What do they have against Caress of Steel?

Alchemical

Not a fan of Caress of Steel. I look at it as the swing and a miss (apart from FOL) before they put out the still not a masterpiece but MUCH BETTER 2112.

Bastille Day's okay, but not among their finest work. ATWAS has a good version.

ITIGB and Lakeside Park are two of Rush's worst songs ever recorded.

The Necromancer is a brutal subject for me. I have tried so hard to like this song but I can't. I will keep trying, I'm sure.

Then they knocked it out of the park with Fountain of Lamneth. EXCELLENT TRACK. Not as good as 2112 or any of the epics that followed it in the subsequent albums, but damn is this one a fine tune. No One At The Bridge is pure magic.

Better than the 2 albums that preceded it, not as good as the next 8.

How is it that Tai Shan can't even get a break from people insulting it in a thread about Caress of Steel??

I don't get the hate. Its a good song!

On a phenomenal record!

Tru dat!

How is it that Tai Shan can't even get a break from people insulting it in a thread about Caress of Steel??

It was a complete misstep. It seemed that Rush wanted to start back in with the epic stories like in the 1970s, not really the best time to do something like that. Tai Shan is basically the poor man's version of Xanadu.

It was a complete misstep. It seemed that Rush wanted to start back in with the epic stories like in the 1970s, not really the best time to do something like that. Tai Shan is basically the poor man's version of Xanadu.

I think that's too much of a compliment for Tai Shan.

It doesn't even sound like an attempt to do an epic story, epic rock song, or a Xanadu sequel/remake at all. In fact, it sounds like a typical synth driven eighties pop rocker, with lyrics that try to paint a picture and a sound not far removed from the likes of Grand Designs, Analog Kid or Afterimage.

I think the problem you have is you try to put it into a category it doesn't belong to, when on its own terms it is a good piece of songwriting. Not a classic, not a songwriting masterclass, definitely not an epic, but a simple, tuneful, pretty and ambient song.

The hate it gets is ridiculous. And just because it has an oriental theme does not mean it is anoher Xanadu wannabe.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

Over the years I've known a handful of people who were following Rush as early on as FBN. Everyone of them loves COS now *, but everyone of them also said that when it came out they thought, "WTF is this!?! 1st album rocks, FBN is an amazing 2nd album and future classic, but what is this sh*t about Necromancers and what the h*ll is going on with that second side? What the h*ll is a fountain of Lamneth? What's that even about? This is embarassing." But in light of where Rush went after they came to appreciate it as an enjoyable prog metal experiment and a necessary step to 2112 and beyond. In that context it's great, and I love it (it's a fun album with some great moments musically), but I get people who think it sucks ... except for those who don't like Lakeside Park; there must be some genetic abnormality or childhood trauma there ;). In short, at the time people and the record company wanted and expected a hard rock album; when they got COS they were confused, but eventually they figured it out. Great album.

* I work with a guy who followed Rush since the 1st album. He's a vinyl-only audiophile lunatic (in a good way) who's been raving about the recent release of FBN and won't stop mentioning the upcoming release of COS, Feb 24 I think, same day as the 40th ann of Phys Graffiti, which he's also raving about. Anyway, he's one of those I mentioned. Absolutely loves COS now but said we was crushed with disappointment when it came out in '75. Thought an amazingly promising band had just committed artistic suicide. Again, now he loves the album. Strange album that morphs like that. There's always been albums in rock that have grown in appreciation over the years but I can't think of one like COS whose fortunes so completely reversed. Even back in '78 when Archives was released, COS felt like the star to me.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

It doesn't even sound like an attempt to do an epic story, epic rock song, or a Xanadu sequel/remake at all. In fact, it sounds like a typical synth driven eighties pop rocker, with lyrics that try to paint a picture and a sound not far removed from the likes of Grand Designs, Analog Kid or Afterimage.

I think the problem you have is you try to put it into a category it doesn't belong to, when on its own terms it is a good piece of songwriting. Not a classic, not a songwriting masterclass, definitely not an epic, but a simple, tuneful, pretty and ambient song.

The hate it gets is ridiculous. And just because it has an oriental theme does not mean it is anoher Xanadu wannabe.

I think of Tai Shan as a synth era Jacob's Ladder. Just telling a story about something beautiful that Neil saw once. I quite like it for many of the same reason that I like a lot of their epics or story-based songs (including The Necromancer and FoL)...it effectively transports me to into the story of the song.

Edited by LedRush

Over the years I've known a handful of people who were following Rush as early on as FBN. Everyone of them loves COS now *, but everyone of them also said that when it came out they thought, "WTF is this!?! 1st album rocks, FBN is an amazing 2nd album and future classic, but what is this sh*t about Necromancers and what the h*ll is going on with that second side? What the h*ll is a fountain of Lamneth? What's that even about? This is embarassing." But in light of where Rush went after they came to appreciate it as an enjoyable prog metal experiment and a necessary step to 2112 and beyond. In that context it's great, and I love it (it's a fun album with some great moments musically), but I get people who think it sucks ... except for those who don't like Lakeside Park; there must be some genetic abnormality or childhood trauma there ;). In short, at the time people and the record company wanted and expected a hard rock album; when they got COS they were confused, but eventually they figured it out. Great album.

* I work with a guy who followed Rush since the 1st album. He's a vinyl-only audiophile lunatic (in a good way) who's been raving about the recent release of FBN and won't stop mentioning the upcoming release of COS, Feb 24 I think, same day as the 40th ann of Phys Graffiti, which he's also raving about. Anyway, he's one of those I mentioned. Absolutely loves COS now but said we was crushed with disappointment when it came out in '75. Thought an amazingly promising band had just committed artistic suicide. Again, now he loves the album. Strange album that morphs like that. There's always been albums in rock that have grown in appreciation over the years but I can't think of one like COS whose fortunes so completely reversed. Even back in '78 when Archives was released, COS felt like the star to me.

When discussing albums with Rush fans, I usually suggest that it is right, proper, and logical to always see the forest for the trees (no Rush pun intended... well... okay, sort of intended). If you only look at each album individually (a tree), you will find oddities. But if you look at all the trees collectively (the forest), you see how they interact and tell the evolutionary story of the band. It's hard not to appreciate that evolution, especially over a 40 year period. Sure, you may not like each individual step along the way (you are certainly going to flub a bit here and there over 40 years), but each album is critical in its own way.

• Like 2

When discussing albums with Rush fans, I usually suggest that it is right, proper, and logical to always see the forest for the trees (no Rush pun intended... well... okay, sort of intended). If you only look at each album individually (a tree), you will find oddities. But if you look at all the trees collectively (the forest), you see how they interact and tell the evolutionary story of the band. It's hard not to appreciate that evolution, especially over a 40 year period. Sure, you may not like each individual step along the way (you are certainly going to flub a bit here and there over 40 years), but each album is critical in its own way.

Good post! I totally agree with "each album is critical in its own way" You aren't going to get 2112 without CoS, you aren't going to get Hemisphere's without AFTK, or Moving Pictures without Permanent Waves...etc. I mean Vapor Trails was totally necessary for the band to get back into the swing of things, and let Neil get some anger released!

Whenever I do my (usual) annual listen from Rush to whatever the last studio album is at the time, I get that feeling of progression, enhancement, revision etc. I pretty much have at least one song that I kind of dislike on each album...not so much the earlier years, but post-Moving Pictures...and a few albums, that I really never find myself just getting that urge to listen to on a whim. (especially since the tunes I LIKE from those albums are usually on the live album of the era, so to me it seems that the band has the same taste I do when it comes to some of them) (Dreamline and Driven come to mind as tunes I totally love, but dislike the rest of their respective albums)

I think that if they were being set up to play with a different kind of band as the opening act like for Yes, or ELP, or someone that was a little more on the "progressive rock" side of the world, rather than Kiss who was a different style act, they would have had better luck with that album.

Totally agree, Rush opening for Kiss just doesn't seem like a good mix. Was the entirety of the CoS tour spent opening for Kiss? All the talk about low ticket sales could be blamed on Kiss as well if so. As to CoS, I love it!

I'm not the biggest KISS fan by a stretch, but they were the biggest act in the world at that point (just ask them!) and slow sales probably wasn't on them.

Ok, heard back...CoS tour was mostly in support of Ted Nugent! YIKES!!! Talk about opposites!

Addendum: Heard that Teddy's fans dug Rush though so....tough call

Wow cool, Nugent opened up for them when I saw them at Great Woods for the T4E tour. He was dressed like an indian and people were carrying him away by the time we got to our seats :D

I wouldn't say that. Xanadu has tons of balls and Tai Shan has...

..A panfllute?

I think that if they were being set up to play with a different kind of band as the opening act like for Yes, or ELP, or someone that was a little more on the "progressive rock" side of the world, rather than Kiss who was a different style act, they would have had better luck with that album.

Totally agree, Rush opening for Kiss just doesn't seem like a good mix. Was the entirety of the CoS tour spent opening for Kiss? All the talk about low ticket sales could be blamed on Kiss as well if so. As to CoS, I love it!

I'm not the biggest KISS fan by a stretch, but they were the biggest act in the world at that point (just ask them!) and slow sales probably wasn't on them.

Oh most definitely they were HUGE! But the thing is.... Kiss (and Nugent) were really HARD ROCK bands...and I really doubt that Necromancer and Lamneth were received well by their fans... (and according to my source, he didn't recall them playing much of those two...Necromancer, I think, but...) I'd be willing to bet I Think I'm Going Bald would have been better received on those shows!

November 14, 1975 Fort Wayne Coliseum Coliseum -- Fort Wayne, Indiana (Frank Zappa and The Mothers)

WOW!!!! I think this was after, but in 1975 Frank had Captain Beefheart in his band for a while (see Bongo Fury). I'd have paid good money to see this show!!!

Edited by Justin Case

If they would've written some better songs than ITIGB and Lakeside Park to fill out side one, I think it would've fared better. Both of them are extremely weak and The Necromancer is just weird, so Bastille Day really carries the entire first half of the album. Imagine Bastille Day paired with two really strong songs like Passage to Bangkok and Fly By Night, and it'd easily be the strongest album out of the first 4. I don't think the problem with this album is the epics, but the weak shorter songs.

Wow I Think I'm Going Bald kind of blows, some of the worst pre-eighties Rush. I'll have to give it another listen.

I love it. Its fun, laddish humour with hard rocking riffs.

• Like 1