Once and For All: GENESIS - Collins-era vs. Gabriel-era - TO THE DEATH!

treeduck

GENESIS - COLLINS ERA or Gabriel era  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Collins-era Genesis or Gabriel-era Genesis?

• Collins-era
    • Gabriel-era

CAS......Is a bit unfair. i'll tell ya why. Ray wilson was screwed early because they did a small tour and called it quits. We never got a chance to see how he would continue in the band. He wouldn't have surpassed Collins or even Gabriel but it could have been interesting.

Just IMO

Mick

I prefer theGenesis period from Foxtrot to S/T.

Love SEBTP, Lamb, Trick, Seconds Out, Duke, Abacab. The rest are fine but thats the core catalog to me.

Solo stuff I love Gabriels first 4, Smallcreeps Day, No Jacket, and the first Mechanics and some scattered Hackett stuff. There is no demarcation for me between the 2 main periods.

For me, it doesn't come down to Gabriel vs. Collins....it comes down to With Steve Hackett vs. Without Steve Hackett...and the answer for me is With Steve Hackett all the way :guitar:

I tend to agree. I like pre and post Gabriel and pre and post Hackett Genesis, but for me the departure of Steve Hackett was a far greater loss than that of Peter Gabriel. IMO 'And Then There Were Three' is one of their weakest albums, it's as if they didn't quite know what to do without him.

I disagree, I like the album but anyway they went on to prove they didn't need him. Where would he fit on Duke, Abacab, Shapes, Invisible Touch?

I need to give We Can't Dance a play!

For me it was over after the self titled 83 album. Never could Stand Invisible touch or WCD. But IT has Domino so i forgive it, lol. WCD Has.......um..........ah.....a long running time?

lol

Mick

• Like 1

CAS......Is a bit unfair. i'll tell ya why. Ray wilson was screwed early because they did a small tour and called it quits. We never got a chance to see how he would continue in the band. He wouldn't have surpassed Collins or even Gabriel but it could have been interesting.

Just IMO

Mick

I agree with you, but part of the reason that happened was the failure of the album in North America. They had a tour booked over here in some pretty big venues (arenas mostly), however tickets were selling at a snail's pace so the band pulled the plug, and stuck to Europe. Mike and Tony have stated over the years that after that happened, they didn't have the energy to keep on the album/tour/album/tour cycle to make it work, so they called it a day. Ray really did get the short end of the stick.

And I love both eras of Genesis, they are my favourite band of all time, however I find myself listening to the Phil years more often. Did they go poppy? Yes, they did, but the quality of the songs is undeniable. Some overlooked gems on those latter-years Phil Genesis albums!!

• Like 1

Just IMO

Mick

I agree with you, but part of the reason that happened was the failure of the album in North America. They had a tour booked over here in some pretty big venues (arenas mostly), however tickets were selling at a snail's pace so the band pulled the plug, and stuck to Europe. Mike and Tony have stated over the years that after that happened, they didn't have the energy to keep on the album/tour/album/tour cycle to make it work, so they called it a day. Ray really did get the short end of the stick.

And I love both eras of Genesis, they are my favourite band of all time, however I find myself listening to the Phil years more often. Did they go poppy? Yes, they did, but the quality of the songs is undeniable. Some overlooked gems on those latter-years Phil Genesis albums!!

I'll say it again too. It's not like gabriel era didn't have pop in it, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Just IMO

Mick

I'll say it again too. It's not like gabriel era didn't have pop in it, lol

Mick

Exactly, probably the best example of Gabriel-era pop is I Know What I Like.

• Like 1

For me, it doesn't come down to Gabriel vs. Collins....it comes down to With Steve Hackett vs. Without Steve Hackett...and the answer for me is With Steve Hackett all the way :guitar:

I tend to agree. I like pre and post Gabriel and pre and post Hackett Genesis, but for me the departure of Steve Hackett was a far greater loss than that of Peter Gabriel. IMO 'And Then There Were Three' is one of their weakest albums, it's as if they didn't quite know what to do without him.

I disagree, I like the album but anyway they went on to prove they didn't need him. Where would he fit on Duke, Abacab, Shapes, Invisible Touch?

He doesn't. They invariably become different albums.

I've been listening to We can't Dance for the first time since about the 90's! It sounds waaaaay better than I remember! I haven't got a copy of this so now I'll have to grab one!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D-13:

And now I'm singing...I can't dance and I can't talk, the only thing about me is the way that I Fuckk! I can't dance and I can't sing, I just pass the time fuckking everything! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sex011.gif

I knew someone would come out with this viewpoint and it's a valid one. I'm a guitar freak so normally this would be a big issue with me too but with Genesis I never liked them really for their guitar stuff, it was mostly all the other stuff. And while I like him I'm not really a Hackett fanatic. Usually though if a band lost their guitarist and didn't even bother replacing him with anyone at all and the bass player took over guitar duties, I'd be pissed and probably stop listening to them, but Genesis are one band that made this scenario work for them somehow and got better.

• Like 1

No question, Gabriel all the way. Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout! :madra:

Not a chance Collins is winning this poll. I mean, we have The Knife, Supper's Ready, The Musical Box, Firth Of Fifth...and a few dozens more, that kick your Mama into nirvana. :ph34r: :smoke:

Listening to The Battle Of Epping Forest now, just to make sure to listen to one of the best lyrical stories, ever set to music.

ps: I must second the post from Y_L. There are a buch of good songs from the Collins era, but the question is more like Hackett, or no Hackett.

Signed

Rael, The Reverend, Liquid Len, The Winkler, Ethel, Bob the Knob, Mr. Farmer, The Judge, Harold Demure, Jones the Jug, Father Tiresias, Mick the Prick, Harold the Barrel... and me,

I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk...cause I can't dance.

Gabriel era rules! :hail:

• Like 6

No question, Gabriel all the way. Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout! :madra:

Not a chance Collins is winning this poll. I mean, we have The Knife, Supper's Ready, The Musical Box, Firth Of Fifth...and a few dozens more, that kick your Mama into nirvana. :ph34r: :smoke:

Listening to The Battle Of Epping Forest now, just to make sure to listen to one of the best lyrical stories, ever set to music.

ps: I must second the post from Y_L. There are a buch of good songs from the Collins era, but the question is more like Hackett, or no Hackett.

Signed

Rael, The Reverend, Liquid Len, The Winkler, Ethel, Bob the Knob, Mr. Farmer, The Judge, Harold Demure, Jones the Jug, Father Tiresias, Mick the Prick, Harold the Barrel... and me,

Collins IS holding his own here ya know, lol.

Which surprises even me, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Hard to believe that it's head to head. :huh:

Come on you Gabrielians!

As a firmly entrenched Collins-ite. i got to say the results are mind blowing.

Mick

Think that will change to the better soon. ;)

• Like 1

Signed

Epic post dude!

• Like 2

Signed

This post is worthy of EARL! :notworthy:

• Like 2