retro basses

dakota2112

I know this is just wishful thinking, but if this is a fullblown celebration of their entire career, I'm really hoping we get treated to some album-correct gear.

I know Ged is hardcore Fender these days, but c'mon and give us the Rick and the Wal for songs from those eras!

Anyone else with me?

• Like 4

f**k no, I don't want to see the Wal. Keep that piece of trash off the stage.

Rickenbacker would be pretty cool. It was cool to see him bring it out on the Snakes tour for Bangkok, and when listening to the live album you can definitely hear the high-end grit coming out of that bass.

Fender is better than them both IMO. Really glad he decided to use that as his main bass Counterparts-onward.

The Wal is some of his best tone.. I'd love to see it back!!

I highly doubt the Ric, only because I believe Ged has already said on past tours that it's way too heavy now (those things are pretty heavy) and he can get a tone he prefers more out of the Fender anyways.

He did mention before the announcement that he had new basses he wanted to try, so I'm wondering if there will be some other brand we haven't seen him play before.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Wal for a couple of songs and i would LOVE to hear the growl of the Rick but I DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE THE Steinberger EVER! I couldn't believe he retired the Rick for the Steinberger. A big 80's mistake.

I believe he did that just so he could easily move with all the keyboards at the time. The Ric took up a lot of elbow room then. As for tone... uh yeah.. Could've been better

When it comes to the Steinberger.................just say NO!

The Wal is okay, but is almost too clean. You know, kind of like how Hartke bass amps and cabs are too annoyingly clean.

The Fender is where it's at. I don't hate the Rick, but it doesn't have the balls of the Jazz.

Not sure which would be worse...Geddy playing the Steinberger or Alex playing the Signature.

Now, if they busted out the Rick 4080 and the the EDS-1275, that would be epic!

I think if they used the original equipment that they used when they recorded when they play some of the older tunes it would lend to credibility...I get it that some of you guitar snobs are against things, but if it's the sound...then it's the SOUND....

Granted, Neil can't pop out six different kits during the course of a show, but guitars are a simple thing to do.... (and I'd go ape-sh*t is I saw some double necks coming out!)

• Like 1

Not sure which would be worse...Geddy playing the Steinberger or Alex playing the Signature.

I think if they used the original equipment that they used when they recorded when they play some of the older tunes it would lend to credibility...I get it that some of you guitar snobs are against things, but if it's the sound...then it's the SOUND....

Granted, Neil can't pop out six different kits during the course of a show, but guitars are a simple thing to do.... (and I'd go ape-sh*t is I saw some double necks coming out!)

This is kind of where I'm coming from. The instruments they used on particular albums, to me, are nearly as important as the music itself. The Wal bass, while not as thunderous as the Fender, has a very distinct tone, and I will admit I used to dislike it very much... but as time has gone by, and that era becomes further and further solidified into the past... I guess that twangy and plunky sound of the Wal has really become part of the album in a way. The original versions of those songs were played on a Wal, they sound like a Wal, and when those albums were new, they were performed on tour using a Wal... hearing some of those songs on the Fender just doesn't sound right, after hearing the originals for decades now. It would just be a really cool nod to those eras, both sonically and visually, to see the old Wal brought out for one more go 'round.

RUSH has, except for a few instances, never been one to "go back" to what ever it might be. For example, how great would it be to see (and hear) Geddy going back to the Rick (and the double neck), bring back the Taurus Pedals (even if it's the T3's) along with the Oberheim.

Neil going back to the double bass kit's with numerous Tom's like the Tama or Ludwigs.

Bring themselves back to 1981 - 1983. I just don't get it. Put out the word that RUSH is going Retro for this tour and they will sell out arena's like they did back in the day.

RUSH has, except for a few instances, never been one to "go back" to what ever it might be. For example, how great would it be to see (and hear) Geddy going back to the Rick (and the double neck), bring back the Taurus Pedals (even if it's the T3's) along with the Oberheim.

Neil going back to the double bass kit's with numerous Tom's like the Tama or Ludwigs.

Bring themselves back to 1981 - 1983. I just don't get it. Put out the word that RUSH is going Retro for this tour and they will sell out arena's like they did back in the day.

Are you kidding? They don't have any trouble selling out arenas :LOL: but I too would like to see some old equipment brought out this time around

Might as well bring back the evening gowns, the moustache and the camel toe because I doubt I'll see this tour.. this ticket bullshit sucks! Edited by MMCXII

I don't think he has that doubleneck anymore :(

Supposedly the fuckiing thing weighs a ton.

Ya that's what they say but didn't "skinny 70's Ged" swing it around for a whole show? I'm sure he can pick it up for one song. I think the double neck he strapped on for all 10 min of Xanadu was also a Rick.. I wonder what that weighs..

EDIT:..guess I should read all the posts I'm quoting before I post. What Im saying here might not make sense.. Was the double neck the 4080 or the 1275?

Edited by MMCXII

Hell.... I had a single necked Rick on once...that thing was heavy as hell! Could only imagine how heavy the double neck was