Please stop whining

coventry

The funniest part of all of this is that no one has said the things you are claiming, I just re-read the entire thread in case I missed something. No one claims to "apparently score 5th row or better on general sales ALL THE TIME, ON EVERY TOUR" or "everyone's a sucker for using a brokers".

If anyone here is exaggerating, it appears to be you. ;)

Edited by Justin Case

In his latest post about being a very-part time endurance racer, Neil manages to squeeze in a humble brag about driving his $280,000 sports car.

Whine away!

:laughing guy:

Good thing he had a full crew with him for his epic casual drive :LOL:

So. This is what the idle rich do. Well, when they're not whining about touring.

From a guy that writes a song like the Larger Bowl, lol!

He was accurate. Some are blessed and some are cursed.

Yeah as far as I'm concerned, Neil never condemned enjoying the fact that you might be blessed lol

True. I mean, I 'm not suggesting Neil has to pull a Bono and become this world-stage activist, but to write a lyric like:

"Why are innocents born only to suffer

for a want of immunity or a bowl of rice"

And then write away about his pithy racing exploits seems disingenuous.

In his latest post about being a very-part time endurance racer, Neil manages to squeeze in a humble brag about driving his $280,000 sports car.

Whine away!

So. This is what the idle rich do. Well, when they're not whining about touring.

Yeah as far as I'm concerned, Neil never condemned enjoying the fact that you might be blessed lol

True. I mean, I 'm not suggesting Neil has to pull a Bono and become this world-stage activist, but to write a lyric like:

Neil really changed after he lost Selena and Jackie. And not for the better overall. Snakes and Arrows was so negative. I was thrilled he got back into story telling with Clockwork Angels. Because the lyrics with the exception of Armor and Sword, Far Cry, The Way The Wind Blows and Bravest Face rang pretty hollow for me. And that had never happened before with his stuff.

• Like 1

The funniest part of all of this is that no one has said the things you are claiming, I just re-read the entire thread in case I missed something. No one claims to "apparently score 5th row or better on general sales ALL THE TIME, ON EVERY TOUR" or "everyone's a sucker for using a brokers".

If anyone here is exaggerating, it appears to be you. ;)

This isn't the only thread that's discussing it. :)

And you're pretty blind if you haven't seen a number of posts berating those who use brokers.

Considering that the thousands of entitled people who use brokers have and continue to screw up the ticket market for millions upon millions of others, beration is probably warranted.

But, no...I have not seen that specifically in any other thread.

Considering that the thousands of entitled people who use brokers have and continue to screw up the ticket market for millions upon millions of others, beration is probably warranted.

And yet, all the posts are there nonetheless, regardless of whether you've looked at them or not.

It's hard to simply blame people for buying high end commodities at marked up rates.

Complain about capitalist free market all you like. But thinking that any person who's ever paid a premium for a rare product...tickets, cars, jewels, rare coins, limited first editions, whatever...is the real problem? That's pie in the sky justification. Basically what people are saying when they cite 'other foolish fans' being the problem, is that they believe products should be price-regulated by some kind of overseeing entity. Good luck with that. And when you want to sell your house for more than what you paid, you're breaking that idiom.

And yet, all the posts are there nonetheless, regardless of whether you've looked at them or not.

It's hard to simply blame people for buying high end commodities at marked up rates.

Complain about capitalist free market all you like. But thinking that any person who's ever paid a premium for a rare product...tickets, cars, jewels, rare coins, limited first editions, whatever...is the real problem? That's pie in the sky justification. Basically what people are saying when they cite 'other foolish fans' being the problem, is that they believe products should be price-regulated by some kind of overseeing entity. Good luck with that. And when you want to sell your house for more than what you paid, you're breaking that idiom.

Can't disagree with that. Again...I think it kinda stinks that brokers have really taking over the premium seat market. I mean back in the 80's I got a good or great seat by either sleeping out or knowing or working at (back then) a bass ticket outlet and having tickets pulled.

But all that started to drastically change in the early 90's. So I learned to work the system the best I could. And yeah...capitalism.

So be it.

• Like 1

Can't disagree with that. Again...I think it kinda stinks that brokers have really taking over the premium seat market. I mean back in the 80's I got a good or great seat by either sleeping out or knowing or working at (back then) a bass ticket outlet and having tickets pulled.

But all that started to drastically change in the early 90's. So I learned to work the system the best I could. And yeah...capitalism.

So be it.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I don't like the broker system anymore than the next guy. I just understand why it exists.

Ha, I remember Bass ticket outlets. Got some great Van Halen seats a few times through them.

There's a point about all this that I've been overlooking. It's how concerts have become much more glorified 'events' than they used to be. What was once a teenaged/twenty-something excuse to party, is now a full blown mecca kind of flashpoint for most, especially us aging Gen X'ers and Gen Y'ers. Concerts are more than they used to be for Joe Q. Public. I think that drives inflation of tickets as well.

Edited by Van Squalen
  • Like 1

Wow. Did you really just accuse me of lying about where my seats are?

Nope, that's not what I said. :)

The point is, those of you who keep claiming you can 'always' get good seats if you know what you're doing, are exaggerating, or you live in soft markets (or travel to them).

Your schtick of insinuating that people are lying is tiresome.

you mean like how he thinks alex lifeson lied about liking the police?

Well this is probably the most pointless thread I've ever read (er… partially read that is). And trust me, that is saying something.

"Admonishing", vs. whining, eh? I get your position, but you're surely walking a fine line. Oh, and you have accomplished absolutely nothing.

Wow. Did you really just accuse me of lying about where my seats are?

Nope, that's not what I said. :)

The point is, those of you who keep claiming you can 'always' get good seats if you know what you're doing, are exaggerating, or you live in soft markets (or travel to them).

Your schtick of insinuating that people are lying is tiresome.

you mean like how he thinks alex lifeson lied about liking the police?

Haha. Now you're just makin' stuff up. :)

Rub ya the wrong way, did I? You fed into it. And cost me ten bucks. If only you'd been able to see the forest for the trees. The Trees~! :)

"Idiom"?

Don't blame high prices on those that create the demand?

:eh:

"Idiom"?

Don't blame high prices on those that create the demand?

:eh:

Still lookin' to spoil, seat crasher? :)

You shouldn't have any opinion at all on market price. Heck, for you, up front seats are free. Because that's how you roll. You're no sucker. You don't pay those ridiculous seat prices. You just steal them. :)

So be it.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I don't like the broker system anymore than the next guy. I just understand why it exists.

Ha, I remember Bass ticket outlets. Got some great Van Halen seats a few times through them.

There's a point about all this that I've been overlooking. It's how concerts have become much more glorified 'events' than they used to be. What was once a teenaged/twenty-something excuse to party, is now a full blown mecca kind of flashpoint for most, especially us aging Gen X'ers and Gen Y'ers. Concerts are more than they used to be for Joe Q. Public. I think that drives inflation of tickets as well.

I don't think anyone doesn't understand why ticket scalping and the so called "secondary market" exist. Things are beyond out of control, though. Clearly we can't put that toothpaste back in the tube, but it's hard not to place a huge part of that on whoever squeezed it.

So be it.

I don't think anyone doesn't understand why ticket scalping and the so called "secondary market" exist. Things are beyond out of control, though. Clearly we can't put that toothpaste back in the tube, but it's hard not to place a huge part of that on whoever squeezed it.

There was no getting around that. Basically you're asking humans to exercise self control and serve the greater good for all.

Again...not in our nature. Alas.

Actually, there was a time where scalping existed but things were not nearly as widespread. It really wasn't until the practice was made legal that it became socially acceptable and ultimately as rampant as it is today. Besides - I'm not asking anyone to do anything. Again, I do fine for myself. I've just been simply stating who is at fault for the situation.

Well this is probably the most pointless thread I've ever read (er… partially read that is). And trust me, that is saying something.

"Admonishing", vs. whining, eh? I get your position, but you're surely walking a fine line. Oh, and you have accomplished absolutely nothing.

I hadn't set out to accomplish anything; rather, to point out what seems like a self-entitled and myopic reaction to a capitalist market for a luxury good that didn't work in some people's favor. And I'm not going to parse semantics with you, but if you can't delineate the difference between admonishing and whining, then most things for you probably have a blunted point.

• Like 1

Tickets to live entertainment events (including sports, music, theater, and other events) have really gone up in the last 30-40 years, far more than the rate of inflation. It's what the market will bear (sort of like college tuition, although that's a more complex story) but that doesn't make it less sh-tty.
  • Like 1

I hadn't set out to accomplish anything; rather, to point out what seems like a self-entitled and myopic reaction to a capitalist market for a luxury good that didn't work in some people's favor. And I'm not going to parse semantics with you, but if you can't delineate the difference between admonishing and whining, then most things for you probably have a blunted point.

:dweez:

:notworthy:

• Like 1

Tickets to live entertainment events (including sports, music, theater, and other events) have really gone up in the last 30-40 years, far more than the rate of inflation. It's what the market will bear (sort of like college tuition, although that's a more complex story) but that doesn't make it less sh-tty.

Is it really a "shitty" situation? Those that can afford it now can watch the show in comfort while sipping their favorite beverage rather than battling a crowd and having to watch the show pressed between people's sweaty armpits. It's expensive, but it's probably a more enjoyable experience for a lot of folks.

Whine away!

He also wrote Anthem and The Trees, which offer a whole other point-of-view and/or context.

If the guys in Rush were not at all interested in humanitarian causes or didn't give back to the larger community in other ways, then maybe there's a point here. But, even then, I would suggest that is, in and of itself, an unfair burden.

But, really, how is Neil's writing about his racing hobby any different than Geddy's massive wine collection or his ridiculously rare, cool, and expensive baseball memorabilia collection? How is it any different than Alex picking up golf as a hobby (as I seriously doubt he is playing with older or used equipment, let alone on public courses while on tour)?

Neil, Alex, and Geddy are all very wealthy men who have hobbies and habits that are indicative of their wealth. Yet, for some reason, there seems to be a tendency to pile on Neil and ignore the other two. Perhaps it is because Neil chooses to do his communicating with his fans through writing and blogs (that is his comfort zone), while Geddy and Alex tend to communicate through interviews. Sure, interviews *feel* more personal and personable, but the behavior of all three in the context of their wealth is pretty much equal among them. Alex and Geddy get a pass, but Neil doesn't? I don't get that.

Nevertheless, I don't think any of the three of them have to apologize for being rich and they can have whatever hobbies they want.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 2

I love that Neil communicates with fans through blogs and other forms. At least he is communicating. He doesn't have to do interviews or meet-n-greets to be communicative. In fact, I can argue that over the last 20 years, Neil has communicated more with the fan base than Geddy and Alex. Just because he does it differently, doesn't make it wrong.

As far as his hobbies - good for him. He's earned the opportunities to have a winter home in Canada or go on a trip, own a fuly loaded BMW motorcycle, or whatever else he likes to do. You don't have deny yourself the pleasures in life you have earned through hard work, passion, and dedication. You can still be a good human being and philanthropist and still engage in passions and desires.

Enough. Let him be. You don't know him. Stop judging him.

• Like 3

I love that Neil communicates with fans through blogs and other forms. At least he is communicating. He doesn't have to do interviews or meet-n-greets to be communicative. In fact, I can argue that over the last 20 years, Neil has communicated more with the fan base than Geddy and Alex. Just because he does it differently, doesn't make it wrong.

As far as his hobbies - good for him. He's earned the opportunities to have a winter home in Canada or go on a trip, own a fuly loaded BMW motorcycle, or whatever else he likes to do. You don't have deny yourself the pleasures in life you have earned through hard work, passion, and dedication. You can still be a good human being and philanthropist and still engage in passions and desires.

Enough. Let him be. You don't know him. Stop judging him.

Here, here. I second that notion.

Is it really a "shitty" situation? Those that can afford it now can watch the show in comfort while sipping their favorite beverage rather than battling a crowd and having to watch the show pressed between people's sweaty armpits. It's expensive, but it's probably a more enjoyable experience for a lot of folks.

If someone wants to watch a show in comfort, they should do it from their living room.

The thing is that it's crucial to have crazy, sweaty, energetic people in the front. Those folks have a responsibility to everyone else in the room which is to exchange energy with the artist all night, ideally resulting in a better and more powerful performance for all. Nothing sucks more as a performer than to think the people they are supposed to entertain are bored, but what else can they assume when looking into a crowd everyone they can easily see are sitting in comfort and not really getting into whatever it is they're doing? That's when performances get phoned in and/or cut short. Why do you think some artists will not play to 100% seated rooms and require a standing pit, at the very least?

• Like 2

If someone wants to watch a show in comfort, they should do it from their living room.

The thing is that it's crucial to have crazy, sweaty, energetic people in the front. Those folks have a responsibility to everyone else in the room which is to exchange energy with the artist all night, ideally resulting in a better and more powerful performance for all. Nothing sucks more as a performer than to think the people they are supposed to entertain are bored, but what else can they assume when looking into a crowd everyone they can easily see are sitting in comfort and not really getting into whatever it is they're doing? That's when performances get phoned in and/or cut short. Why do you think some artists will not play to 100% seated rooms and require a standing pit, at the very least?

That's horseshit. Just because somebody pays a premium to be up front, doesn't mean they're going to sit on their ass during the show. They have zero responsibility to anybody at the show. I dunno when the last Rush show you attended had a bunch of 'rich boring people' up front doing nothing, but I never have even once witnessed that, and I've been to a lot of Rush gigs. It's GOOD that Rush doesn't do a GA pit. GA pits suck balls. There is no reason at all to assume going to a concert must mean you must be uncomfortable to have a good time.

LOL, some of you guys are a little regressive when it comes to concerts. You're not 16 anymore. Deal with it.

• Like 2