2015 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

Curse of the Sports Illustrated cover has struck the Jays

Curse of the "home-field advantage". Home teams are 0-5 so far...

And KC is down 2-4 to the 'Stros right now.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

7c0540814adad2f55cccf8e3d3dc2de8.jpg

Batflip.

Controversy ensues.

There was an interesting conversation on local sports-talk radio about celebrations and how they differ from MLB and almost every other sport. The NFL allows celebration and showing of emotion after pivotal plays, why not MLB?

The general feeling was the baseball needs to loosen up and let it's players have fun. If they did, maybe MLB would stop losing ground in popularity to other sports like football, hockey and basketball.

I would question the validity of the assumption the NFL allows anything other than nominal levels of celebration. It's been called the No Fun League for years because of the excessive celebration penalties, it's rigorous enforcement of uniform standards, the rule about not taking your helmet off, stringent expectations about meeting with the media, etc.

I would also point out the reality is baseball doesn't like these kinds of celebrations because baseball players, mostly pitchers, are collectively in general a bunch of red a**es who don't like getting shown up. When they feel shown up, pitchers sometimes take that hard ball and throw it at people's ribs, backs, and heads. This leads to a whole other mess. If MLB loosened up on celebration, the players would actually crack down on it. Plus, baseball culture does allow for some degree of celebration. Hitters do stand and watch long towering shots (although they risk getting plunked). Pitchers fist pump after big, inning ending strike outs. Entire teams meet their colleague at the plate following a walk-off. The Brewers had their Beast Mode thing for a while. The Rangers had their antler ears thing. The Dodgers did that silly Mickey Mouse thing a while back. Etc., etc., etc.

Besides, baseball isn't losing ground because of a lack of celebration. It is losing ground (in the US, but not globally) because it's games are nearly 3 hours long and require a high level of technical understanding of strategy in the context of runners on base, pitch count, fielder position, and overall execution, to truly appreciate what is going on and stay engaged. The average fan no longer has that. Also, because of the development of traveling club leagues, baseball is also now extremely expensive to play at a high amateur level and is no longer played in urban centers beyond little league (completely eliminating a key demographic from MLB viewership). That is why it is losing ground to football and basketball. Hockey is not a factor. The NHL barely registers in the collective American sports conscious.

Frankly, I would argue those local sports talk guys are going to stay local if the level of their analysis is "baseball needs celebrations in order to become popular again" and/or "the NFL allows celebrations". Then again, that's about the same level of analysis I get down here on our local sports talk shows. Fanboys with microphones. :facepalm:

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

Streak erased. 4-0 Cards at Busch! ROADHOUSE!

Streak erased. 4-0 Cards at Busch! ROADHOUSE!

Well, KC did come back and win game 2 of their series, as well. But, yeah, thankfully El Birdos held serve at home.

Hendricks versus Garcia next up. Should be an interesting match up. The Cardinals need to work the count against Hendricks and try to get to that middle relief corps. We never really know what we are going to get with Garcia.

No, the one man wrecking crew that is Rougned Odor struck the Blue Jays. :notworthy: He killed them on Thursday with three runs and was the game winning run yesterday. Spectacular defence too. Stroman gave up four runs and Texas has a great bullpen. Monday was Price keeping his streak intact ... unfortunately. He's in good company though with Geddy's friend Randy having lost seven straight, and he's HoF, so there's hope for Price.

The Blue Jays were just outplayed. Their bats have been pretty quiet and the oddly shaped strike zone hasn't helped either team. Texas pitching and defence has been strong and the Blue Jays really hasn't been. Also, I didn't wear my jinxed hat yesterday for it is returned to it's rightful place on the bedpost, and I wore all of the proper talismans, but, obviously, I've placed something out of alignment or Donaldson's hit would have been about 10 feet further east. ;)

It was good to see Geddy at Game 1 though. I hope we get to see him again this year.

And KC rallies for the win to even the series! :ebert:

Cardinals opening home win prevented the visitor sweep. Cardinals are just scary. :scared:

See you guys in Arlington! :hi:

:yes: Historically, a difficult park for the Blue Jays. A win on Sunday is not impossible though, and I'm looking forward to seeing some great baseball. Sunday night at 8pm Eastern Time :hi:

Blue Jays fans: Don't Panic! Even if we lose this game and the series, we have a bright future. I don't think that anyone would have realistically predicted in April 2015 that the Blue Jays would be playing an ALDS game in 2015. We survived 1985 (it took four years, but we survived) and this isn't even close to that debacle.

Go Blue Jays! :cheerleader: win on Sunday and keep the series alive!

• Like 1

As a Dodger fan,

The slide by Utley in to second base was Bullsh**. No reason to do that. The play was ruled safe any way. I hate seeing any player do that.

https://www.youtube....h?v=-V6O8iEA_D8

What's really BS is the fact MLB still allows that kind of slide and, frankly, lies through their teeth when they suggest it is unfortunate, but legal.

Um, no. It's not. There are multiple interference rules that make this type of play illegal. Seriously, that is not a joke. When a runner does not slide into the bag.... interference. When a runner leaves the baseline to interrupt a play.... interference. When a runner intentionally makes contact with a fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play (the double play aspect is specifically mentioned in the rule book!).... interference.

But MLB allows this kind of thing to continue under the guise of "tradition" and "good, hard baseball". MLB somehow thinks their fans appreciate this.

I don't have enough BS cards to lay down on MLB for that one. They need to enforce their own rules and put an end to this play. A hard slide into the bag? Cool. *That* is good, hard baseball. But off the bag, in any way. Leg up, in any way. Interference, in any way. Then the runner... by rule... is out. If MLB simply enforces its own rule, this pretty much goes away.

I know, I know. Some fans out there are going to pull the "in my day" :codger: routine. Others are going to call it the sissyfication :chickendance: of the game. Both of those arguments are equally BS .

Here's the clincher. MLB is the only league that still allows this in the U.S. At all other levels.... LL, AAU, club, high school, and college.... Utley doesn't even try that because he knows he is out if he does.

• Like 1

As a Dodger fan,

The slide by Utley in to second base was Bullsh**. No reason to do that. The play was ruled safe any way. I hate seeing any player do that.

What's really BS is the fact MLB still allows that kind of slide and, frankly, lies through their teeth when they suggest it is unfortunate, but legal.

Um, no. It's not. There are multiple interference rules that make this type of play illegal. Seriously, that is not a joke. When a runner does not slide into the bag.... interference. When a runner leaves the baseline to interrupt a play.... interference. When a runner intentionally makes contact with a fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play (the double play aspect is specifically mentioned in the rule book!).... interference.

But MLB allows this kind of thing to continue under the guise of "tradition" and "good, hard baseball". MLB somehow thinks their fans appreciate this.

I don't have enough BS cards to lay down on MLB for that one. They need to enforce their own rules and put an end to this play. A hard slide into the bag? Cool. *That* is good, hard baseball. But off the bag, in any way. Leg up, in any way. Interference, in any way. Then the runner... by rule... is out. If MLB simply enforces its own rule, this pretty much goes away.

I know, I know. Some fans out there are going to pull the "in my day" :codger: routine. Others are going to call it the sissyfication :chickendance: of the game. Both of those arguments are equally BS .

Here's the clincher. MLB is the only league that still allows this in the U.S. At all other levels.... LL, AAU, club, high school, and college.... Utley doesn't even try that because he knows he is out if he does.

As a Dodger fan, I didn't mind the play. The slide was fierce, but it all boiled down to a bad toss that set it up by causing bad footwork by the fielder. The play is fairly routine, including the slide, but this particular incident found the fielder off balance, turned the wrong way, and unable to make the standard jump.

It'll be interesting to see if MLB re-visits this in the off-season. In the meantime, Utley better put some extra padding in the earhole of his batting helmet.

As a Dodger fan,

Good point,

I have seen it all growing when it comes this stuff. Close calls and plays like this. The Dodgers lost game one and were losing up until this play. The runner on third was going to score either way. Plus, Utley never stood on second. He ran off. Why he wasn't out for that?

As a Dodger fan,

As a Dodger fan, I didn't mind the play. The slide was fierce, but it all boiled down to a bad toss that set it up by causing bad footwork by the fielder. The play is fairly routine, including the slide, but this particular incident found the fielder off balance, turned the wrong way, and unable to make the standard jump.

It'll be interesting to see if MLB re-visits this in the off-season. In the meantime, Utley better put some extra padding in the earhole of his batting helmet.

The thing is,

He didn't even try to slide in to second and the slide was really late. This series will turn ugly

As a Dodger fan,

Good point,

I have seen it all growing when it comes this stuff. Close calls and plays like this. The Dodgers lost game one and were losing up until this play. The runner on third was going to score either way. Plus, Utley never stood on second. He ran off. Why he wasn't out for that?

Because he was wrongly called out. Why would you step on the base after being called out?
  • Like 1

As a Dodger fan,

The thing is,

He didn't even try to slide in to second and the slide was really late. This series will turn ugly

The slide wasn't that out of the ordinary. It was Tejada's bad footwork that put him in a position to get hurt.

This is a cheap shot:

As a Dodger fan,

Good point,

Because he was wrongly called out. Why would you step on the base after being called out?

Good point,

The clip was short and I didn't see the ruling. But l forgot to take that in to consideration. But I guess my point is,there was no need for it. Late slide and the guy's leg is broken.

As a Dodger fan,

Good point,

Good point,

The clip was short and I didn't see the ruling. But l forgot to take that in to consideration. But I guess my point is,there was no need for it. Late slide and the guy's leg is broken.

Like in most sports, if you aren't in proper position, you have a good chance of getting hurt.

As a Dodger fan,

The thing is,

The slide wasn't that out of the ordinary. It was Tejada's bad footwork that put him in a position to get hurt.

This is a cheap shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fj2B9z4Dbw

I posted this last week,

That two star pitchers will not be enough for the Dodgers. They pitched well enough in both games to win. No support behind them for runs. This play just looked desperate to score a run.

As a Dodger fan,

Good point,

Good point,

Like in most sports, if you aren't in proper position, you have a good chance of getting hurt.

Proper position,

Really? What should the guy do when the runner slides late and not even close to the base?

As a Dodger fan,

The thing is,

This is a cheap shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fj2B9z4Dbw

I posted this last week,

That two star pitchers will not be enough for the Dodgers. They pitched well enough in both games to win. No support behind them for runs. This play just looked desperate to score a run.

I agree that it was a desperate slide.