Becoming very frustrated with Ticketmaster

Zurisht

Don't complain about Ticketmaster of Stubhub then.

If you think that it is just and reasonable to charge $5,000 for a first row ticket at MSG, or three thousand plus for one in Chicago, or $10,000 for second row seats in Newark, that is your prerogative.

I'm not going to the concert anyway. :hi:

• Like 1

I'm a battle-seasoned concert veteran in my old age. :)

All this frustration over accessibility to good seats is a bit confusing. It's never been easy to get good seats; actually, the Internet has given us far more accessibilty than ever, it's just expensive on the higher tiers. None of that is surprising to me. I get discouraged when I don't land exactly what I'm looking for when the bell rings on the presale or general sale too. I sigh and resign myself to something else, or consider checking my budget to see if I can afford the secondary market's options. I tried and tried for over an hour both on the presale and the general sale to land VIP Gold packages for Irvine with no success, and I am fairly good at internet speed when it comes to tickets.

But then again, waiting in line at the venue since 4 am has happened too in the past, long ago in the distant past, LOL, and waiting in life for 8 hours praying that they'll still have pit seats available despite the fact there were 20 people in front of me, and that didn't always happen either. Good seats have ALWAYS been put aside for comps, band associates and family and friends, band management and corporate incentives, venue VIPs and season ticket holders, etc, etc, etc.

Good seats have NEVER been easy to get.

If you want equality across the board, you have to stick to General Admission. And even then...you'll have to put in the time and effort to be among the first in line to make the mad dash for up front position. And that tends to be an 8 to 12 hour slog.

And once upon a time as a teen or a college kid, I'd do that.

LOL, who the hell can do that at our age these days? I've been a Rush fan since 1980. I'm not going to race the kiddies to the front rail. If that means I gotta pony up another couple C notes, either I"m not going because I can't afford it or I'm gritting my teeth and soldiering through it.

Don't complain about Ticketmaster of Stubhub then.

If you think that it is just and reasonable to charge $5,000 for a first row ticket at MSG, or three thousand plus for one in Chicago, or $10,000 for second row seats in Newark, that is your prerogative.

I'm not going to the concert anyway. :hi:

I didn't say it was reasonable. I said that's how high demand consumer-driven markets work.

You're assigning social injustices and moral high ground in a supply and demand system that doesn't care about that. :)

Everyone always says the only way to combat the markup in the secondary markets is if all the fans refuse to pay those kinds of prices.

What, pray tell, in the history of mankind, makes people think that's even a remote possibility? :)

Rare and precious goods will always be marked up by their sellers.

And the truth is, Rush tickets these days - on what may be their last tour - are rare and precious.

Nothing new here. Since the dawn of one man paying another man for a service or a thing, some things have higher value and some things not widely available are wanted by many.

It ain't rocket science. :)

• Like 3

Let's say the commodity was not a concert ticket, but...well, how about food?

You go to a butcher shop to get good steaks for dinner. The shop has advertised that they're going to have the steaks you want, available at 10:00 AM Friday. You know that lots of other people want them too, but you're willing to go at the appointed time, and pay what it costs, because it's going to be a really flippin' good steak. But when you get there, you find out that the ones you were counting on to choose from are not there anymore, and as far as what you have left to choose from, the meat is turning grey- they're just not what you were looking for. And they cost just as much as the good ones you thought you'd find.

However, the grocery store just down the road has bought up all of the good steaks and is selling some of them for anywhere between 800 to 10000% more. The steaks you were expecting to be able to get for $9.00 a pound might now be anywhere from $70-$900 a pound. Just for example, of course.

Is that the market driving value? No. That's price gouging. That is what one might call highway robbery.

I gave my own experience at the beginning of this thread, which was (fortunately, for me) a good one. But it's indisputable that Ticketmaster has helped give rise to legalized scalping.

• Like 3

One can argue the prices all day long,

Its 2015 not 1975. The process of just buying a ticket is what pi**** me off!

Exactly. The ticket prices are damn sure ridiculous...regardless of a person's income.

However, the ticket buying process is an absolute joke. If it was legit...ALL tickets would be up for sale the moment the sales begin.

For example: I was on at 10am sharp on Friday to purchase tickets to one of the Toronto shows. Guess what? All day long...and not a single ticket was coming up. So, am I to believe that they sold 15,000 tickets at the very second they went on sale?! Please. How can someone honestly get nothing available at the point of sale to the general public?!

Instead, what you have is all of the top tickets being put on Ticketmaster's own 'Platinum' page at 5 times the actual face value that they have stated on THEIR very own website. Legalized scalping right from the source.

If you don't see an issue with that, I'm not sure what to say.

• Like 2

You go to a butcher shop to get good steaks for dinner. The shop has advertised that they're going to have the steaks you want, available at 10:00 AM Friday. You know that lots of other people want them too, but you're willing to go at the appointed time, and pay what it costs, because it's going to be a really flippin' good steak. But when you get there, you find out that the ones you were counting on to choose from are not there anymore, and as far as what you have left to choose from, the meat is turning grey- they're just not what you were looking for. And they cost just as much as the good ones you thought you'd find.

However, the grocery store just down the road has bought up all of the good steaks and is selling some of them for anywhere between 800 to 10000% more. The steaks you were expecting to be able to get for $9.00 a pound might now be anywhere from $70-$900 a pound. Just for example, of course.

Is that the market driving value? No. That's price gouging. That is what one might call highway robbery.

I gave my own experience at the beginning of this thread, which was (fortunately, for me) a good one. But it's indisputable that Ticketmaster has helped give rise to legalized scalping.

Spot on. 100% agree.

• Like 1

There is no doubt that Ticketmaster is in cahoots with websites like StubHub as well.

The fact that there are countless top seats there...and were there even before general public sales pretty much confirms that as well.

The sad part is...so many die-hard fans get left out in the cold from watching their favourite band, unless they're willing to fork over a mortgage payment, which most are not...because they CANNOT. That's the real issue I have with it all.

Edited by EmotionDetector
  • Like 2

No one's questioning that the markups are ridiculous, of course. But what you left out of your analogy is how the grocery store bought out all those steaks before you did. And if we're talking about bots and automated software, then of course that's a different animal, it's cheating. However, if that same company HIRES a number of people to buy and cherry pick from the same options you yourself have at 10 am, that's just the nature of the business. Annoying and frustrating, sure. Illegal? No. You yourself could, in theory, have all your friends and your extended family sit at their own computers to increase your chances of ticket offerings.

Technically LN and TM have 'bot' firewalls and captchas, but we all know those aren't failsafe to certain programs.

It really comes down to lamenting that we individuals don't have the same capabilities as corporations.

And to that, I'll say....welcome to the two thousand year old industrial era of commerce, LOL.

No one's questioning that the markups are ridiculous, of course. But what you left out of your analogy is how the grocery store bought out all those steaks before you did. And if we're talking about bots and automated software, then of course that's a different animal, it's cheating. However, if that same company HIRES a number of people to buy and cherry pick from the same options you yourself have at 10 am, that's just the nature of the business. Annoying and frustrating, sure. Illegal? No. You yourself could, in theory, have all your friends and your extended family sit at their own computers to increase your chances of ticket offerings.

Technically LN and TM have 'bot' firewalls and captchas, but we all know those aren't failsafe to certain programs.

It really comes down to lamenting that we individuals don't have the same capabilities as corporations.

And to that, I'll say....welcome to the two thousand year old industrial era of commerce, LOL.

Actually, having more people vying for the same number of tickets actually decreases the chances of getting them, whether they are relatives or friends of mine, or not.

I do understand your position. But what I'm getting from it is that you're saying it's all fine and good with the free market, albeit frustrating for the individual. I'm saying it's unethical. There are laws against unethical business practices, and there are laws against monopolies, too- shamelessly ill-enforced though they may be. I'm just saying this is an example of that.

• Like 2

The problem is...in the end, the only people that could stop this are the bands / artists themselves...by refusing to use Ticketmaster, Live Nation, etc.

I'm sure people could say..."well, we as fans could boycott"... but that's simply not realistic at all.

It's a double-edged sword. Yes, we'd love to make a difference, and feel that the prices are ridiculous and that we wish we could pay less. But then the other side of us says...RUSH is on tour! We have to go see them! Especially now...could be their last tour ever! ETC.

If bands all decided to use their own websites / fan clubs / etc. to sell tickets exclusively...I think the business practices would change a lot.

• Like 2

There is no doubt that Ticketmaster is in cahoots with websites like StubHub as well.

The fact that there are countless top seats there...and were there even before general public sales pretty much confirms that as well.

The sad part is...so many die-hard fans get left out in the cold from watching their favourite band, unless they're willing to fork over a mortgage payment, which most are not...because they CANNOT. That's the real issue I have with it all.

:goodone:

My first Rush concert was AFTK. At this point I am going with a cheap upper level ticket. I have seen them front row in the past and I just want to be there. :codger: :rush:

• Like 3

I'm just stating t's business as usual. Nothing unusual.

Conspiracies about ticket agencies have been around since the sixties. It's all true. But again....it's only fueled by supply and demand. If there are people out there willing to pay x amount a ticket...the business of secondary markets will thrive. And there are, and there always have been, and always will be.

• Like 1

Conspiracies about ticket agencies have been around since the sixties. It's all true. But again....it's only fueled by supply and demand. If there are people out there willing to pay x amount a ticket...the business of secondary markets will thrive. And there are, and there always have been, and always will be.

I posted about the supply/demand thing here or in a different thread. Prices what ever the situation is allows one to decide to buy or not. Its that simple.

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

Oh, I don't disagree. I fully understand the nature of "supply and demand".

Believe me...I'm jealous. I'd love to be in a position where money is no factor, and I could just pay whatever I felt like with no fallout. Sadly, not the case for this fan.

For me, I'm just stating that the whole process of purchasing tickets has continually gotten worse every year, and with every tour...and I just feel like some real die-hard fans are getting screwed and missing out on shows they should be at, all because of unethical practices.

• Like 2

My first Rush concert was AFTK. At this point I am going with a cheap upper level ticket. I have seen them front row in the past and I just want to be there. :codger: :rush:

Agreed. I hear ya. For me, I'm a bit of a "younger" fan (30's), and became a fan right around the end of the TFE tour, so my first Rush show was the Vapor Trails tour.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I also lucked out huge (though at a price) with Front Row seats on the CA Tour. So, for at least one show this year, I decided on Upper Bowl seats for the same reason...just happy to be there (and for my wife to go to her first show since R30!). :)

• Like 1

Hey baby, I've got a great used car here. Purrs like a kitten. Only 15,000 miles on this little car. :LOL:

Who cares, right? supply and demand. don't assign moral and just practices on free enterprise.

Edited by Lorraine

Hey baby, I've got a great used car here. Purrs like a kitten. Only 15,000 miles on this little car. :LOL:

Who cares, right? supply and demand. don't assign moral and just practices on free enterprise.

But no one is forced to walk on to the car lot and buy a car. Just like a concert ticket. Prices are they way they are because some people are willing to pay. Don't wanna pay don't buy. Supply & Demand.

But no one is forced to walk on to the car lot and buy a car. Just like a concert ticket. Prices are they way they are because some people are willing to pay. Don't wanna pay don't buy. Supply & Demand.

Fine, then don't complaint about the price of the tickets being sold by any of the places selling them.

Don't want to pay the price, don't go.

Only a fool would put themselves in debt for a band that already is quite wealthy. Ticket gouging is something that was allowed to get out of hand.

Edited by Lorraine

Only a fool would put themselves in debt for a band that already is quite wealthy.

I take that back and I will explain why.

I've been on this forum for a long time now. I have come to know what Rush means on different levels to so many here. Rush has saved the lives of not a few fans. Fans love them and want to see them at any price for that very reason, and I think it is unfair and unjust to take advantage of that love so many have for them by milking them dry.

• Like 1

Fine, then don't complaint about the price of the tickets being sold by any of the places selling them.

Don't want to pay the price, don't go.

Only a fool would put themselves in debt for a band that already is quite wealthy. Ticket gouging is something that was allowed to get out of hand.

You just made my point! :LOL:

You might say it is gouging. But lets say for example Rush is going to play MSG. Only two thousand fans are going. Is the price going to be $500.00 or & 10.00 bucks?

The reason I am frustrated with Ticketmaster has NOTHING to do with the prices (even 'fan'resale price gouging)...my frustration is their illusional deceit about the availability of tickets....more specific their releasing/holding back of various groups of tickets to deceive the public into desperation buying of cheaper seats, knowing the more desirable, more expensive seats will sell eventually. The whole 'best available' is a sham. I can live with the scalpers (stub hub,TM resale)...It would be nice if Ticketmaster/Live Nation could deal with us straight up....that's obviously not happening....they like everyone else, want a piece of the $ pie. Eventually it might come full circle, whereas resalers on Craigslist or Stubhub will be more affordable, or at least more honest and forthright than Ticketmaster.
  • Like 4

The reason I am frustrated with Ticketmaster has NOTHING to do with the prices (even 'fan'resale price gouging)...my frustration is their illusional deceit about the availability of tickets....more specific their releasing/holding back of various groups of tickets to deceive the public into desperation buying of cheaper seats, knowing the more desirable, more expensive seats will sell eventually. The whole 'best available' is a sham. I can live with the scalpers (stub hub,TM resale)...It would be nice if Ticketmaster/Live Nation could deal with us straight up....that's obviously not happening....they like everyone else, want a piece of the $ pie. Eventually it might come full circle, whereas resalers on Craigslist or Stubhub will be more affordable, or at least more honest and forthright than Ticketmaster.

"Our" gripes are justified.... Ticketmaster's website and system sucks as well. How many of you had the site crash in the middle of a purchase? I had 10th row seats for Chicago until it crashed and 7th row for New Orleans as well. So not only are scaplers, brokers, ect getting tickets but when you finally get through its a damn crap shoot if the system will run smoothly enough to purchase.

This is exactly what happened to me. I had front row center, started to check out and ticketbastards crash in the middle of the purchase. Obviously they weren't there a few seconds later or ever there at all.

I posted about the supply/demand thing here or in a different thread. Prices what ever the situation is allows one to decide to buy or not. Its that simple.

Actually, i think it is a little more complicated than simple supply & demand. It's about a large entity not connected to the band, with considerable resources, exploiting the band and the fans, blocking fan's access to tickets at face value and reselling them in mass quantity at much higher prices, in many cases prior to a public sale. All of this is done with the blessing (and one has to suspect cooperation) of Ticketmaster.

Yes, simple supply and demand can result in very high ticket prices, and there will always be a secondary market. But when entire rows on the floor are available for "Resale" at 4 to 10x face value the day before the public sale, and no more than a couple fans in a group of a few hundred report even being offered a floor seat, the system is broken. This is most certainly not a free market!

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 1