Geddy to appear on That Metal Show (again) Feb. 21st

The Analog Cub

I'm gonna sit in my sad little corner and sob pathetically. (*On a side note, I am glad to hear that the Icon show seems good.)

:( ... :hug2:

Anyone notice on Icons that Geddy mentions "World Tour" after the year off to the Blue Jays manager? That was likely last baseball season, but still....

2:30...Geddy explains the process of shoe-horning lyrics.

:D

3:30 To Petrucci: What's the one RUSH go-to album for guitartists. His answer...

:rush:

around 6:00 he talks about Alex's HOF speech. Pretty funny.

Is it just me that likes that ESL is polished? :/

Yes.

My friend played it for me the day of release. A huge fan of ATWAS, I was confused. I remember wondering what the point of the collection was. It struck me as very un-live, like they just played the albums through various concert hall systems and recorded them remotely.

It's not just me, spud. :)

Totally raw live albums (of which Rush has none) aren't really albums. They're bootlegs, touched up to varying degrees by engineers and the bands themselves.

I can't stand raw unmixed recordings. If you want raw live, you go in person.

That said, I still think Rush's best live release is R30. And I was a huge fan of ESL for 20 years previous.

Yes.

My friend played it for me the day of release. A huge fan of ATWAS, I was confused. I remember wondering what the point of the collection was. It struck me as very un-live, like they just played the albums through various concert hall systems and recorded them remotely.

Totally raw live albums (of which Rush has none) aren't really albums. They're bootlegs, touched up to varying degrees by engineers and the bands themselves.

That said, I still think Rush's best live release is R30. And I was a huge fan of ESL for 20 years previous.

I like Different Stages, for the sheer range of material. the Hammersmith bonus disc is epic.
  • Like 2

Yes.

I like Different Stages, for the sheer range of material. the Hammersmith bonus disc is epic.

Love that bonus disc!! Has a great sound like ATWAS. :D

• Like 3

Found the YouTube link

http://youtu.be/RXjFqSoOeNg

That was so painful to watch. As usual with the show, the guest (in this case, Geddy) is trying to talk and seems visibly irritated cause Eddie won't shut the f**k up for 5 seconds. And of course he got lost after Signals :facepalm:

Very interesting rankings from Geddy towards the bottom. I saw MP-PeW-2112-Hemi coming, but was unsure about the rest. Ranking the debut after Signals!? The one question I would have asked is why the lower ranking of Signals...I can understand his answer on Fly By Night, but IMO By-Tor is better than all of Caress of Steel. Don't have much of an opinion on his live choice. I could have seen him go either way, ESL cause of the catalog or ATWAS cause ESL is an overproduced mess.

Clockwork Oranges :LOL:

Edited by BowlCity

Well, Geddy did quickly mention that the "transitional" records didn't age as well for him...mainly due to the songwriting, he said. That's why FBN ended up so low. I'd guess that's also the case for "Signals."

The debut album does represent the culmination of the "bar years," so from Geddy's perspective, that album's material was probably pretty mature.

• Like 1

Asked to rank a selection of albums:

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

Rush

A Farewell to Kings

Signals

Caress of Steel

Fly By Night

He explained that it's based on songwriting. Fly By night is lowest because it was transitional, Neil was new to the band, everything felt new and inexperienced, so he ranked that lowest among the preselected batch of albums.

They played a copy of the forthcoming 2112 vinyl reissue, that has star holograms etched into the platter. Host said, "Comes with rolling papers too, I bet" :smoke:

F**k it. AFTK's is still number 1 no matter what he says.... :codger:

Yeah, what does he know anyway? LOL.

Pretty sure AFTK was ahead of the debut, but still surprising that he put it that high. Not that I'm complaining, I think it's underrated.

• Like 1

So the band has right now a 5 hours set-list that would go down in April. There will be some favorites songs, and some that they didn't play for a while. There won't be anymore big tours for a while... They always talk about writing, which is a good thing. And with no surprise MP and PW are favorites to Geddy and FBN is least favorites. I was a little bit shocked to see that he put the first album over Signals...
  • Like 1

https://www.youtube....h?v=RXjFqSoOeNg

who are these insufferable douchebags interviewing him?

Petrucci playing 'metal' guitar....typical weee, weee,weeee...did I just walk into Guitar Center?

Last 20 minutes are the interviewers yapping incessantly...why did they bother bringing Geddy there? :rage:

Turrrible, turrrible interview.

you're welcome.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

Petrucci playing 'metal' guitar....typical weee, weee,weeee...did I just walk into Guitar Center?

Last 20 minutes are the interviewers yapping incessantly...why did they bother bringing Geddy there? :rage:

you're welcome.

You seriously don't know??

The outtakes, especially section 1, but also 2-4, were almost better than the show. A very interesting anecdote I didn't know about the lyrics for the first album.

Of course, he may just be saying that because it would excuse their quality.

• Like 1

you're welcome.

No I don't, nor do I care after watching that. The 'hosts' were self-absorbed douchebags only interested in spewing out their own ill-informed opinions. The last 20 minutes, Geddy sat smiling politely and wondering why he was here. These ass clowns couldn't get 'clockwork orange' correct and had trouble naming all studio albums.

Here's a tip for interviewers...ask the question, shut up and listen, rinse and repeat.

you're welcome.

No I don't, nor do I care after watching that. The 'hosts' were self-absorbed douchebags only interested in spewing out their own ill-informed opinions. The last 20 minutes, Geddy sat smiling politely and wondering why he was here. These ass clowns couldn't get 'clockwork orange' correct and had trouble naming all studio albums.

Here's a tip for interviewers...ask the question, shut up and listen, rinse and repeat.

You're discovering all of the bad things that That Metal Show is. It was slightly better when Ged and Alex both went on back in '08. At least Eddie was outnumbered by 2 people and didn't have his bumbling friends with him.

Petrucci's a great guitarist, but all he was doing was middle-of-Guitar-Center-store wankery. Waste of his talent.

• Like 1

you're welcome.

Sorry, I don't recall thanking you. I disagree with all of your points.

I thought Petrucci was cool -- he was there as the musical director and as a huge Rush fan.

• Like 3

I thought it strange to see Joe Elliot of Def Leppard. He wasn't even on more than like five minutes. The audience didn't even seem to care.

I thought it strange to see Joe Elliot of Def Leppard. He wasn't even on more than like five minutes. The audience didn't even seem to care.

I missed that bit, what all did he talk about? I'm going to try and get tickets to see the Lep, Styx, and Tesla at the Iowa State Fair this summer.

• Like 2

I missed that bit, what all did he talk about? I'm going to try and get tickets to see the Lep, Styx, and Tesla at the Iowa State Fair this summer.

He was on the segment for top 5 British hard rock and metal acts of the 70s. Picked Mott the Hoople #1.