Toto Debut New ‘Orphan’ Single From ‘Toto XIV’

The Cat 3

Got to say..........does nothing for me for a 1st single. very underwhelming. I played it 4 times.

hope for better, boys.

Mick

i liked it. It sounds fresh.

Orphan?

Wow!

I'm shocked! I really do love Toto but this song is TOTOL TRASH.

I understand their AOR approach but this track is beyond weak!

Sadly it is stale to my ears not fresh at all!

No wonder Simon Phillips left!!!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

Simon Phillips and Jeff Porcaro are both better drummers than Neil Peart.

Neil gave into all of that electronic shit.

It's also proven that Neil can't swing!

Why do you think he hired Freddie Gruber after he failed at the Buddy Rich Memorial Show!

You ever see him play "Cottontail?"

He struggled! Even dropped his flipping stick!

Just watch Neil struggle at the end of his nightly solo as he plays along to a big band track.

Dreadful.

He is a brilliant rock drummer.

It's too bad his shortcomings as a jazz drummer destroyed his legendary drum style and fragile ego.

JMO

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Kid! I am listening to it again! It's a catchy pop song. They lost something. It figures the band signed to Frontiers Records!

Every has been or new lame AOR band under the sun has signed onto this Italian Corporate Whore Label.

I'm not shocked by this more poppy move. The record label probably told them to go more pop than rock.

AOR WHORES! FRONTIERS RECORDS!!

Check out the website for yourself!

Has beens and no name rockers!

http://www.frontiers.it/releases/

My ratings for each album are as follows:

Toto- 9/10: Astonishingly diverse and endlessly enjoyable. Manuela Run and Angela are awesome!

Hydra 2/10: Not for me. Never liked this mess, poor mans prog and terrible AOR moments. Good playing, that is all.

Turn Back 8/10: Always loved this overlooked gem. Not a bad moment. Live For Today, I Think I Could Stand You Forever, Turn Back and English Eyes deserve to be top tier Toto songs, and this album should never have been overlooked.

Toto IV 8/10: Yes it was a mammoth blockbuster, and I really do love this. But it doesn't quite hit all the right spots for me. Make Believe and Rosanna have always been my top picks.

Isolation 9/10: Endless is my favourite Toto song, and considering this was meant to feature Kimball, Fergie Frederiksen was a superb replacement who deserved another shot with his own material. Still, I adore this album, and I am so glad Kimball didn't feature on songs such as Carmen, Lion or Stranger In Town.

Fahrenheit 10/10: Absolutely perfect, one of my all time favourite albums. I'll Be Over You and Don't Stop Me Now (with Miles Davis) are the best of the best. Joseph Williams adds a soulful, funky vibe that was a great addition to the soft rock of the majority of the songs.

The Seventh One 7.5/10: Good stuff, never really loved it as an album but, like IV, it has no filler. Stop Loving You, Stay Away and A Thousand Years are the top picks for me.

Kingdom Of Desire 6/10: Wings Of Time, The Other Side, Two Hearts, the title track and How Many Times are spectacular. The rest all bleed into a sludgy, grungy mess, sort of like Counterparts for Rush.

Tambu 10/10: As great as Fahrenheit, but missing Miles Davis. I Will Remember and Gift Of Faith are my faves.

Mindfields 3/10: No. Not for me. After You've Gone is one of my favourite Toto songs, though.

Falling In Between 7/10: Some great, some very bad. But the good easily outweighs the bad. Bottom Of Your Soul and the title track are astonishing, really grand music here.

• Like 1

Oh i will do this too.......I love ratings, lol

Toto 10/10- An Absolutely perfect album. You can tell they'd worked with Boz Scaggs. Because it's very Boz-y in places. Particularly Georgy Porgy. Hold the Line is of Course classic. With one of my fav guitar solos ever!!! Luke is already a star. But really the whole album is classic.

Hydra 4/10- The Classic sophomore slump. I like a portion of the record But after say 99 it falls to shambles. However Hydra and St George and the Dragon are 2 of my very fav Toto Tunes.

Turn Back 8/10- This is more like it!!!!!!! the most overlooked toto record (by fans i mean) Gift with a Golden Gun reminds of an Elton john Rocker from back in the day. English is a pure pop classic. I think i Could Stand you Forever is great. My Fav though is If it's the Last Night. I could and have looped this one over and over, lol Toto's lost classic

Toto IV 10/10- What's to say? Classic Pop/rock through and through not a note out of place. Africa, Rosanna, Make Believe. I Won't Hold You Back. Gems. It would also be the last album For Bobby Kimball and David Hungate. Both for a while anyway.

Isolation 3/10- This........THIS......man was a let down. This has good tunes pretty much let down by a sub-par vocalist. I do love the tunes on here. the low Rating does come From Fergie. Man i dislike him on here Immensely. Stranger in Town, Carmen, Lion, Endless. Classic stuff that was crying for a better frontman. oh and hi Mike Porcaro!!! lol.

Fahrenheit 10/10- Hello Joesph Williams!!!!!!!!! and what a comeback. Another Jewel and Williams Fits like a glove. Kimball who???? Till the End. What a great vocal debut. I could break it down but Literally ever tune is a score for the band. I'll be over you is on here........because Luke says a big F you to any other ballad writer in music, lol My Fav track is Lea. How stunning this song is. Classic album.

The Seventh One 8/10- PAMELA!!!!!!!! the Sophomore effort with mr Williams is great but not quite the knockout Fahrenheit was. It starts with the song i just mentioned and boy howdy..........eat it other pop song writers, lol Easily Josephs Signature tune with the band and AWESOME!!!!!! Stop Loving You.........Yes more please!! It has my fav Luke Ballad in Anna. Candy for the ears. The reason I don't rate this as high is songs like Only the Children and Home of the Brave sound like throw away song. Steve Porcaro would Retire from Touring after this one but would stay on the records. And Bye bye Joseph whose drug and drinking would get him fired. Shame.

Kingdom of Desire 6/10- A good album with not Enough Variety and bad production. Luke became the vocalist. Tired of auditioning outsiders i guess. He has a great voice but it doesn't really Gel here yet. not quite. There are classics here. Gypsy Train just blisters. Don't Chain my Heart. A great power ballad in 2 hearts. A great regular ballad in the Other Side. and the title track Kicks ass. But when it does not work. It's painful. She knows the Devil????????? get the f*ck outta here!!!! Mixed bag of a record. And sadly Jeff Porcaro would pass away before the tour. Making Luke and David Paitch the only 2 original members left. Remember Steve was not a full member Anymore.

Tambu 8/10- A stellar comeback and Luke finds his footing as a vocalist. And simon Phillips arrives! This is the way AOR should sound. Wonderfully written produced and performed pop/rock. I will Remember you, You Belong to me, the other end of Time and just Can't get to you are all Prime Ballads. Things get funkier to with The Turning Point, He's your Man and Drag him to the Roof. It's an 8 because I really don't enjoy Gift of Faith or Time is the Enemy but still SUCH a stellar Effort.

Mindfeilds 4/10- Why bring back Bobby Kimball? Why.....why....why........did i mention WHY!!!??? This is gonna be a short one. A fair album marred by to much content and horrid by now signature Kimball Vocals. NEXT!!!!!!

Falling In Between 9/10- A return to form. Great tunes like the Title track, Bottom of your Soul, King of the World. Just a fantastic return. Everything you'd want from Toto and more!!!!! by now Paitch was no longer a touring member. Just a recording Member like Steve. Making Luke and Kimball the only original touring members. And Mike Porcaro came down with ALS sadly.

Whew there you have it sorry for the novel.

lol

Mick

Oh i will do this too.......I love ratings, lol

Toto 10/10- An Absolutely perfect album. You can tell they'd worked with Boz Scaggs. Because it's very Boz-y in places. Particularly Georgy Porgy. Hold the Line is of Course classic. With one of my fav guitar solos ever!!! Luke is already a star. But really the whole album is classic.

Hydra 4/10- The Classic sophomore slump. I like a portion of the record But after say 99 it falls to shambles. However Hydra and St George and the Dragon are 2 of my very fav Toto Tunes.

Turn Back 8/10- This is more like it!!!!!!! the most overlooked toto record (by fans i mean) Gift with a Golden Gun reminds of an Elton john Rocker from back in the day. English is a pure pop classic. I think i Could Stand you Forever is great. My Fav though is If it's the Last Night. I could and have looped this one over and over, lol Toto's lost classic

Toto IV 10/10- What's to say? Classic Pop/rock through and through not a note out of place. Africa, Rosanna, Make Believe. I Won't Hold You Back. Gems. It would also be the last album For Bobby Kimball and David Hungate. Both for a while anyway.

Isolation 3/10- This........THIS......man was a let down. This has good tunes pretty much let down by a sub-par vocalist. I do love the tunes on here. the low Rating does come From Fergie. Man i dislike him on here Immensely. Stranger in Town, Carmen, Lion, Endless. Classic stuff that was crying for a better frontman. oh and hi Mike Porcaro!!! lol.

Fahrenheit 10/10- Hello Joesph Williams!!!!!!!!! and what a comeback. Another Jewel and Williams Fits like a glove. Kimball who???? Till the End. What a great vocal debut. I could break it down but Literally ever tune is a score for the band. I'll be over you is on here........because Luke says a big F you to any other ballad writer in music, lol My Fav track is Lea. How stunning this song is. Classic album.

The Seventh One 8/10- PAMELA!!!!!!!! the Sophomore effort with mr Williams is great but not quite the knockout Fahrenheit was. It starts with the song i just mentioned and boy howdy..........eat it other pop song writers, lol Easily Josephs Signature tune with the band and AWESOME!!!!!! Stop Loving You.........Yes more please!! It has my fav Luke Ballad in Anna. Candy for the ears. The reason I don't rate this as high is songs like Only the Children and Home of the Brave sound like throw away song. Steve Porcaro would Retire from Touring after this one but would stay on the records. And Bye bye Joseph whose drug and drinking would get him fired. Shame.

Kingdom of Desire 6/10- A good album with not Enough Variety and bad production. Luke became the vocalist. Tired of auditioning outsiders i guess. He has a great voice but it doesn't really Gel here yet. not quite. There are classics here. Gypsy Train just blisters. Don't Chain my Heart. A great power ballad in 2 hearts. A great regular ballad in the Other Side. and the title track Kicks ass. But when it does not work. It's painful. She knows the Devil????????? get the f*ck outta here!!!! Mixed bag of a record. And sadly Jeff Porcaro would pass away before the tour. Making Luke and David Paitch the only 2 original members left. Remember Steve was not a full member Anymore.

Tambu 8/10- A stellar comeback and Luke finds his footing as a vocalist. And simon Phillips arrives! This is the way AOR should sound. Wonderfully written produced and performed pop/rock. I will Remember you, You Belong to me, the other end of Time and just Can't get to you are all Prime Ballads. Things get funkier to with The Turning Point, He's your Man and Drag him to the Roof. It's an 8 because I really don't enjoy Gift of Faith or Time is the Enemy but still SUCH a stellar Effort.

Mindfeilds 4/10- Why bring back Bobby Kimball? Why.....why....why........did i mention WHY!!!??? This is gonna be a short one. A fair album marred by to much content and horrid by now signature Kimball Vocals. NEXT!!!!!!

Falling In Between 9/10- A return to form. Great tunes like the Title track, Bottom of your Soul, King of the World. Just a fantastic return. Everything you'd want from Toto and more!!!!! by now Paitch was no longer a touring member. Just a recording Member like Steve. Making Luke and Kimball the only original touring members. And Mike Porcaro came down with ALS sadly.

Whew there you have it sorry for the novel.

lol

Mick

Fergie is now one of my top AOR vocalists ever.

Without Jeff or Simon. Forget it!

Home Of The Brave.

Simon kills it!

Wait for the album dude! For goodness sake the single is typical of most first singles off a new album. The early reviews online are incredibly positive and Orphan as far as I have seen is not even a highlight.

I'm still excited for the new album.........very much. but this single. So........uninspired. And believe me i hate saying that. The hook is honestly nothing special and......i dunno.

Fingers crossed.

Mick

I honestly really like the single. They just played it safe releasing this first but all the reviews I have come across have been very good, and they went for a modern feel that surprisingly suits them, especially considering Williams voice is both ageless and timeless.

Yes, I hope for better. But even Falling In Between has its sucky moments. And Orphan is better than those.

• Like 1

I'm still excited for the new album.........very much. but this single. So........uninspired. And believe me i hate saying that. The hook is honestly nothing special and......i dunno.

Fingers crossed.

Mick

I honestly really like the single. They just played it safe releasing this first but all the reviews I have come across have been very good, and they went for a modern feel that surprisingly suits them, especially considering Williams voice is both ageless and timeless.

Yes, I hope for better. But even Falling In Between has its sucky moments. And Orphan is better than those.

I trust them. And other artists have released singles i've not liked and then loved the record........so i'm not really worried. In fact i find in music that seems to be a habit a lot. Releasing the weakest song as a single.

Mick

Fingers crossed.

Mick

I trust them. And other artists have released singles i've not liked and then loved the record........so i'm not really worried. In fact i find in music that seems to be a habit a lot. Releasing the weakest song as a single.

Mick

Depends on taste as well. Musically and lyrically, this is a very accessible song and I think it is quite lovely. I would love this to be the weakest song as I have high expectations.

But I have Idlewild and Nightwish releases on the way. I have more to look forward to the next two months than I did the entire year last year!

• Like 1

Revisitedthe song today.

Something happened to me and it clicked and now...i absolutely love it!

Top tier Toto track for me. Really excited for the album now!