Do you look at the setlist before your show?

Lost In Xanadu

I look at a packet of cigarillos with the names and phone numbers of the hot girls I just pestered on the way in... :smoke:

Am I evil?? :givebeer:

You're plenty evil, but not for that reason :16ton:

I can say I will look at the set list. I have ever since the explosiosive expansion of the information age. I actually in my old age like knowing what to be prepared for. I do however love the concept my 3 friends have come up with, which is the A-B set list format! this adds the optimum excitement for a 51yr olds(tomorrow, thanks in advance for another day) life... Bieng un able to gallop across the galaxy (which I may add is a game for the young) and be able to see shows with each of the set list. Generates a certian amount of excitement even in knowing there is unknowing. I would be happy hearing any song they play live including the complete oddities such as the likes of Rivendell or Tai Shan. I know what a CRAZY thought!!!, but I have such respect for these guys it wouldn't matter. I would literally faint if I heard tracks off COS like "The Valley" or "The Necromancer" or even "I think I'm Giong Bald" which would be (impo) the perfect metaphor of the band & how they crawled out of the ashes of what looked like certian doom for them in the wee early days to become the old legendary rockin farts they are today!!!! I Love This Band!!! I'll se Y'all in Tampa.

Be safe O;-P

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 2

During the break I took from Rush, in the second half of the '90s and the 2000s, I was going to see lots of improvisational bands that don't play the same set list twice. And the whole notion of an A and a B set list, where the variation is only a couple of songs, is kind of foreign to me.

I don't care if Rush doesn't vary the set list much at all, over the course of a tour. I'm happy with whatever they want to do.

But to my earlier point- I saw the Black Crowes more than four dozen times, over a 17-year period, and I never saw the same set list twice. There were some times, around 1996-'97, when you could go to three consecutive shows, maybe 55 songs in all, and there would only be a handful of songs that you saw performed twice, let alone three times.

Different environments, though; just a different experience altogether.

I'm in, for as long as Rush wants to keep on giving it to us. And whether I see the set lists ahead of time or not, I'll dig it all the same.

The Black Crowes are one of the best live experiences I've ever had. I them open for Petty and they were amazing.

I can say I will look at the set list. I have ever since the explosiosive expansion of the information age. I actually in my old age like knowing what to be prepared for. I do however love the concept my 3 friends have come up with, which is the A-B set list format! this adds the optimum excitement for a 51yr olds(tomorrow, thanks in advance for another day) life... Bieng un able to gallop across the galaxy (which I may add is a game for the young) and be able to see shows with each of the set list. Generates a certian amount of excitement even in knowing there is unknowing. I would be happy hearing any song they play live including the complete oddities such as the likes of Rivendell or Tai Shan. I know what a CRAZY thought!!!, but I have such respect for these guys it wouldn't matter. I would literally faint if I heard tracks off COS like "The Valley" or "The Necromancer" or even "I think I'm Giong Bald" which would be (impo) the perfect metaphor of the band & how they crawled out of the ashes of what looked like certian doom for them in the wee early days to become the old legendary rockin farts they are today!!!! I Love This Band!!! I'll se Y'all in Tampa.

Be safe O;-P

Very well said. :)

I can't believe you people, reading the setlist as it happens is nothing compared to hearing a song start that you were in no way expecting, and there should be no beer breaks for Rush, especially if this is the last big tour. SOAK IT IN. I avoid spoilers at all costs, because when I first saw them on the Time Machine tour, on the second leg, I knew the setlist (because they were not playing near me for the first leg), and it took away a lot of the excitement, knowing exactly what would be played next. It was not until my next show in Winnipeg that I was completely surprised and had my mind blown by the mass of Power Windows songs. It feels so good.

I can understand if you have a long wait, its tough to resist spoilers, but most of you should be able to buck up, and wait, its totally worth it.

DISCLAIMER: I am going to the third show this tour, so my views may be a bit biased since I don't have a long wait once the list is revealed. I think I can avoid the internet for 4 days.

That works out well when you know they'll be playing the stuff you like. Imagine if you went in not knowing the setlist and then 90% of what they played was from the first 6 albums. I think you'd be a bit disappointed. After that happens couple of times you might find yourself checking the setlist ahead of time to avoid being let down, if for no other reason. That said, I've decided to go to the opener this tour, and it will be my first time not knowing the setlist since probably the Hold Your Fire tour. I'm trying not to have any expectations and avoid getting my hopes up that they really WILL be "jammin' to the oldies", as Neil put it..

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre

The Black Crowes are one of the best live experiences I've ever had. I them open for Petty and they were amazing.

Let me take a wild guess at this...did you see that show in Reno, or Marysville (Yuba City)? I have a recording of the Marysville show- let me know if you'd like to have it.

• Like 1

I can't believe you people, reading the setlist as it happens is nothing compared to hearing a song start that you were in no way expecting, and there should be no beer breaks for Rush, especially if this is the last big tour. SOAK IT IN. I avoid spoilers at all costs, because when I first saw them on the Time Machine tour, on the second leg, I knew the setlist (because they were not playing near me for the first leg), and it took away a lot of the excitement, knowing exactly what would be played next. It was not until my next show in Winnipeg that I was completely surprised and had my mind blown by the mass of Power Windows songs. It feels so good.

I can understand if you have a long wait, its tough to resist spoilers, but most of you should be able to buck up, and wait, its totally worth it.

DISCLAIMER: I am going to the third show this tour, so my views may be a bit biased since I don't have a long wait once the list is revealed. I think I can avoid the internet for 4 days.

That works out well when you know they'll be playing the stuff you like. Imagine if you went in not knowing the setlist and then 90% of what they played was from the first 6 albums. I think you'd be a bit disappointed.

I have a feeling most fans would be ecstatic at this, and we might get a lot more excitement from the casuals. The energy on the CA tour first setlist was remarkably low for Rush concerts, which I believe is due to the reliance on the synth material.

Having said that, you're reasoning is right. If I showed up to the CA tour and not known what the setlist was, I would have been very, very disappointed. With time to prepare, I got more excited for songs I didn't like as much, and had an appreciation for the songs that they did play.

That works out well when you know they'll be playing the stuff you like. Imagine if you went in not knowing the setlist and then 90% of what they played was from the first 6 albums. I think you'd be a bit disappointed.

I have a feeling most fans would be ecstatic at this, and we might get a lot more excitement from the casuals. The energy on the CA tour first setlist was remarkably low for Rush concerts, which I believe is due to the reliance on the synth material.

Having said that, you're reasoning is right. If I showed up to the CA tour and not known what the setlist was, I would have been very, very disappointed. With time to prepare, I got more excited for songs I didn't like as much, and had an appreciation for the songs that they did play.

I do think it's fair to check a band's setlist before seeing them if you are not a huge fan and want to ensure our money's worth, but that's not the case for Rush show and the people on here.

The ticket prices are too high for me not to check the setlist before buying now. I was so disappointed with the Snakes and Time Machine setlists that I said I wasn't going to go to any more Rush shows if they didn't vary up the setlist a lot. Fortunately they did and I saw the CA tour twice. I am worried that this tour's setlist is going to be back to the tried and true so unless I score primo seats today when my show goes to public onsale in 10 minutes, I am going to wait until the setlist comes out.

NEVER.

Especially when it comes to Rush...I like to be fully surprised. To me, the experience is so much better!

I'll never understand why people check them...especially if you are already planning to go regardless / have tickets in hand.

I definitely try not to look, but I do understand why people do. Same reason some people find out the sex of a baby during an ultrasound... helps to plan. While I try not to, there have been times that I have looked and I was glad I did, due to reasons LED has mentioned like learning songs you might not be super familiar with. I think at this point, I am familiar with their whole catalog enough to not look at all.

I really hope there is a minimal setlist and they do whatever the heck they want from night to night. I know with their production, that is very unlikely. Looking forward to this being their last tour "of this magnitude" because maybe future shows may be a little more free form.

NEVER.

Especially when it comes to Rush...I like to be fully surprised. To me, the experience is so much better!

I'll never understand why people check them...especially if you are already planning to go regardless / have tickets in hand.

I definitely try not to look, but I do understand why people do. Same reason some people find out the sex of a baby during an ultrasound... helps to plan. While I try not to, there have been times that I have looked and I was glad I did, due to reasons LED has mentioned like learning songs you might not be super familiar with. I think at this point, I am familiar with their whole catalog enough to not look at all.

I really hope there is a minimal setlist and they do whatever the heck they want from night to night. I know with their production, that is very unlikely. Looking forward to this being their last tour "of this magnitude" because maybe future shows may be a little more free form.

Oh, I agree.

Oh, and yes...I know I've heard it here many times before...that people "plan their beer / bathroom breaks" accordingly.

I guess I can't really comprehend that ideology, since I'm there bell-to-bell. Even intermissions...I try to be quick so I don't miss even a second of the videos and such. Then again, I consider myself a fan of all of their songs, so nothing is "bathroom material" to me.

Plus...when you account for how much money you spend (especially this tour)...I need to get my absolute money's worth. :cool:

• Like 1

NEVER.

Oh, I agree.

Oh, and yes...I know I've heard it here many times before...that people "plan their beer / bathroom breaks" accordingly.

I guess I can't really comprehend that ideology, since I'm there bell-to-bell. Even intermissions...I try to be quick so I don't miss even a second of the videos and such. Then again, I consider myself a fan of all of their songs, so nothing is "bathroom material" to me.

Plus...when you account for how much money you spend (especially this tour)...I need to get my absolute money's worth. :cool:

Me too. I drank way too much right out of college (rarely drink at all anymore), and saw them with a bunch of friends. After the concert, I said... "I really wished they played Limelight!" my friend said "they did, you drunk idiot!" Now with ticket prices so much higher (and not $22 like it was for that concert) I feel it would be a crime to get that drunk as not to remember it. Plus, I like.. or can enjoy... pretty much everything they play so I don't miss anything

NEVER.

Oh, I agree.

Me too. I drank way too much right out of college (rarely drink at all anymore), and saw them with a bunch of friends. After the concert, I said... "I really wished they played Limelight!" my friend said "they did, you drunk idiot!" Now with ticket prices so much higher (and not $22 like it was for that concert) I feel it would be a crime to get that drunk as not to remember it. Plus, I like.. or can enjoy... pretty much everything they play so I don't miss anything

What if you had the choice of one or two venues and you know that it is highly likely they are doing the Setlist A and Setlist B thing? If I realized that I had to sit through Territories AND Middletown Dreams and I missed Manhattan Project, I would have killed someone.

Will not look. Fortunately, I'm going to the third show so I won't have to avoid this place too long.

I'll be there too.

When I get there and see a guy in a Dolphins jacket, I'm going to yell out the setlist at him.

• Like 1