Once and For All: GENESIS - Collins-era vs. Gabriel-era - TO THE DEATH!

treeduck

GENESIS - COLLINS ERA or Gabriel era  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Collins-era Genesis or Gabriel-era Genesis?

• Collins-era
    • Gabriel-era

Why is pop so looked down on, lol. It's not like Gabriel era ∂didn't have pop elements. Oh that's right it's gabriel so we'll conveniently let that slide. lol.

Mick

It's not really that I look down on pop, it's just that I prefer more complex stuff than a lot of what just straight pop has to offer. And it's absolutely true that most prog has at least some elements of pop to it.

• Like 2

Why is pop so looked down on, lol. It's not like Gabriel era ∂didn't have pop elements. Oh that's right it's gabriel so we'll conveniently let that slide. lol.

Mick

It's not really that I look down on pop, it's just that I prefer more complex stuff than a lot of what just straight pop has to offer. And it's absolutely true that most prog has at least some elements of pop to it.

i was just fooling around, lol. But yea......time Table, I know What I like, Carpet Crawlers, Counting out time......pop tunes, lol

Mick

Mick

i was just fooling around, lol. But yea......time Table, I know What I like, Carpet Crawlers, Counting out time......pop tunes, lol

Mick

No, no....okay, maybe they are :D

• Like 1

I grew up with Gabriel/Genesis and I did enjoy Trick of the Tail but after that...? I saw both versions of Genesis in concert and for me, Gabriel.

No Gabriel, no Genesis for me.

• Like 2

No vote -- love both eras equally.

I've loved this band since 1980,and for me i can't split either of the two.Genesis moved with the changing times during the eighties,with the drum machine,and synthesizers,and very much like Rush and Yes,created a different and new sound for that era.The seventies were different then,and acoustic guitar,and the mellotron,were the order of the day.So for me both Gabriel's and Collins era Genesis are quite different ,but equally very enjoyable.

• Like 1

Funny thing......gabriel never blew me away in the band. I started his solo career. It was like.........WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED??!!! lol something clicked with this guy after he quit the group.

4 perfect albums in a row........after Genesis, lol

Mick

a trick of the tail and wind & wuthering are pretty great albums, though. duke's solid. you can probably find 5 or 6 good songs total on ATTW3, abacab, s/t, and we can't dance. everything else from the collins era is zzzz.

and I love rush's pussy records, as well as kate bush and peter gabriel, so I have no bias against pop music.

I think Duke is one of the most perfect prog/pop rock albums ever

Mick

An even the pop songs on that album have crazy time signatures and arrangements!

"Turn It On Again" is a single from the British progressive rock band Genesis, from their 1980 album Duke. It reached number 8 in the UK Singles Chart.

The lyrics, written by Mike Rutherford, deal with a man who does nothing more than watch his television, so much that he becomes obsessed with the people he watches on it, believing them to be his friends.

The song is also characterised by a rhythmic structure uncharacteristically complex for pop music, with verse/chorus sections in alternating time signatures, 6/4 to 7/4 (13/4), while the intro and bridge sections are in 4/4 and 5/4 (9/4). The song was originally much slower, written mostly by Mike Rutherford, with help from Phil Collins. He explains in the Songbook DVD "I had this riff," (plays "Turn It On Again" riff on guitar) "but at the time I was playing it like this," (plays slower) "and Phil said 'why don't you try it in a faster speed' and then he said to me 'do you realize it is in 13/8' and I said 'What do you mean it's in 13? It's in 4/4 isn't it?' 'No, it's 13'" Collins confirms "You can't dance to it. You see people trying to dance to it every now and again, they get on the off beat but they don't know why."

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 1

Bring it on, but I happen to think "...And Then There Were Three" is the best Genesis album.

I really like that album these days. I was listening to it the other day and thinking it seems a better album these days.

Very underrated. Sure its a step down from ToTT/WW, but its a melodic, ambient at times, album. Like it almost top to bottom.

• Like 1

For me, it doesn't come down to Gabriel vs. Collins....it comes down to With Steve Hackett vs. Without Steve Hackett...and the answer for me is With Steve Hackett all the way :guitar:
  • Like 6

For me, it doesn't come down to Gabriel vs. Collins....it comes down to With Steve Hackett vs. Without Steve Hackett...and the answer for me is With Steve Hackett all the way :guitar:

I tend to agree. I like pre and post Gabriel and pre and post Hackett Genesis, but for me the departure of Steve Hackett was a far greater loss than that of Peter Gabriel. IMO 'And Then There Were Three' is one of their weakest albums, it's as if they didn't quite know what to do without him.

• Like 2

Collins. From Trick of the Tail to We Can't Dance. All those albums are great. Their live albums in that period are phenominal. I pefer Collins singing Supper's Ready than Gabireal