Once and For All: GENESIS - Collins-era vs. Gabriel-era - TO THE DEATH!

treeduck

GENESIS - COLLINS ERA or Gabriel era  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Collins-era Genesis or Gabriel-era Genesis?

• Collins-era
    • Gabriel-era

For me it's COLLINS-era all the way baby! ALL THE WAY! :madra:

I'm gonna reveal to you the dirtiest secret in prog rock, I'm gonna expose Gabriel-era Genesis as a naked fool's gold joke!

Collins is a better musician for a start an amazing drummer and yes a better more melodic singer!

Gabriel in Genesis by comparison is a wizardy jack-in-a-box keyboard dabbler with the voice of a bitter flesh-mongering jester who has seen better days! :joker: Gabriel is also a scullion, a fustilarian, a natural coward, a three inch fool and a monstrous carbuncle. He's also a leathern-jerkin, crystal-button, knot-paced, puke-stocking, gaddis-garter, drop-tongued ball-pouch! And further he is the doppelganger of 70's rock icon David Essex!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/27/article-1254162-087BC6B7000005DC-361_468x438.jpg

Peter Gabriel

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02668/Gabriel_2668021b.jpg

David Essex

To me the poptastic power of Invisible Touch blows away the ponderous squawking and rambling on the albums like Nursery Cryme and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway! :tongue:

And there it is exposed for all to see, Gabriel-era Genesis is the KING'S CLOTHES! A naked liie! :joker:

• Like 4

I much prefer the Collins era. The songs are just more singable and fun. The Gabriel era has some good songs but it's mainly a lot of disjointed, bombastic poetry readings set to music.
  • Like 3

Phil is a fantastic drummer, no question. But I much prefer Peter as a singer, and as a persona. I think he brought a grandeur to Genesis that went away from them after that. Some may call it pretense; I call it art.

Yes, they continued to challenge themselves with A Trick of the Tail, and Wind and Wuthering. But after that... :huh:

Prefer Invisible Touch to Foxtrot? Or to Selling England By the Pound? Or to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway? Not in a thousand lifetimes!!

True, they made exponentially more money after Peter left, churning out catchy tunes that were all over pop radio in the 1980s. Good for them. But it's not my cup of tea.

Gabriel, all the way!

• Like 6

oh one more thing.........i loath the Lamb. most overrated prog double album ever!!!!!!!!!

Mick

BOOOO!!!!!!!!

Different strokes for different folks, mate.

• Like 4

oh one more thing.........i loath the Lamb. most overrated prog double album ever!!!!!!!!!

Mick

BOOOO!!!!!!!!

Prog has never bored me so much. Luckily gabrial redeemed himself by making 4 great solo albums in a row.

Mick

Mick

BOOOO!!!!!!!!

Prog has never bored me so much. Luckily gabrial redeemed himself by making 4 great solo albums in a row.

Mick

I too prefer Gabriel solo work over Gabriel Genesis!

• Like 1

Mick

BOOOO!!!!!!!!

Mick

And phil the opposite. isn't that amazing? lol

Mick

Mick

BOOOO!!!!!!!!

Mick

Mick

That is because Gabriel is the one who made them magical. When he left, he took that magic with him.

• Like 1

Mick

BOOOO!!!!!!!!

Mick

Mick

That is because Gabriel is the one who made them magical. When he left, he took that magic with him.

ahhh but i like Phil genesis better. And peter was WAAY better when he "Walked right out of the machinery"

Don't get me wrong he wrote some great stuff in his era......on the whole it leaves me cold.

Mick

Peter had a much better wardrobe, too.

Peter turned his mother's curtains with their 70's floral patterns into the little scorcerer's loin cloths that he wore. He was a fashion-retarded numpet strumpet pimpett!

Collin's beat him hands down in he clothes horse race, and he did it with scruffy balding hair, t-shirt and jeans.

• Like 2

Peter had a much better wardrobe, too.

Peter turned his mother's curtains with their 70's floral patterns into the little scorcerer's loin cloths that he wore. He was a fashion-retarded numpet strumpet pimpett!

:P

Well, some of us appreciate that kind of thing!

• Like 1

For me, it's COLLINS all the way.

I know that some of their later material became a bit overly "poppy". But still some great songs.

My favourite Genesis album is still the self-titled "Shapes" album.

'Mama' and 'Home By The Sea/Second Home' are two of my favourite songs, period. Also, 'Just a Job To Do' is criminally underrated.

• Like 3

For me it's the Gabriel era. I love Gabriel's overall style, both with singing and theatrics. Plus, the music that they put out is much more entertaining to listen to with the mind blowing solos from Hackett, the stellar keyboards from Banks, and the incredible drumming from Phil. I feel like the band lost a lot of that once Gabriel left, and even more so when Hackett left, thus turning them into a pop group that I can't really stand to listen to more than once in a while.

Also, Gabriel-Genesis made Supper's Ready, so that's a huge plus.

• Like 3