risk. But to each to their own, I guess.

I always smell weed at Rush shows to this day.

Listen I took my kid to 3 shows already (he was 6 when he met Alex and Geddy and wore ear plugs and loved every second of the show) he had no clue what was going on around him nor knew what that "smell" was. at 8 years old I took him to the CA tour in 2013. He loved every second of it again. He will be 10 when I take him to R40 this May. I have had the drug talk with him at length in the last year.

Everyone raises their children differently. Every kid is different. My son has been playing the drums since 3 years old and genuinely loves the band. I knew he would appreciate it. When he met Alex and Geddy they ate it up and he remembers it well to this day. Here I was waiting to meet these guys for 30 plus years....and my son, wife and I get a meet and greet and it was all about him. Priceless. Alex knelt down gave him a high five and gave him a couple of picks, Geddy was telling him how cool his shirt was (wearing a Red Rush Explosion shirt) I was merely a bump on a log LOL!!! Geddy also knelt down to pose with my beautiful wife (hey Geddy...ease back man). I got one sentence in when I asked Geddy if he had caught a baseball game (spring training) in Jupiter while he was down here...he said...no. LOL.

Rush concerts these days are generally a family atmosphere (as are Kiss concerts). I have not had any issues. But babies?

No way. Gotta draw a line somewhere. She won't be able to enjoy herself and don't subject an infant to that decibel level.

Edited by Todem

But since smoking anything is not allowed, how does one even get to smoke at the show? I am asking.

They were in Ft. Lauderdale when we last saw Rush,

My girlfriend asked me what that smell was? I said. :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :D

They were in Ft. Lauderdale when we last saw Rush,

My girlfriend asked me what that smell was? I said. :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :D

I expect weed for the price of those tickets.

Have smelled weed at concerts for 30 years, nothing changes.

• Like 1

Gen X people have made 'classic rock' shows into sometime family events, yes. That doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Look, it's your right to raise your kids how you see fit. But the facts are, if you've taken your young ones to arena rock shows, they're going to be exposed inadvertently to weed or tobacco smoke, or both. Plus the dangers of being a small-framed human being in a mass often drunken crowd. You may think it's okay, and by and large it is, you don't hear a lot about kids dying at rock shows unless they're teenagers overdosing.

But the bottom line is, you're still putting your kids at risk when they're that young in such a volatile and frequently illicit setting.

Caveat emptor....

Edited by Van Squalen

Gen X people have made 'classic rock' shows into sometime family events, yes. That doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Look, it's your right to raise your kids how you see fit. But the facts are, if you've taken your young ones to arena rock shows, they're going to be exposed inadvertently to weed or tobacco smoke, or both. Plus the dangers of being a small-framed human being in a mass often drunken crowd. You may think it's okay, and by and large it is, you don't hear a lot about kids dying at rock shows unless they're teenagers overdosing.

But the bottom line is, you're still putting your kids at risk when they're that young in such a volatile and frequently illicit setting.

Caveat emptor....

Again my kid has only seen now 3 bands live in his young life:

Rush (3 times)

Kiss (2 times)

Bon Jovi (one time)

The crowds at these shows are all Gen X'ers and we never even had an issue at all with rowdy drunk people. All but one time we sat in the lower bowl to the side of the stage. And once on the floor in the 10th row and that was his first Rush Show and the crowd around us were great.

It is our choice, and we are not the over protective "helicopter" parent types that I see everywhere today.

Will he be regularly attending shows? No of course not.

My first show was 12 years of age. It was Rush. I wish I could have gone even younger but at that time.....the crowds were all teenagers and 20 somethings and lot's and lot's of drugs everywhere. Totally different era now at Rush and Kiss shows.

I would never take him to any hair metal band shows or current modern rock shows. The crowd is not conducive for a family show. Rush/Kiss and even Bon Jovi were family show atmospheres all the way. And the way these bands are pricing shows now keeps a lot of the drunk moron riff raff types either in the upper decks or not at the show.

it's just a different vibe and crowd at some of these older bands shows these days. And as I said every parent knows their kid better than anyone else. I know plenty of kids my son's age who are not ready nor mature enough to attend a rock concert.

But a 6 month old baby? GTFOH......insanity.

Edited by Todem

You're still taking a risk, man. There's no getting around it. Arena rock shows are what they are. You've simply just enjoyed pure luck. There are plenty of dumb drunken fools at shows like Rush, KISS, and Bon Jovi. I know. I've seen 'em. I've rumbled with them. You're qualifying something that's an exception, not the general rule. You can state 'over protective' all you like, but there's a risk, and you can't deny it. There's a reason why that many people in one place require yellow jacked security and cops all over the place. Do the math.

Last two tours I saw few kids there. Mostly fortysomething guys but a good range from twenties to sixty. Saw one vicious fight, a few scuffles, girls screaming threats at other girls, some parking lot incidents. Smelled weed at both, and drunks. A woman fell down drunk near the bathroom. I must have missed the family atmosphere.
  • Like 1

My daughter started going to concerts with me when she was 4. Her first show was the Grateful Dead. She was 5 when she went to her first show on the T4E tour. She has seen multiple shows on every tour since and we are going to 3 shows on the R40 tour. Now she is 23 and in Grad school at the University Of Georgia so I guess it didn't hurt her to bad.
  • Like 1

Well, the issue has already been solved, but I also have to add my own "no" to the OP.

That said, I also want to mention that I had taken my then almost 6 year old to see Rush during the R30 tour. It was at an amphitheater (RIP Polaris Amphitheater in Columbus, Ohio), which mitigated the sound issue somewhat (we were on the lawn). I also took along a set of earplugs for him. About 2 minutes after the show started, he asked to take them out because he couldn't hear the music.

His next concert was Clockwork Angels, this time, at an indoor arena.

These are still the only two concerts he's ever been to. He won't be going this year, unless he can get there on his own. He's still in Ohio and I've moved to South Carolina, and will be seeing Rush in Greensboro.

Would have been nice to take him to see R40...