Skip Tom Sawyer

JohnRogers

No! Absolutely not! It wouldn't be a RUSH concert without Tom Sawyer!

It would be like:

Yes without Roundabout

Pink Floyd without Comfortably Numb

Led Zepplin without Stairway to Heaven

Ac-Dc without Back In Black

It would just be wrong!

:bitchslap:

• Like 1

One of my favorite moments out of all the Rush shows I've seen was them opening with it on the VT tour. Hearing right off the bat with the sun shining on them at Riverbend in Cincinnati is a memory I'll never forget.

It was the perfect opening for that tour.....

Message Sent/Message Received: We. Are. Back.

I'm going to be pretty close this time, (row 7) so I'd like to see the drum part in Tom Sawyer. That would be sweet, plus I don't think I'll ever get tired of that song.

It would be like:

Yes without Roundabout

It would just be wrong!

didnt page & plant tour and skip stairway? I could be wrong

• Like 1

It would be like:

Yes without Roundabout

Ac-Dc without Highway To Hell

It would just be wrong!

Fixed a bit for the best AC/DC.... :codger:
  • Like 1

It is a great song live and they enjoy playing it so they will probably play it. They will also have to play for the crowd who, quite a few of them, won't have heard much Rush or maybe don't know it as well, but most people know tom Sawyer.

Anyway I love hearing it live, and it is still one of their greatest songs.

Edited by LittleRushmonkey

I don't see that happening. Some bands will refuse to play their most popular song (e.g. Radiohead refusing to play "Creep"), but, honestly, that makes those bands a collection of tools. The guys in Rush are not, though, tools. Sure, they got sick of Closer to the Heart and put it on the shelf here and there, but Closer to the Heart is neither their quintessential song nor the song they are most known for. Yeah, I get that long time fans who have attended dozens of shows would be okay without Tom Sawyer on the set list, but the truth is, while wehave all heard it live many times, this tour will likely have a good number of audience newbies or fans who haven't been to a show in a long, long time and are drawn because of the last tour of this magnitude conversation. Surely they are aware of this. But perhaps they will throw us long timers a bone and open with it to get it out of the way. :huh:

Tool or Radiohead ;-) . I am big fan of both and agree with Radiohead for skipping Creep. I see TS as a similar song for Rush, it's just not that representative of their catalogue. (Hold on a sec, I am teaching my cat the TS keyboard line). Who cares that it got a lot of radio and the casual fan may want to hear that if they show up- is that who bands play to, their casual fans? I would be surprised if more of the casual fans show up this tour, since prices are through the roof. TS has great drumming(as most Rush songs do, so no big deal there), but TS suffers from exceedingly excessive vamping on the keys and it's light years from Alex' best work. It's also not even close to the best song on side 1 of MP. Of course they will play it, but really, is it so important - for the dude that is only going cuz a Rush fan friend had an extra ticket - that casual fan - to hear TS?

Would the band ever consider skipping Tom Sawyer to give us something else that gets no or little live play? I'd love to go to a Rush show and not hear Tom Sawyer.

No. The majority of the crowd loves it, and Rush themselves love playing it. So... no. :)

Your a looser Rush fan if you could care less to here Tom Sawyer this tour!

Yeah! Hear that everyone?

Bunch of loser Rush fans you are!!!

:LOL: :cool: ;)

Actually, we're looser. I do feel quite relaxed at the moment.

No matter how much we might be tired of hearing the song live, just think how they feel. It's the one song, other than TSOR that they're pretty much obligated to play, which is kind of a shame. There are so many more songs we've never heard that could be used for that slot in the setlist.

I could easily forgive not playing TS but I'd be outraged if they skipped TSOR. I never tire of "concert hall".
  • Like 1

It would be like:

Yes without Roundabout

It would just be wrong!

didnt page & plant tour and skip stairway? I could be wrong

They did for some shows and then added it in, Regardless, It wasn't Led Zeppelin. When they had their one night reunion in London they Played Stairway!

Pretty sure they actually skipped TSOR 2nd show of CA tour. Probably the only time since 1980.

There are a few Songs Rush will never shelve.

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit Of Radio

And they should never shelve them. Everyone loves them, and they always play them with fire and energy. So even after all these decades....they still love playing them as much as we love hearing them. And I appreciate the fact they understand they are a generational band and they always have new fans seeing them for the first time. So they make sure those Rush Virgins get their Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio in all their live glory.

• Like 1

Pretty sure they actually skipped TSOR 2nd show of CA tour. Probably the only time since 1980.

There are a few Songs Rush will never shelve.

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit Of Radio

And they should never shelve them. Everyone loves them, and they always play them with fire and energy. So even after all these decades....they still love playing them as much as we love hearing them. And I appreciate the fact they understand they are a generational band and they always have new fans seeing them for the first time. So they make sure those Rush Virgins get their Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio in all their live glory.

I definitely think it's unlikely they'd shelve it, but Spirit of Radio was definitely omitted from at least 3 shows on the CA tour:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2012/jiffy-lube-live-bristow-va-2bddb8de.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2012/consol-energy-center-pittsburgh-pa-bddad3a.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rush/2012/bankers-life-fieldhouse-indianapolis-in-43dda79b.html

I was at the tour opener and was beyond shocked that Limelight wasn't played. I thought that was another mainstay. Turns out they hardly touched it during the first bunch of shows.