The end of Guitar Center

CygnusX-1Bk2

There was another one in town that's been closed for a while now that used to have some $3000 or $4000 PRS's way up high where you couldn't reach them. All the good stuff was up high!

That's because the teenywankers would be more likely to scratch and dent them than someone who was seriously interested in buying.

True GC Story: A few years ago, I was looking to get my daughter her first legit, high dollar electric. She wanted a Strat. I wasn't necessarily into that, but that was her call. Looking around, finally found a high end vintage series that I liked at GC. Went in there one afternoon to look at it, but the kid didn't want to let me look at it... kept steering me to the cheaper, foreign made versions. Finally I realized he either thought I wasn't serious or couldn't afford it.... so I had to be forceful and, say, "No. That one".... pointing to the $2K sunburst vintage model up top. The kid actually gave me the ojo and I gave it right back to him (I wanted to say, "Listen kid, I make more in a day than you make in a month" but I didn't. I behaved... for once.). I eventually got to look at the guitar and then walked away. Again, I found a better deal for the same guitar on line. Had the kid not been such a pretentious prick, I would have bought it from GC.

I've never run into that kind of thing when I've been in a GC but I've heard other people have stories similar to yours.

we have a Sam Ash and a GC within 10 minutes of us. GC is nicer whereas SA reminds me of a KMart though I hate shopping at both. We have a smaller chain called George's Music nearby also and they carry a smaller selection of Taylors and Martins (among a few others) and the service is great. but what I wouldn't give for a great used/vintage shop.

My boss and I talk about opening a shop like this...dreams I'll never see. :LOL:

There was another one in town that's been closed for a while now that used to have some $3000 or $4000 PRS's way up high where you couldn't reach them. All the good stuff was up high!

That's because the teenywankers would be more likely to scratch and dent them than someone who was seriously interested in buying.

True GC Story: A few years ago, I was looking to get my daughter her first legit, high dollar electric. She wanted a Strat. I wasn't necessarily into that, but that was her call. Looking around, finally found a high end vintage series that I liked at GC. Went in there one afternoon to look at it, but the kid didn't want to let me look at it... kept steering me to the cheaper, foreign made versions. Finally I realized he either thought I wasn't serious or couldn't afford it.... so I had to be forceful and, say, "No. That one".... pointing to the $2K sunburst vintage model up top. The kid actually gave me the ojo and I gave it right back to him (I wanted to say, "Listen kid, I make more in a day than you make in a month" but I didn't. I behaved... for once.). I eventually got to look at the guitar and then walked away. Again, I found a better deal for the same guitar on line. Had the kid not been such a pretentious prick, I would have bought it from GC.

It's obvious that you were messing with his chosen toy that he played with while on break.

• Like 1