Once and For All: GENESIS - Collins-era vs. Gabriel-era - TO THE DEATH!

treeduck

GENESIS - COLLINS ERA or Gabriel era  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Collins-era Genesis or Gabriel-era Genesis?

• Collins-era
    • Gabriel-era

No question, Gabriel all the way. Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout! :madra:

Not a chance Collins is winning this poll. I mean, we have The Knife, Supper's Ready, The Musical Box, Firth Of Fifth...and a few dozens more, that kick your Mama into nirvana. :ph34r: :smoke:

Listening to The Battle Of Epping Forest now, just to make sure to listen to one of the best lyrical stories, ever set to music.

ps: I must second the post from Y_L. There are a buch of good songs from the Collins era, but the question is more like Hackett, or no Hackett.

Signed

Rael, The Reverend, Liquid Len, The Winkler, Ethel, Bob the Knob, Mr. Farmer, The Judge, Harold Demure, Jones the Jug, Father Tiresias, Mick the Prick, Harold the Barrel... and me,

I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk...cause I can't dance.

Gabriel era rules! :hail:

/end thread

• Like 2

No question, Gabriel all the way. Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout! :madra:

Not a chance Collins is winning this poll. I mean, we have The Knife, Supper's Ready, The Musical Box, Firth Of Fifth...and a few dozens more, that kick your Mama into nirvana. :ph34r: :smoke:

Listening to The Battle Of Epping Forest now, just to make sure to listen to one of the best lyrical stories, ever set to music.

ps: I must second the post from Y_L. There are a buch of good songs from the Collins era, but the question is more like Hackett, or no Hackett.

Signed

Rael, The Reverend, Liquid Len, The Winkler, Ethel, Bob the Knob, Mr. Farmer, The Judge, Harold Demure, Jones the Jug, Father Tiresias, Mick the Prick, Harold the Barrel... and me,

I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk...cause I can't dance.

Gabriel era rules! :hail:

This post is worthy of EARL! :notworthy:

Maybe I've reached his level with this one. :smoke:

• Like 2

Might i say......No one's mentioned Abacab. Which is more then a worthy follow up to Duke. Love that album too. Collins era was gold. Don't care what the people say.

Mick

I don't care what they may say

collins is just alright with me

• Like 1

Might i say......No one's mentioned Abacab. Which is more then a worthy follow up to Duke. Love that album too. Collins era was gold. Don't care what the people say.

Mick

I don't care what they may say

collins is just alright with me

lol.......i like that.

Mick

Mick

That's a good album.

The only thing I don't like about Collins-era are some of the silly voice songs where cockney singing and Caribbean accents dominate proceedings! But then Genesis always did that with Gabriel as well. You could call them the Genesis granny songs!

Edited by treeduck

Mick

That's a good album.

The only thing I don't like about Collins-era are some of the silly voice songs where cockney singing and Caribbean accents dominate proceedings! But then Genesis always did that with Gabriel as well. You could call them the Genesis granny songs!

Like Gabriel in a flower costume was normal :laughing guy:

But you did mention that.

Mick

Mick

That's a good album.

Like Gabriel in a flower costume was normal :laughing guy:

But you did mention that.

Mick

And a wide shaved parting!

• Like 1

Gabriel narrowly for me. Nothing will beat Foxtrot and Selling England by the Pound :notworthy:

I do like Collins Genesis but aside from A Trick of the Tail and Duke, I don't find myself listening to it much.

• Like 1

Collins for me. Tried getting into the complicated early stuff but anything prior to W&W hasn't hit me yet.
  • Like 1

Collins for me. Tried getting into the complicated early stuff but anything prior to W&W hasn't hit me yet.

Even Trick of the Tail......the first Collins era Record?

Mick

That's a better record than W&W and more accessible I would say.

• Like 2

Mick

Trick is my fav Genesis Record.

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

That's the best Collins era Genesis, IMO. Love me some Dance On A Volcano.

• Like 1

For me it's COLLINS-era all the way baby! ALL THE WAY! :madra:

I'm gonna reveal to you the dirtiest secret in prog rock, I'm gonna expose Gabriel-era Genesis as a naked fool's gold joke!

Collins is a better musician for a start an amazing drummer and yes a better more melodic singer!

Gabriel in Genesis by comparison is a wizardy jack-in-a-box keyboard dabbler with the voice of a bitter flesh-mongering jester who has seen better days! :joker: Gabriel is also a scullion, a fustilarian, a natural coward, a three inch fool and a monstrous carbuncle. He's also a leathern-jerkin, crystal-button, knot-paced, puke-stocking, gaddis-garter, drop-tongued ball-pouch! And further he is the doppelganger of 70's rock icon David Essex!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/27/article-1254162-087BC6B7000005DC-361_468x438.jpg

Peter Gabriel

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02668/Gabriel_2668021b.jpg

David Essex

To me the poptastic power of Invisible Touch blows away the ponderous squawking and rambling on the albums like Nursery Cryme and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway! :tongue:

And there it is exposed for all to see, Gabriel-era Genesis is the KING'S CLOTHES! A naked liie! :joker:

We disagree Duck! PETER ERA RULES!

Ironically I can't stand the Peter solo years even though I own every album!

Collins is a great man but he ruined Genesis. His solo wimpy shit kills me to this day.

Great fuckking drummer.

Fukk Phil Collins Genesis. Listen to Brand X instead.

Have you ever heard the song "Nuclear Burn?"

Phil is beyond beyond!

Nothing touches the Gabriel Genesis Era.

• Like 3

I'm gonna reveal to you the dirtiest secret in prog rock, I'm gonna expose Gabriel-era Genesis as a naked fool's gold joke!

Collins is a better musician for a start an amazing drummer and yes a better more melodic singer!

Gabriel in Genesis by comparison is a wizardy jack-in-a-box keyboard dabbler with the voice of a bitter flesh-mongering jester who has seen better days! :joker: Gabriel is also a scullion, a fustilarian, a natural coward, a three inch fool and a monstrous carbuncle. He's also a leathern-jerkin, crystal-button, knot-paced, puke-stocking, gaddis-garter, drop-tongued ball-pouch! And further he is the doppelganger of 70's rock icon David Essex!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/27/article-1254162-087BC6B7000005DC-361_468x438.jpg

Peter Gabriel

David Essex

To me the poptastic power of Invisible Touch blows away the ponderous squawking and rambling on the albums like Nursery Cryme and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway! :tongue:

And there it is exposed for all to see, Gabriel-era Genesis is the KING'S CLOTHES! A naked liie! :joker:

Collins is a great man but he ruined Genesis. His solo wimpy shit kills me to this day.

Great fuckking drummer.

Phil is beyond beyond!

No way EARL, say it slowly to yourself before you go to sleep tonight COLLINS-ERA-COLLINS-ERA-COLLINS-ERA-COLLINS-ERA and you'll wake up singing MAMA! :banana:

• Like 1

Peter Gabriel

David Essex

Great fuckking drummer.

Phil is beyond beyond!

No way EARL, say it slowly to yourself before you go to sleep tonight COLLINS-ERA-COLLINS-ERA-COLLINS-ERA-COLLINS-ERA and you'll wake up singing MAMA! :banana:

Does that include the groaning?

• Like 1

Peter Gabriel

David Essex

Great fuckking drummer.

Phil is beyond beyond!

HAHAHA!!!!! GABRIEL GABRIEL GABRIEL!!!!!

• Like 1