Babies?

Disk98

My son was 9 when I brought him to his first Rush show. I took the same steps you state with regard to bringing him.

Of Course the answer to OP is a simple ..... NO ! :tsk:

But when did bringing kids, Any kids, to "rock" concerts become acceptable ?

I Guarantee when I saw Rush for the 1st time in 1980, NO parent brought their kid to that show !

Same for ALL the 100's of Rock concerts I attended from lets say 1980/1985

My kids were 8yrs & 10yrs in 1990 & it never ever even crossed my mind to bring them to a rock concert.

Was I a bad parent ? :huh:

I will have to ask them now that they are in there 30's if they felt deprived about this,

But I do know they both attend "rock" concerts & have 3 kids each from 4yrs to 15yrs old

They have Never brought any of them to these shows

Now-A-Days, Unless it's a 21 & over only show,

I'm tripping over all these rug rats running around...... :oops:

First, kudos to you for caring this much about your little brother. Second, ditto to pretty much everyone here. It's an awful idea. And, frankly, if someone were to suggest it borders on abuse, I wouldn't disagree. An infant is purely dependent upon their parent(s) for everything. They have no choice in where they go or what they are subjected to. To put an infant in a rock concert environment.... even with a band as low key (but still loud) as Rush and their fans.... just a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really terrible idea.

My son was 9 when I brought him to his first Rush show. I took the same steps you state with regard to bringing him.

I Guarantee when I saw Rush for the 1st time in 1980, NO parent brought their kid to that show !

My kids were 8yrs & 10yrs in 1990 & it never ever even crossed my mind to bring them to a rock concert.

I will have to ask them now that they are in there 30's if they felt deprived about this,

But I do know they both attend "rock" concerts & have 3 kids each from 4yrs to 15yrs old

My son did not run around. He sat next to me. I am a good parent. Just ask him...

I have wondered the same thing. When DID it become ok to bring kids?

Bad idea in general. Esp hard rock shows. Maybe Jack Johnson, okay. Rush? Van Halen? Ozzy? Not so much.

Another update

I brought the matter up with my stepmother in front of my dad. His reaction? "We are NOT taking him. Are you crazy?"

I'm not a religious person, and sorry to offend those who are, but thank GOD.

• Like 6

I brought the matter up with my stepmother in front of my dad. His reaction? "We are NOT taking him. Are you crazy?"

Great news! :haz: Years from now, you can brag to your brother about how you saved his life....... ;) ;)

Unless you are in a suite where you may be able to manipulate the volume somehow, it's a bad idea. Every summer when I go to fests, I see people think nothing of walking their babies up to the stage area where it's so loud and I just feel sorry for the little ones. People are just so inconsiderate sometimes.
  • Like 1

Bad idea in general. Esp hard rock shows. Maybe Jack Johnson, okay. Rush? Van Halen? Ozzy? Not so much.

In 1977 I saw KISS when I was barely 10. We had nosebleeds at MSG. My brother was 12. Our parents dropped us of at our entry gate and were waiting for us there when we came out.

Edited by HalfwayToGone

So my stepmother wants to bring my baby brother to the Newark show. She nurses, but I guess she doesn't want to miss out on all the fun. Problem is, my baby brother by that time will be just six months old. Is that really a good idea?

No. 6 months? No. It will be way to loud for the infant. I see this alot at the brewery's I go to. Why would you bring an infant (inside a carriage or holder) to a brewery? I just hope the both of them aren't drinking and then driving.

So my stepmother wants to bring my baby brother to the Newark show. She nurses, but I guess she doesn't want to miss out on all the fun. Problem is, my baby brother by that time will be just six months old. Is that really a good idea?

6mos old, that's a terrible f*cking idea.

Totally irresponsible.

• Like 1

In 1977 I saw KISS when I was barely 10. We had nosebleeds at MSG. My brother was 12. Our parents dropped us of at our entry gate and were waiting for us there when we came out.

Sure, that happened a lot back then too.....

But that's not what I'm talking about. You didn't see Dad & son inside together at these concerts back then.

I see parents Now-a-Days say..... but my kid is a "fan" & want's to go

My kids listened to me spinning Rush albums from the womb.

They even attended a few "Rock" concerts from the womb.

They knew all rush's early catalog & classic hard rock

But they still never begged, or even asked me to take them to a concert,

And, like I said, I never even thought to consider the idea.

Must be a generational thing.

Actually the trend in parenting that bothers me most is the tendency for everyone to be in constant fear of their kids being harmed by anything and everything, to the point that kids are never left alone to do whatever they want anymore. That's not to say there aren't parents who are too much the opposite, to the point of neglect, which is just as bad, but the general mainstream seems to be for parents to be paranoid at every turn that their child will be molested, killed, turned into drug addicts, or gang members, etc. if they aren't protected and sheltered every second. It actually does more to infantilize generations of people than to protect them. Kids need to learn some things through experience, and learn their limitations and capabilities. Over sheltering kids from reality is just as bad as throwing them to the wolves, and being overly indulgent or permissive. There needs to be some balance. In this particular case I happen to agree that bringing a 6 month baby to a concert is not looking after a child's best interest--it's putting the parent's selfish desire in front of what's best for their child, and I think to some extent, parents taking their somewhat older kids to concerts with them are doing a similar thing. Kids who love their parents will learn what their parents want them to like and not to like, so I mostly agree that what you're talking about is not necessarily healthy bonding, although on the other hand, it may not always be the worst case scenario for every family or parent-child relationship either.
  • Like 1

You must be very young.

Bad things do happen every day. Yes, parents are protective of their children. Understandably so.

Besides, the "child" in question is six months old.

The first Rush show attended was in 1981 according to his signature so the "very" young part I doubt very seriously. Young as compared to us maybe.. :)

You must be very young.

Bad things do happen every day. Yes, parents are protective of their children. Understandably so.

Well, he will be at the time of the show.

You must be very young.

The first Rush show attended was in 1981 according to his signature so the "very" young part I doubt very seriously. Young as compared to us maybe.. :)

My sister dragged me to a Shaun Cassidy show in 1977. At the bright age of 9,

I thought I had died and gone to the 4th dimension of HELL

I have THAT as my 1st ever concert experience. Still not sure I have recovered.

This young baby will probably grow up thinking Jay Z is an actual musician.

Let the kid discovery what music they like at a later age.

You must be very young.

Did Andy Gibb open for him?.... :scared:
  • Like 1

You must be very young.

No actually I'm nearing 50, which is why I can say with confidence that while bad things happen everyday, most of them are far from permanently damaging to children when it comes to allowing kids a bit of freedom. Reread what I said more carefully. I mentioned a balance between too much sheltering and too little supervision. There is an optimal for each child, and it is almost never to shelter a child absolutely from every reality of life, or to fail to protect them at all. The statistics around the sorts of things that parents are most paranoid haven't changed at all as a result of the increasing warehousing of children into highly structured and adult chaperoned activities 100% of their waking life. No more children were kidnapped, killed, molested or otherwise when children were allowed much more freedom in the 70's when I grew up, than today, despite the fear mongering and media hype around Internet predators, and sensationalism of the exceedingly rare cases of psychopathic pedophile murderers. The likelihood is far greater that a child will be abused by their own parents or others who are charged and trusted with protecting them than any random stranger (including religious figures, scout masters, etc who position themselves where they have the best access to potential victims). This fact is especially true if parents are clear in instructing their children to stay away from "strangers with candy," as the cliche went when I was growing up. Yeah, bad things happen every day, and the best protection you can provide is wise advice, and teaching kids how to protect themselves, instead of attempting to insulate them from any awareness of the badness in the world, or stifling their freedom to explore how things work in the world by filling their time with supervised activities they may have zero genuine desire to be involved in, which stifle their ability to creatively problem-solve and discourage their development of social intelligence and savy.

But this is all way off topic. Don't bring a helpless, non-verbal aged infant to a loud concert where people will be smoking weed if you care about their well being. I think I said that at least once before if not more than once in this thread.

Edited by HalfwayToGone
  • Like 1

You must be very young.

Did Andy Gibb open for him?.... :scared:

I think Andy at least had a tiny bit more of talent...since he was a Gibb....

But no...some band opened, poor guys.

• Like 1

I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time the guys look at the crowd and there is a child but 6 months oof that's young