Rush songs you never fully appreciated until you saw them LIVE

ALifeson85

One Little Victory . I don't know if it was seeing them live for the first time in almost 10 years . Or the fact that maybe playing it live eliminated the clipping and distortion we hear on the recording , but it kicked ass. In fact I do remember thinking at the time it sounded so clear . The seperation of the instruments and especially the guitar.

S&A was my first live Rush tour, and I was mostly still new to Rush except for what was on R30 and Snakes & Arrows, so that tour was mostly me being unfamiliar with all the deep cuts they played. By the time Time Machine came around, I'd say I was familiar with about 65-70% of the catalog. Over the course of Time Machine and Clockwork Angels tours, the songs that I was really awakened to after seeing them live were:

Presto, Faithless, Vital Signs, Grand Designs, The Body Electric, Where's My Thing?

The songs that, despite seeing live, still didn't do anything for me, were Spindrift (as mentioned earlier, I did know most of S&A going into that tour), Seven Cities of Gold (still my least favorite CA song) and The Anarchist (sorry guys, I know it's a forum favorite...and it is a decent song...it just doesn't RESONATE with me for some reason).

Also an interesting thing that can wake people up to songs, believe it or not, is WHERE they're positioned in the setlist. Subdivisions is my example for that. To me, Subdivisions was good, but was just "that synthy pop hit that sneaks its way in there...sometimes later on (S&A), sometimes as a set closer (T.M.). But holy crap...put that sucker smack dab at the top of the show, as on the CA tour, and it's UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Edited by Pale Facsimile

Armor and Sword

I think that song is amazing. From the first i heard it I was like. Yes. That is the JAM!!

I couldn't stand it, but I found it tolerable live.