Soundalike Songs

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Oct 3 2005, 03:08 PM)
Theres this audio file I have. Called "work it" by justin timberlake

And you admit it? LOL just joking. rofl3.gif

Donna has a few of his mp3. doh.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 3 2005, 12:11 PM)
"Honey Hush" from Foghat sounds just like "Train Kept a Rollin"

I forgot about that one. The verses are exactly the same. Both songs are good, too.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 3 2005, 12:29 PM)
Kool & The Gang's "Celebration" has a 'riff' in there that is exactly like Yes' "Roundabout".

Damn, you're right! The chorus from "Celebration" is the same as the verse from "Roundabout." But in this case, both songs are NOT good. I don't want to think of Kool & The Gang while listening to Yes! fists crying.gif

Another obvious one I've forgotten to mention is

The Jam - Start / The Beatles - Taxman

and is it possible to listen to the closing section of the album version of Lenny Kravitz's Let Love Rule without going "Na, na na nanananaa nanananaa Hey Juuuude"?.

I was at a Hayseed Dixie gig last week (I must write about that, sheer class), and when they kicked off their version of Green Day's 'Holiday', it sounded just like Iggy Pop's 'The Passenger'.

You guys forgot the biggest sound-alike songs in history. LaBamba and Twist & Shout.

They are almost note for note the same song just done in a different key. I might even be wrong about being in a different key.

Edited to add:

Billy Gilman's "One Voice & Default's "Wasting My Time". The main melodies are identical.

Also there is a Country song I don't remember Who the band is but the chorus goes. Every little thing that you do Baby I'm Amazed by you. That song is also almost identical to Bryan Adams "Please Forgive me. They are the same in the verses.

Nickelback did it to themselves too. With "How you remind me" & "Someday".

I know there are more I'll post em as I think of them.

Edited by Modest Man From Mandrake

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Oct 4 2005, 01:43 AM)
Also there is a Country song I don't remember Who the band is but the chorus goes. Every little thing that you do Baby I'm Amazed by you.

I think they're called Lonestar

Good call on Twist and Shout/ La Bamba

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Oct 4 2005, 08:38 PM)
QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Oct 4 2005, 01:43 AM)
Also there is a Country song I don't remember Who the band is but the chorus goes. Every little thing that you do Baby I'm Amazed by you.

I think they're called Lonestar

yes.gif

I felt compelled to dig this thread out of the grave, because we were out at dinner last night and heard the Killers' All These Things That I've Done playing, and it is a blatant theft of the Beatles' Two of Us. Took me a few minutes to figure it out as it played, but it finally clicked. We played both songs back to back this morning, and it was still quite apparent.

Speaking of Beatles ripoffs, the song "Look What You've Done" by Jet has the exact same introduction as "Golden Slumbers" off Abbey Road. Its such a disappointment whenever that song comes on the radio, I think I'm gonna get a rare Beatles track, but instead I get that one.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Apr 8 2006, 10:05 PM)
Speaking of Beatles ripoffs, the song "Look What You've Done" by Jet has the exact same introduction as "Golden Slumbers" off Abbey Road. Its such a disappointment whenever that song comes on the radio, I think I'm gonna get a rare Beatles track, but instead I get that one.

A few years ago, my wife played a recent Elvis Costello album and there was a part that was lifted from the Beatles' You Never Give Me Your Money. It was the "1,2,3,4,5,6,7 all young ??? should go to heaven" part. I can't remember the name of the song Costello did that lifted from that.

QUOTE (Clark3934 @ Oct 4 2005, 07:21 PM)
Xanadu and Sweet Child O' Mine.

Nah...Xanadu is in 7...maybe the first part of the riff sounds sort of the same, but it's not in the same league as some of the songs mentioned on here...

In a strange twist of fate for Rush/GNR similarities, look at the main riff for T4E...not the "video vertigo part" but the "some kind of trouble on the sensory screen" part, and then look at the main riff to Civil War. Almost identical.

on a more obscure note...

The intro guitar riff of Ozric Tentacles "Myriapod" has always sounded to me very similar to that of Megadeths "Holy Wars".

I consider that its more of a coincidence musically, rather than a ripoff.

blink 182 "adams song" sounds EXECTLY like van der graaf generator "scorched earth".

pharoah sanders"the creator has a masterplan" sounds like john coltrane"acknowladgment"

Sampling is stealing. Period. That would be no different than writing a book and sticking pages from another author's book into your book and calling it original. That's not art, in my opinion, it's highway robbery. Why can't they at least try to re-record what the original artist did. That way, at least they worked a little bit for it, even though they're still stealing?!

My new band covered "push it" by salt n pepa, but at least we're buying the rights to it, legally so we can publish it.

Here come the arguments...

1287.gif

-"Summer Breeze" by Seals And Crofts and "Purple Haze" by Jimi Hendrix.

Musically, the riff is kind of similar; lyrically, the verses are completely interchangeable.

"Summer breeze, makes me feel fine... flowin' through the jasmines in my mind."

"Purple haze, all in my brain... lately things just don't seem the same."

-"Jumpin' Jack Flash" by The Rolling Stones and "Big Bang Baby" by Stone Temple Pilots.

These are more similar lyrically than anything else.

Exactly alike:

the opening guitar thing from Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance" and

the opening guitar thing from the Jayhawks' "Blue"

The Jayhawks were first; Petty came later.

And how about:

"Heartbreaker" by Led Zeppelin and

"What You're Doing" by Rush

Edited by GeddyRulz

Don't burn me in hell, just heard ABBA's Gimme Gimme Gimme at the first I thought "Hey Test for Echo don't sound like that, what is it?".

Can someone confirm that or am I going crazy?

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Apr 8 2006, 11:05 PM)

Golden Slumbers? How 'bout Sexy Sadie!