Rush Concerts Setlists: A History Lesson

Disembodied Spirit

I thought they'd never played "The Necromancer" live...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZS82iWQ-X8

They played the By-Tor/Necromancer combo several times on the '77 tour. I have the boot "You Can Trust Your Car" with one version.

I have a boot of them playing the whole thing when they opened up for Kiss in Nov. of 1975. http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/database/tourlist.php?tour=3 I have the one called Stainless Steel.

There's a very shitty quality bootleg of a performance of it on youtube

If you think that's bad, you should hear the sound quality of the one with the full version being played!

There's a very shitty quality bootleg of a performance of it on youtube

If you think that's bad, you should hear the sound quality of the one with the full version being played!

How can I hear it? Is it on youtube? I'm very interested, even if poor quality Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

They played the By-Tor/Necromancer combo several times on the '77 tour. I have the boot "You Can Trust Your Car" with one version.

I have a boot of them playing the whole thing when they opened up for Kiss in Nov. of 1975. http://www.digitalru...t.php?tour=3��I have the one called Stainless Steel.

HAH! Funny to go back and read my review of that bootleg!!

Fountain of Lamneth was never played live. Where and when does the source material say it was played?

I don't know of they ever played the whole thing, but I've heard that parts have been performed

Yes, this is true. It was done in a weird kind of medley with the heavy parts of The Necromancer thrown in.

Take Care

Do you have a source for this, because I've searched a few times and nothing I've seen indicates that the song had ever been played live.

The only source I have is that I was there. It wasn't played in it's entirety so I don't know if that counts or not. I don't think I've ever seen a setlist that showed that they opened with Bastille Day for that show either. But, they did and continued to open with it for the next (probably) 3 tours I saw after that.

Take Care

What was the date of that show? I'm getting very jealous.

I'm thinking January 1976. About a month before my 16th birthday :codger:.It was about my 4th time seeing them though. Second at Massey hall.

Take Care

I have a boot of them playing the whole thing when they opened up for Kiss in Nov. of 1975. http://www.digitalru...t.php?tour=3��I have the one called Stainless Steel.

HAH! Funny to go back and read my review of that bootleg!!

Which was your review? You may have been responsible for me getting it!

What really pops off the page for me is how criminally underplayed the brilliant Entre Nous was in the last 34 plus years of touring.

I thought that was a huge highlight of the Snakes and Arrows tour (first leg). I hope they bring that one back for R40. Such a great song.

Agree. I love the song. I have always heard the challenge was the arrangement... trying to get it right and do it justice live.

Fountain of Lamneth was never played live. Where and when does the source material say it was played?

I don't know of they ever played the whole thing, but I've heard that parts have been performed

Yes, this is true. It was done in a weird kind of medley with the heavy parts of The Necromancer thrown in.

Take Care

Do you have a source for this, because I've searched a few times and nothing I've seen indicates that the song had ever been played live.

The only source I have is that I was there. It wasn't played in it's entirety so I don't know if that counts or not. I don't think I've ever seen a setlist that showed that they opened with Bastille Day for that show either. But, they did and continued to open with it for the next (probably) 3 tours I saw after that.

Take Care

I'm thinking January 1976. About a month before my 16th birthday :codger:.It was about my 4th time seeing them though. Second at Massey hall.

Take Care

January 10th. Man, I wish I had a recording of that show.

Now I'm moving from jealousy to anger: Why didn't you record it!!!

Take Care

Take Care

Take Care

How accurate do you think this setlist is?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/1976/massey-hall-toronto-on-canada-43d39797.html

Take Care

Take Care

Take Care

http://www.setlist.f...a-43d39797.html

I didn't record it because a tape recorder at the time was as big as a PS-3 or an X-Box is now and expensive. Tickets usually said "No Cameras No Recorders" and they would confiscate said items.

That setlist isn't even close... They headlined that show so the set was longer by far and as I said, they definitely opened with Bastille Day. Joe Mendelson"s Mainline was the opening band. That was a weird choice.

Take Care

Take Care

Take Care

Take Care

I didn't record it because a tape recorder at the time was as big as a PS-3 or an X-Box is now and expensive. Tickets usually said "No Cameras No Recorders" and they would confiscate said items.

That setlist isn't even close... They headlined that show so the set was longer by far and as I said, they definitely opened with Bastille Day. Joe Mendelson"s Mainline was the opening band. That was a weird choice.

Take Care

I know that you said Bastille Day, but does this setlist look any closer?

Fly By Night

Beneath, Between, Behind

Bastille Day

I Think I'm Going Bald

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

In The End

Making Memories

Anthem

The Fountain of Lamneth

Lakeside Park

The Necromancer

Best I Can

In The Mood

Working Man

Finding My Way

Drum Solo

What You're Doing

Take Care

Take Care

Take Care

Take Care

I know that you said Bastille Day, but does this setlist look any closer?

Fly By Night

Beneath, Between, Behind

Bastille Day

I Think I'm Going Bald

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

In The End

Making Memories

Anthem

The Fountain of Lamneth

Lakeside Park

The Necromancer

Best I Can

In The Mood

Working Man

Finding My Way

Drum Solo

What You're Doing

Yes, much closer to what I remember.

Take Care

I'm glad everyone is having fun.

Anything that gets us to discuss the greatest band on earth is a great day......

The thing that I question is 'In the Mood' last played in 1990?

Does not seem that long ago.

I'm glad everyone is having fun.

Anything that gets us to discuss the greatest band on earth is a great day......

The thing that I question is 'In the Mood' last played in 1990?

Does not seem that long ago.

That song shouldn't have survived 1976...I think it did because Geddy wrote it.

• Like 2

Deep in the data-

Something for Nothing not played live since 1979.

Seems unreal. ?? Is this true?

What songs were only played on tour supporting that album?

Which songs were played on one tour only?

What songs have been played knly on consecutive toues not counting drum solo?

How many songs were never performed with Neil?

I'm a huge setlist nut and have studied Rush's setlists religiously over the years. The earlier ones are a little difficult to track because who knows if they played certain songs in Omaha or some other horseshit city and it never got documented in the past 40 years? I feel like the setlist reports from 1977 forward are more reliable. I'm guessing on the songs for the CoS and 2112 tours.

CoS - I Think I'm Going Bald

2112 - The Twilight Zone (Oracle: The Dream never played until TFE tour)

AFTK - Cinderella Man

Hemispheres - Hemispheres (Full-Version - an abbreviated version appeared on PeW tour)

PeW - Jacob's Ladder

MP - N/A

Signals - Chemistry, Countdown

GuP - The Enemy Within, Afterimage, Kid Gloves

PoW - N/A (Grand Designs and Middletown Dreams reappear again only on CA tour)

HYF - Prime Mover, Lock And Key, Turn The Page

Presto - War Paint, Scars (Presto never played until TM tour)

RTB - N/A (Where's My Thing? finally played again on CA tour)

Counterparts - Cold Fire, Double Agent (Between Sun & Moon never played until VT tour)

TFE - Half The World, Virtuality, Limbo, Time And Motion, Test For Echo

VT - Ceiling Unlimited, Ghost Rider

S&A - Armor & Sword, Spindrift, The Way The Wind Blows, Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissism, The Larger Bowl, Hope (Faithless never played until TM tour)

• Like 7

Deep in the data-

Something for Nothing not played live since 1979.

Seems unreal. ?? Is this true?

Definitely true. Also, despite being one of their biggest hits, Fly By Night has not been played since 1978.

Thank goodness....(I bet I just jinxed myself for this tour!) I really don't need to hear Fly By Night again....ever.

Chemistry was played on the RTB tour in '92?

I heard it's never played.

(Singals tour)

They played it, but then dropped it out of the setlist towards the end....

Signals Tour (New World Tour)

September 3, 1982 - July 23, 1983

Signals released: September 25th, 1982

Tourdates

Setlists

This is the first time the "Three Stooges Theme" was used to open the shows; it would be used until the Presto tour and then return for one final time for Vapor Trails tour. As demonstrated in numerous recordings, Rush had fun this tour, often changing the lyrics to some of the older songs such as "The Spirit of Baseball" and "The Plumbers of Syrinx" (with Lerxst adding additional vocals). For this tour, "The Camera Eye" was abbreviated such that only the "New York" or "London" section would be performed each night on a seemingly random basis. Although the setlist remained the same throughout most of this tour, "Chemistry" and "The Camera Eye" were dropped from the setlist in Germany, and although "The Camera Eye" was brought back for later dates, "Chemistry" did not return and has not been played since.

The Spirit of Radio (with "Three Stooges theme" intro)

Tom Sawyer

Freewill

Digital Man

Subdivisions

Vital Signs

The Camera Eye (abbreviated; dropped from Germany dates)

Closer To The Heart

Chemistry (dropped beginning 5/6/83)

The Analog Kid

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Red Barchetta

The Weapon (Count Floyd intro)

New World Man

Limelight

Countdown

Encore: 2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx)

Xanadu

La Villa Strangiato

In The Mood

YYZ

Drum Solo

YYZ

Which songs were played on one tour only?

What songs have been played knly on consecutive toues not counting drum solo?

How many songs were never performed with Neil?

I'm a huge setlist nut and have studied Rush's setlists religiously over the years. The earlier ones are a little difficult to track because who knows if they played certain songs in Omaha or some other horseshit city and it never got documented in the past 40 years? I feel like the setlist reports from 1977 forward are more reliable. I'm guessing on the songs for the CoS and 2112 tours.

CoS - I Think I'm Going Bald

2112 - The Twilight Zone (Oracle: The Dream never played until TFE tour)

AFTK - Cinderella Man

Hemispheres - Hemispheres (Full-Version - an abbreviated version appeared on PeW tour)

PeW - Jacob's Ladder

MP - N/A

Signals - Chemistry, Countdown

GuP - The Enemy Within, Afterimage, Kid Gloves

PoW - N/A (Grand Designs and Middletown Dreams reappear again only on CA tour)

HYF - Prime Mover, Lock And Key, Turn The Page

Presto - War Paint, Scars (Presto never played until TM tour)

RTB - N/A (Where's My Thing? finally played again on CA tour)

Counterparts - Cold Fire, Double Agent (Between Sun & Moon never played until VT tour)

TFE - Half The World, Virtuality, Limbo, Time And Motion, Test For Echo

VT - Ceiling Unlimited, Ghost Rider

S&A - Armor & Sword, Spindrift, The Way The Wind Blows, Main Monkey Business, Malignant Narcissism, The Larger Bowl, Hope (Faithless never played until TM tour)

Great research Grand Designer

It's criminal that Cinderella Man, Kid Gloves, Prime Mover, Scars, Test For Echo, Armor & Sword, and The MAIN Monkey Biz or MalNar has never been heard from again...............it's even more criminal since they are ALL very doable by singer Geddy 2.5...............

The band really limited their selection of songs from around Signals through Counterparts. The early 80's to mid 90's setlists had the least amount of variation and really didn't see the band breaking out of their comfort zone except for the odd song or two. They stuck to the same 70's songs as encores and played mostly the same 80's material from tour to tour. It wasn't until TFE where they brought back more obscure songs like 2112 and Natural Science, and even moreso with the most recent CA, TM, and S&A tours which show the greatest variation in setlists ever.
  • Like 1