Rush Concerts Setlists: A History Lesson

Disembodied Spirit

What songs were only played on tour supporting that album?

Which songs were played on one tour only?

What songs have been played knly on consecutive toues not counting drum solo?

How many songs were never performed with Neil?

I'm a huge setlist nut and have studied Rush's setlists religiously over the years. The earlier ones are a little difficult to track because who knows if they played certain songs in Omaha or some other horseshit city and it never got documented in the past 40 years? I feel like the setlist reports from 1977 forward are more reliable. I'm guessing on the songs for the CoS and 2112 tours.

What songs were only played on tour supporting that album?

CoS - I Think I'm Going Bald

2112 - The Twilight Zone (Oracle: The Dream never played until TFE tour)

AFTK - Cinderella Man

Hemispheres - Hemispheres (Full-Version - an abbreviated version appeared on PeW tour)

PeW - Jacob's Ladder

MP - N/A

Signals - Chemistry, Countdown

GuP - The Enemy Within, Afterimage, Kid Gloves

PoW - N/A (Grand Designs and Middletown Dreams reappear again only on CA tour)

HYF - Prime Mover, Lock And Key, Turn The Page

Presto - War Paint, Scars (Presto never played until TM tour)

RTB - N/A (Where's My Thing? finally played again on CA tour)

Counterparts - Cold Fire, Double Agent (Between Sun & Moon never played until VT tour)

TFE - Half The World, Virtuality, Limbo, Time And Motion, Test For Echo

VT - Ceiling Unlimited, Ghost Rider

S&A - Armor & Sword, Spindrift, The Way The Wind Blows, Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissism, The Larger Bowl, Hope (Faithless never played until TM tour)

What about Red Lenses...I guess your counting the Power Window warm up tour as that song being played on a tour not in support of the album (even though that was still technically the Grace Under pressure Tour as all P/G swag was sold on that tour along with the P/G tourbook).

Chemistry was played on the RTB tour in '92?

I heard it's never played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNJh_P__WMk (Singals tour)

They played it, but then dropped it out of the setlist towards the end....

Signals Tour (New World Tour)

September 3, 1982 - July 23, 1983

Signals released: September 25th, 1982

Tourdates

Setlists

This is the first time the "Three Stooges Theme" was used to open the shows; it would be used until the Presto tour and then return for one final time for Vapor Trails tour. As demonstrated in numerous recordings, Rush had fun this tour, often changing the lyrics to some of the older songs such as "The Spirit of Baseball" and "The Plumbers of Syrinx" (with Lerxst adding additional vocals). For this tour, "The Camera Eye" was abbreviated such that only the "New York" or "London" section would be performed each night on a seemingly random basis. Although the setlist remained the same throughout most of this tour, "Chemistry" and "The Camera Eye" were dropped from the setlist in Germany, and although "The Camera Eye" was brought back for later dates, "Chemistry" did not return and has not been played since.

The Spirit of Radio (with "Three Stooges theme" intro)

Tom Sawyer

Freewill

Digital Man

Subdivisions

Vital Signs

The Camera Eye (abbreviated; dropped from Germany dates)

Closer To The Heart

Chemistry (dropped beginning 5/6/83)

The Analog Kid

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Red Barchetta

The Weapon (Count Floyd intro)

New World Man

Limelight

Countdown

Encore: 2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx)

Xanadu

La Villa Strangiato

In The Mood

YYZ

Drum Solo

YYZ

What a great performance (although vocally as always a tad uneven till the in-ear monitors came around). Amazing how crisp and solid Neil's Tama kit always sounded. That was no doubt my favorite era of Rush 78-87. Crisp, tight musically always on the money and the separation of the instruments was always pristine. Vocally Geddy has never been awesome live on a night to night consistent basis. Funny thing IMO the best I ever heard him vocally was a couple of tours far later in the gauntlet in the T4E tour and the S&A tour (both legs). Vocally for Geddy, he was on the money on those tours like never before.

Edited by Todem

What about Red Lenses...I guess your counting the Power Window warm up tour as that song being played on a tour not in support of the album (even though that was still technically the Grace Under pressure Tour as all P/G swag was sold on that tour along with the P/G tourbook).

They did a snippet of Red Lenses on the PoW/HYF tours as part of Peart's solo. It wasn't the full song, so you're correct in that it never appeared in full after the P/G and PoW warm-up tours.

Edited by GrandDesigner

That list gets mighty interesting towards the bottom.. Wow!

And how did the new guy's solo beat everything else?? :P

• Like 1

A buddy of mine brought up the idea of NO DRUM SOLO.

I personally think this is an Impossible idea, but with the possible scaled down drum kit is it plausible??

Say it ain't so.

A buddy of mine brought up the idea of NO DRUM SOLO.

I personally think this is an Impossible idea, but with the possible scaled down drum kit is it plausible??

Say it ain't so.

If he's having two drum sets we'll probably have at least two drum solos.

Edited by EagleMoon

On that one it was "Ben" Sometimes it was Ben B, other times Jammin Ben..I forget what all Dan used for my reviews. I used to trade with him a lot, (after doing a bunch of "two for one's" to get my CD-r collection started) and I'd tell him what I thought about some shows, and he said I should do reviews, so I sent him a bunch here and there.
  • Like 1

Chemistry was played on the RTB tour in '92?

I heard it's never played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNJh_P__WMk (Singals tour)

They played it, but then dropped it out of the setlist towards the end....

Signals Tour (New World Tour)

September 3, 1982 - July 23, 1983

Signals released: September 25th, 1982

Tourdates

Setlists

This is the first time the "Three Stooges Theme" was used to open the shows; it would be used until the Presto tour and then return for one final time for Vapor Trails tour. As demonstrated in numerous recordings, Rush had fun this tour, often changing the lyrics to some of the older songs such as "The Spirit of Baseball" and "The Plumbers of Syrinx" (with Lerxst adding additional vocals). For this tour, "The Camera Eye" was abbreviated such that only the "New York" or "London" section would be performed each night on a seemingly random basis. Although the setlist remained the same throughout most of this tour, "Chemistry" and "The Camera Eye" were dropped from the setlist in Germany, and although "The Camera Eye" was brought back for later dates, "Chemistry" did not return and has not been played since.

The Spirit of Radio (with "Three Stooges theme" intro)

Tom Sawyer

Freewill

Digital Man

Subdivisions

Vital Signs

The Camera Eye (abbreviated; dropped from Germany dates)

Closer To The Heart

Chemistry (dropped beginning 5/6/83)

The Analog Kid

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Red Barchetta

The Weapon (Count Floyd intro)

New World Man

Limelight

Countdown

Encore: 2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx)

Xanadu

La Villa Strangiato

In The Mood

YYZ

Drum Solo

YYZ

The encore was just YYZ. The medley beginning with Overture came at the end of the main set.