Please stop whining

coventry

In his latest post about being a very-part time endurance racer, Neil manages to squeeze in a humble brag about driving his $280,000 sports car.

Whine away!

:laughing guy:

Good thing he had a full crew with him for his epic casual drive :LOL:
  • Like 2

In his latest post about being a very-part time endurance racer, Neil manages to squeeze in a humble brag about driving his $280,000 sports car.

Whine away!

So. This is what the idle rich do. Well, when they're not whining about touring.

• Like 3

Whine away!

So. This is what the idle rich do. Well, when they're not whining about touring.

From a guy that writes a song like the Larger Bowl, lol!
  • Like 2

Whine away!

So which is worse...the guy that writes a song like the Larger Bowl, or the obedient fans that buy the albums and concerts with said song?

I hate to break it to everyone. Even if the whiners on here don't attend this tour, I still think the boys will make some really decent coin.

The seat prices aren't that unreasonable. I think that people on here are expecting good seats for $50 or less like previous tours. Sorry, but your life long devotion doesn't buy you 20th row or less tickets anymore. Your expectations are too high...compromise or move on. Or exercise some patience, grasshoppa, and wait for the scalper prices to come down.

Like others have mentioned, if certain cities are a tough ticket to get, go to a reasonably close city that's not as challenging. Chicago is selling well, but Detroit not as much, which affects the ticket demand and pricing.

I've mentioned the story of missing out on seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn in concert 3 days before he died. Regretted it ever since. I'd hate to miss Rush one more time before they become no more, for whatever reason.

Whine away!

And The Big Money.

FWIW, scalpers are not stupid. They know which shows they can gouge the most for, and it's no secret that Rush has a fan base that is largely fiercely loyal if not autistically obsessive. That's why they are all over this tour. Same thing happens with Soundgarden—same sort of mindset in the audience, although that band is notorious for playing a different set every show. They also go to greater lengths to prevent scalpers from monopolizing tix, but it doesn't generally work. Those thugs have it down to a science. The high face value for tix isn't any worse than TM or CA. It's just what happens with a tour this large, and with musicians selling less physical vinyl/CDs.
  • Like 2

Not to be acerbic, but whine, whine, whine; "in the past it was this"; "it used to be so easy to do this"; "what happened to the days of.."; "I'm frustrated with how I'm not able to get seats that befit my love of the band..."

I'm sorry - did a bunch of my self-entitled high school seniors just take over this forum? I mean, I understand the frustration, but we're adults here. This is a capitalist, supply/demand system. Yes - there are slimy scalpers with professionally-written bot algorithms who scoop up all the good seats and then make obscene profits on them. This has been going on for how long now? Why is this news?

I agree - its a deplorable, albeit legal practice that somewhat deadens the whole experience. And yes, sometimes I too would like to be able to stand in line at the local venue or TM outlet overnight and proffer up $30 for a 2nd row seat. I'd also like to open up a brand new "Missile Command" cartridge while listening to the Police's new album, Synchronicity, but that's not going to happen again, either.

You want tickets to a major draw, arena rock band? Then this is part of the game. You want good seats consistently? Start seeing smaller acts in smaller venues. Try general admission shows. Try the symphony or a good jazz club. But please stop whining about your frustration at being outwitted in the ticket game.

Glad life is perfect with you and I am sure you NEVER complain about anything in it!

Not to be acerbic, but whine, whine, whine; "in the past it was this"; "it used to be so easy to do this"; "what happened to the days of.."; "I'm frustrated with how I'm not able to get seats that befit my love of the band..."

I'm sorry - did a bunch of my self-entitled high school seniors just take over this forum? I mean, I understand the frustration, but we're adults here. This is a capitalist, supply/demand system. Yes - there are slimy scalpers with professionally-written bot algorithms who scoop up all the good seats and then make obscene profits on them. This has been going on for how long now? Why is this news?

I agree - its a deplorable, albeit legal practice that somewhat deadens the whole experience. And yes, sometimes I too would like to be able to stand in line at the local venue or TM outlet overnight and proffer up $30 for a 2nd row seat. I'd also like to open up a brand new "Missile Command" cartridge while listening to the Police's new album, Synchronicity, but that's not going to happen again, either.

You want tickets to a major draw, arena rock band? Then this is part of the game. You want good seats consistently? Start seeing smaller acts in smaller venues. Try general admission shows. Try the symphony or a good jazz club. But please stop whining about your frustration at being outwitted in the ticket game.

:facepalm:

Its not about whining,

More about frustration.

Yes I agree. There are a lot of people that have been long time fans that can't afford the tickets this time. Especially if it's going to be their last decent sized tour.

I can understand thinking this, but sometimes it's better to just keep quiet. People just need to vent their frustration and this may be the only outlet they have with people that would understand.

Bums on seats are bums on seats, though quite often you do find bums (freeloaders) on seats.

Tour Manager: " It's another full house tonight guy's "

The Band : Oh!

An audience is an audience whether they are all 100% die - hard fans or not.. so long as they sell enough seats to break even the band or promoters really couldn't give a shit !

The formula for happiness is easy: Buy ticket + Go to show = HAPPY HAPPY!!!!

Look, last tour I had font row center at the Pittsburgh show. This time around I have level 3 in Buffalo. Guess what? I am HAPPY simply because I am going!

Edited by drgrendel
  • Like 2

So I'm really late to reply here and I will say right off the bat that I did not read all the posts. So forgive me if I repeat the thoughts of others.

Is the premise that if I speak out against escalating ticket costs, scalpers, or God forbid, bands that claim to be "all about the fans" proving to be everything but that-- WHINING??? If so, well.... Call me a whiner, because I will never stop seeing the world for what it is at times. I love Rush. I have loved them for 35 of my 45 years but I have no doubt that Rush is in fact, all about the money. If they wanted to control costs, they could and they would. If they wanted to take care of Backstage members and ensure that scalpers and bots didn't take over, the could and they would. The truth is--- and this may be a little hard for some--- Rush is about getting as much as they can from each and every one of us. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with this. What I struggle with is this notion that Rush is engaged in some sort of musical philanthropy. They play exactly what pleases them at the time and they charge whatever they believe they can get for a ticket. If they could get $200 in Denver, a la Fleetwood Mac, they certainly would.

Truthfully, it's not really the money that bothers me. It's the lack of protection for the fan club folks that have been with them FOREVER. Take a look at other bands with similar followings, nearly all of them take much better care of their fans. I've never drawn worse than row 3 for Iron Maiden (even in Europe) and I've never stood next to anyone that didn't have the cred of a long-time fan. On the C.A. tour I landed my first front row seat for Rush (by chance after seeing every tour since GUP) and I stood next to three people that had never seen a Rush show and were given their tickets by a work associate who, "had a bunch of extras."

The Rush pre-sales have been awful since... Well since forever. People have asked/begged for a little fan-love from Anthem and we've never been heard. Or perhaps we have been heard but Anthem just doesn't really give a crap. I suppose that's their right. Sometimes we just want so desperately for our heroes to be someone they're not. Geddy Lee is not Steve Harris. When Harris says, "It's all about the fans" I can believe him.

Now, on the flipside: They do give us one hell of a show and they are the greatest trio to ever take the stage.

• Like 1

If Rush were all about the money they wouldn't have done the CA tour the way they did it, nor make the number of tour dates now so modest. Its a preposterous thought, IMO. The way they dont mail it in and do a show as long as they do show that. They arent running a goddamned charity. Hahahahaa. That is all.

Tickets are WAY more than they were in the olden days, even accounting for inflation. Stage shows are WAY more impressive than the old days as well, and lots of people are making lots of money as well. IN the olden days the bands made money selling albums. Now they make very very little - another upward pressure on tickets. In the old days, you had to find the right scalper or broker to sit up front and even with money you may have had no access. Now, its a shit ton of money, but from your armchair you can get a seat in the first 3 rows downloaded to you. In the old days one could get a contact high. Now, youll get in trouble for lighting a doobie not because its a doobie but because you lit ANYTHING indoors. In the old days guys climbed rope ladders to operate the lights, now robocop does it. In the old days everyone had lighters. In the old days no one knew what the f**k the setlist was until you showed up. Ahhh history. Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 3

If it was just the tickets yeah maybe it's a whine.

But for me given current schedule and nearest concert (Tampa), the tickets, AND the 5 hour one way drive,there AND back, AND the cost of accomodations, AND cost of meals, AND cost of pre/post concert libations AND any merchandise, HELL YEAH, I'm gonna pitch a bitch.

Edited by pjbear05

Rush is no more or less 'about the money' than any other arena-level band. Steve Harris is snowjobbing you. :)

Snowjobbing? Take a look at their website and how they manage pre-sales. . Rush is an out of sight, out of mind band and that's a fact. Like I said, I don't care what their motivation is I just want to see a little honesty and perspective. Many bands use other ticket selling avenues to avoid the scumbags in the industry--- I think Bruce Springsteen and Pearl Jam can be considered "arena level' and they've managed to keep tickets in the right hands and at the right dollar amount. 85 bucks for Springsteen with NO FEES!

Presales and fan club access is limited to X number of people, across the board. Even the bands that do that right, are still making BANK through general public sales and marked up VIP offerings. Including PJ and Bruce. The tickets you're talking about are a small % of the large mass ticket offerings.

If you're lamenting Rush's lack of a fan club that offers subscribed fans first access at reasonable prices, well, that's a different thing, but technically Rush did that too, with the fan club MusicToday tickets.

Edited by Van Squalen

Presales and fan club access is limited to X number of people, across the board. Even the bands that do that right, are still making BANK through general public sales and marked up VIP offerings. Including PJ and Bruce. The tickets you're talking about are a small % of the large mass ticket offerings.

If you're lamenting Rush's lack of a fan club that offers subscribed fans first access at reasonable prices, well, that's a different thing, but technically Rush did that too, with the fan club MusicToday tickets.

PJ and Bruce keep prices low by going around TM completely and setting caps.

Maiden keeps the trolls out of pre-sales by managing them without a third party. They also block out a predetermined section for VIP only.

I guess Coventry deserves thanks for providing a dedicated thread for people to whine about tickets prices..
  • Like 1

Count yourselves lucky you're even getting the chance!

My point exactly. Those of us here in the States ARE getting a chance to get seats, no matter how far away from the stage, to see a show from a band that's been in part or in whole our soundtrack for many years. Those equally passionate fans in other parts of the world who may not even get the chance to try to get good seats - or any seats at all - are the ones I feel have a legit gripe.

• Like 1