Please stop whining

coventry

Not-buying-tickets-until-I-see-the-setlist crew, checking in.

I understand the band plans to invite you to rehearsals so you can see the setlist firsthand, because your attendance is REALLY important to them. They're actually pretty nervous about it as they'd be forced to consider canceling the tour if you couldn't attend. :(

Well, imo, they should simply cancel any tour plans if its a continuation of a tour with the SOS. I mean, seriously, at this stage of the game its now or never- pull out the big guns or go into fckin' retirement. Who has the time or patience for them adhering to old philosophies regarding tour protocol? "Oh, we'll never do a greatest hits tour like all those down-and-out loser bands". Get over yourselves, ffs. If Rush won't perform a setlist worthy of representing songs crucial to their development and success and satisfying their "deepest" fans, then they've lost any remaining integrity they have left.

They're limited to playing songs that Geddy can actually sing. Unfortunately that eliminates much of their earlier work. Most "old Rush good/new Rush bad" fans have trouble understanding or accepting that, and they get flustered when they don't play all of Hemispheres.

I've taken this into consideration. There are alternate ways to circumvent Ged's limitations. If they want to present those songs in a different manner, they can, but its easier for them just to whine about the intricacies involved in doing so and not play songs they'd just prefer to flush. I'm sick of hearing the bullchit excuses. If they won't make an effort then, pardon moi, but F.M.

Dude, you're the one who suggested Geddy use vocal correction techniques like auto tune or pitch adjustment when performing live, or just have 70's Geddy's voice play over the speakers as they play their instruments. If you'd like, I can go get the thread.

And YOU'RE saying they have no integrity?

• Like 3

I understand the band plans to invite you to rehearsals so you can see the setlist firsthand, because your attendance is REALLY important to them. They're actually pretty nervous about it as they'd be forced to consider canceling the tour if you couldn't attend. :(

Well, imo, they should simply cancel any tour plans if its a continuation of a tour with the SOS. I mean, seriously, at this stage of the game its now or never- pull out the big guns or go into fckin' retirement. Who has the time or patience for them adhering to old philosophies regarding tour protocol? "Oh, we'll never do a greatest hits tour like all those down-and-out loser bands". Get over yourselves, ffs. If Rush won't perform a setlist worthy of representing songs crucial to their development and success and satisfying their "deepest" fans, then they've lost any remaining integrity they have left.

They're limited to playing songs that Geddy can actually sing. Unfortunately that eliminates much of their earlier work. Most "old Rush good/new Rush bad" fans have trouble understanding or accepting that, and they get flustered when they don't play all of Hemispheres.

Been waiting for Hemispheres since 1982!!! (when I first saw Rush live). It ain't happening! When they played Prelude on the CP tour I went ape shit....thought it was finally happening.....but no. And he was strainng back then...badly.

Hell I have been pining for Jacobs Ladder a song so undemanding vocally you could not ask for a better old Rush song to bring out.

Still waiting.

They attempted rehearsing Jacob's Ladder on a previous tour (either Snakes or Time Machine, I can't remember...) and they said it just wasn't working right and left it at that. It's by no means an easy song to play with all the funky time signatures and patterns. Still, it can't hurt to try again.

Really...?

Is it because a 'best of' setlist would be too mundane for you?

Or a 'deep cuts' setlist may be.... too deep for you?

Or whatever Rush plans on playing, including A/B alternates, may just be not to your liking, at least not enough to attend the show?

I can understand how a certain setlist could greatly enhance your concert experience....

...but to have the setlist alone, determine if you are attending or not...

I think you should save your money and spin your favorites at home.

I attempted to tolerate the Time Machine setlist and left 3/4 the way through. A generous pee-break couldn't save the experience either. So, yes, the setlist is the defining factor should I attend the show or not. Could care less about any accoutrements to "enhance" the show unless they complement the older material.

Really...?

Or whatever Rush plans on playing, including A/B alternates, may just be not to your liking, at least not enough to attend the show?

I can understand how a certain setlist could greatly enhance your concert experience....

I attempted to tolerate the Time Machine setlist and left 3/4 the way through. A generous pee-break couldn't save the experience either. So, yes, the setlist is the defining factor should I attend the show or not. Could care less about any accoutrements to "enhance" the show unless they complement the older material.

Well, like Bobby Brown, that's your prerogative. A 41-year old band with over 150 tunes is bound to displease a bunch of people. They'll also please a lot more.

How old is the "older material"? Are we talking pre-Signals here? That means you champion 1/4 of the band's history while discounting the majority of their career. I mean, at this stage, RTB is "older material", and even T4E is almost 20 years old.

Really...?

Well, like Bobby Brown, that's your prerogative. A 41-year old band with over 150 tunes is bound to displease a bunch of people. They'll also please a lot more.

How old is the "older material"? Are we talking pre-Signals here? That means you champion 1/4 of the band's history while discounting the majority of their career. I mean, at this stage, RTB is "older material", and even T4E is almost 20 years old.

Gemini, how about you state your "terms" here on what you want them to play. I think it's pretty obvious at this point you won't settle for anything less than every song that would have killed even mid-80's Geddy halfway through the tour.

• Like 1

anyone think it's funny that gemini apparently decided to walk out during the time machine tour RIGHT BEFORE they played 4 songs from the 70s?

Hemispheres and Fly By Night weren't part of it. NOT GOOD ENOUGH MANG

• Like 1

anyone think it's funny that gemini apparently decided to walk out during the time machine tour RIGHT BEFORE they played 4 songs from the 70s?

yeah, no shit. jeez, the whole encore was la villa and working man and gemini was STILL pissed.

I've taken this into consideration. There are alternate ways to circumvent Ged's limitations. If they want to present those songs in a different manner, they can, but its easier for them just to whine about the intricacies involved in doing so and not play songs they'd just prefer to flush. I'm sick of hearing the bullchit excuses. If they won't make an effort then, pardon moi, but F.M.

Dude, you're the one who suggested Geddy use vocal correction techniques like auto tune or pitch adjustment when performing live, or just have 70's Geddy's voice play over the speakers as they play their instruments. If you'd like, I can go get the thread.

Did he really suggest that? Damn, that's some top shelf trolling right there. Gotta give him credit.

• Like 2

Yes to autotune or pitch adjustment....even helium. Whatever vocal support or enhancement is necessary to revisit the halcyon period. Infinitely better than hearing sensory-numbing Rush 2.o (or y2k).

Btw, never suggested using his recorded voice from yrs ago.

Are there a handful of songs played that would allow you to attend?...or

Are there a handful of songs played that would not allow you to attend?

Just trying to figure out your angle on waiting to know the setlist before you decide to see Rush perform live.

I am well aware of GeminiRising79 'angle' in the past...just wondering if things have changed... :facepalm:

Yeah not sure I get the idea behind that. Why would anyone want them to play songs that they don't feel comfortable playing? As soon as they'd do something like a vocal octaver or some other kind of vocal manipulation people would be complaining about that. They can't win no matter what they do, at least according to people who can't deal with them being older. No one LIKES it, but it's the way things are.

yeah, no shit. jeez, the whole encore was la villa and working man and gemini was STILL pissed.

I burned out on live La Villa at the '81 MP tour.

Edited by GeminiRising79

Just trying to figure out your angle on waiting to know the setlist before you decide to see Rush perform live.

I am well aware of GeminiRising79 'angle' in the past...just wondering if things have changed... :facepalm:

Basically it comes down to the ratio of "great" songs to "bad" ones, and, the magnitude of how bad the bad songs are. By and large, songs played from 2000-on, imo, comprise dead spots in the show. If there are enough of these bombs peppered into the setlist, I'm out. Simple as that.

Edited by GeminiRising79

Not to be acerbic, but whine, whine, whine; "in the past it was this"; "it used to be so easy to do this"; "what happened to the days of.."; "I'm frustrated with how I'm not able to get seats that befit my love of the band..."

I'm sorry - did a bunch of my self-entitled high school seniors just take over this forum? I mean, I understand the frustration, but we're adults here. This is a capitalist, supply/demand system. Yes - there are slimy scalpers with professionally-written bot algorithms who scoop up all the good seats and then make obscene profits on them. This has been going on for how long now? Why is this news?

I agree - its a deplorable, albeit legal practice that somewhat deadens the whole experience. And yes, sometimes I too would like to be able to stand in line at the local venue or TM outlet overnight and proffer up $30 for a 2nd row seat. I'd also like to open up a brand new "Missile Command" cartridge while listening to the Police's new album, Synchronicity, but that's not going to happen again, either.

You want tickets to a major draw, arena rock band? Then this is part of the game. You want good seats consistently? Start seeing smaller acts in smaller venues. Try general admission shows. Try the symphony or a good jazz club. But please stop whining about your frustration at being outwitted in the ticket game.

The Police have a new album?
  • Like 1

:laughing guy: :clap: :joker:
  • Like 2

Yes to autotune or pitch adjustment....even helium. Whatever vocal support or enhancement is necessary to revisit the halcyon period. Infinitely better than hearing sensory-numbing Rush 2.o (or y2k).

Btw, never suggested using his recorded voice from yrs ago.

You are either a troll or a delusional bitter old man. Possibly both. The boys certainly won't miss you at any of their concerts.

Point was, those presales and fan club accesses are limited. They do not represent the bulk of the tickets.

Then I do not understand how TM resale can have 2472 tickets for resale and Stub Hub 2245 tickets for sale for the Tampa show THE DAY BEFORE the public sale. These were tickets with section, row and seat number - in some cases, you could find entire rows on the floor for resale (At ~3 to 10 times face) before the public sale ever happened. Yeah, it's not a majority of the tickets in a ~20k seat venue (~15k for end stage concert?) - but the preponderance of floor and lower bowl tickets availabe for resale before public sale and experience of fans largely getting offered crap upper bowl tickets during presale strongly suggests that ticket sales are not "random pulls" or that it's even "free market" ecomonics. I think many are not "whining" about face prices - it's the massively inflated prices that a rigged system has created.

It's been rigged for 20 years running man.

I got 10th row tickets for the Roll The Bones Tour back in 92 at $95 a ticket. Do you know what the face value was on those? 35 bucks.

170% premium. Seems cheap now...but 23 years ago that was a lot of money for a concert.

A lot of these floor seats are VIP tickets at $400 face and people are asking for a 100% mark up on them. So the VIP system for the fans has now turned on us. The brokers and scalpers got whiff of it and since they did not do what they did the last two tours with will call pick-up (which should never have been taken away for VIP tickets) the blood sucking brokers pounced. Also season ticket holders have become more and more prevalent and brokers are the ones who become these so-called season ticket holders as a business investment.

It sucks. But it is the reality. I am lucky I snagged great lower bowl seats for Tampa in the pre-sale and lucky I had a great connection for my floor Vegas tickets. Otherwise I would have been waiting till the week of the show to snag tickets from desperate sellers.

You complain about the scalpers, but on the other hand admit to supporting them. What am I missing here?

Who says I bought those Roll The Bones tickets from a broker? I bought them from a freaking Rush fan who I sat next too at the show. He capitalized. Last I looked that was allowed in our country.

You know capitalism?

What sucks is how the VIP system which was intended for the hardcore fans went sour this tour. It was working just fine with will call pick up.

Brokers are in business. It's all about how much your willing to pay. I learned a long time ago to wait....wait till the week of the show. I wish I had known that when I was 22 and paid $95 a seat from a dude I was referred to by another friend of mine who said he worked at Coconut records, pulled 4 seats and was selling two tickets. I asked him how much.

He wanted $150 a ticket. I talked him down to $95. I felt under $100 a seat to be that close was well worth it.

Freewill man.

But the system is rigged for brokers. I know it, you know it. And there is not a damn thing anyone can really do about it. So when they are sitting on premium tickets a few days before the show....take advantage of them. I was able to get a pair 2nd row at 35 bucks above face from a broker for S&A in Orlando 2 days before the show.

This is the system that has been in place for 2 decades.....I learned how to work it. I can bitch about it as...it does suck (capitalism works both ways..winners and losers but I accept that gladly). But I adapted and learned to work it. Better than standing my ground and sitting in nose bleeds. f**k that. I have some cash that I work my ass off for. I will spend it any damn way I want.

Concert ticket buying is not a socialist exercise.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Gemini - I actually applaud you, fwiw, for being so patient despite the constant slings and arrows. It's easy to lash out in a forum i.e. the OP.

However, your post above was hilarious!

• Like 3

Point was, those presales and fan club accesses are limited. They do not represent the bulk of the tickets.

Then I do not understand how TM resale can have 2472 tickets for resale and Stub Hub 2245 tickets for sale for the Tampa show THE DAY BEFORE the public sale. These were tickets with section, row and seat number - in some cases, you could find entire rows on the floor for resale (At ~3 to 10 times face) before the public sale ever happened. Yeah, it's not a majority of the tickets in a ~20k seat venue (~15k for end stage concert?) - but the preponderance of floor and lower bowl tickets availabe for resale before public sale and experience of fans largely getting offered crap upper bowl tickets during presale strongly suggests that ticket sales are not "random pulls" or that it's even "free market" ecomonics. I think many are not "whining" about face prices - it's the massively inflated prices that a rigged system has created.

It's been rigged for 20 years running man.

I got 10th row tickets for the Roll The Bones Tour back in 92 at $95 a ticket. Do you know what the face value was on those? 35 bucks.

170% premium. Seems cheap now...but 23 years ago that was a lot of money for a concert.

A lot of these floor seats are VIP tickets at $400 face and people are asking for a 100% mark up on them. So the VIP system for the fans has now turned on us. The brokers and scalpers got whiff of it and since they did not do what they did the last two tours with will call pick-up (which should never have been taken away for VIP tickets) the blood sucking brokers pounced. Also season ticket holders have become more and more prevalent and brokers are the ones who become these so-called season ticket holders as a business investment.

It sucks. But it is the reality. I am lucky I snagged great lower bowl seats for Tampa in the pre-sale and lucky I had a great connection for my floor Vegas tickets. Otherwise I would have been waiting till the week of the show to snag tickets from desperate sellers.

You complain about the scalpers, but on the other hand admit to supporting them. What am I missing here?

Who says I bought those Roll The Bones tickets from a broker? I bought them from a freaking Rush fan who I sat next too at the show. He capitalized. Last I looked that was allowed in our country.

A person , not a broker, asked you to pay $95 for tickets in 1992?

Not an even $100 or an even $90? $95...

Such an odd amount, because we know people selling things are always looking to give people a $5 off break

Hmm...$95...yeah, that's believable. :sarcastic:

• Like 1

Who says I bought those Roll The Bones tickets from a broker?...

I was able to get a pair 2nd row at 35 bucks above face from a broker

There's that nasty B word again :codger:

And how exactly did you take advantage? $35 above face means they still made their money back and thereby were supported.

Edited by Justin Case

Basically it comes down to the ratio of "great" songs to "bad" ones, and, the magnitude of how bad the bad songs are. By and large, songs played from 2000-on, imo, comprise dead spots in the show. If there are enough of these bombs peppered into the setlist, I'm out. Simple as that.

Fair enough...It seems you're not into the newer (post 2000/last 15 yrs.) songs played either at home or live. Can't complain about that...you like what you like.

I do think your window of opportunity to like, or at least allow yourself to enjoy a setlist, is closing fast. Sure, they'll play some older stuff, but with La Villa not cutting it for you, I'm not sure your desired ratio will even come close.

So...The odds are you won't want to see them live and you don't really like too much of Rush's music over the past 15 years....and yet still you're here 'contributing' to a Rush Fan site.

Bizarre....In my opinion.