Do you look at the setlist before your show?

Lost In Xanadu

During the break I took from Rush, in the second half of the '90s and the 2000s, I was going to see lots of improvisational bands that don't play the same set list twice. And the whole notion of an A and a B set list, where the variation is only a couple of songs, is kind of foreign to me.

I don't care if Rush doesn't vary the set list much at all, over the course of a tour. I'm happy with whatever they want to do.

But to my earlier point- I saw the Black Crowes more than four dozen times, over a 17-year period, and I never saw the same set list twice. There were some times, around 1996-'97, when you could go to three consecutive shows, maybe 55 songs in all, and there would only be a handful of songs that you saw performed twice, let alone three times.

Different environments, though; just a different experience altogether.

I'm in, for as long as Rush wants to keep on giving it to us. And whether I see the set lists ahead of time or not, I'll dig it all the same.

The Black Crowes are one of the best live experiences I've ever had. I them open for Petty and they were amazing.

Agree. Saw the Black Crowes open for ZZ Top, circa—90-91?? Ish....awesome...

Without a doubt I will! One of the most exciting nights for CA was sitting at my PC the night of the first with various forums open watchibgvtv everybody unfold song by song. After a song was announced, I would go to YouTube, find a version of the song, convert the file to a downloadable and burnable format (I had just gotten a Smartphone and didn't know how to utilize it for this situation), and then save the file to a folder on PC. By the end of the show, I had setlist on CD!

I thought it was an exciting evening. This year I plan on doing the same thing but using my phone.

I didn't read all the post cause I know from previous tours & posts that most don't want to know & also claim is detracts from the experience.

I'm just the opposite,

I think it ADD's to the experience :dweez:

I make a custom print out & laminate it to bring with me to the show

I have a custom ticket holder lanyard type thing I wear & it holds set list too

Also make copies cause so many people want to see the set list in advance before & during the show.

Like DT, I also make a CD playlist too.

But now that I have a "smart" phone I might join DT & just put everything I need in the phone

Knowing & planing to "hear" certain songs only, like I said, ADD's to my overall pre-concert & concert experience. So much so that I have done this for most all the 100's of Rock concerts I have seen in the last 10 years. Basically since set lists started showing up on the internet....

Went to STYX a week ago without a set list & felt lost :|

I can't wait to see the set list & hoping there with be a "A" & "B" alternating versions cause I'm gonna see 3 shows & 2 are back-to-back

I will get all RUSH has to give this tour including the Last Show in L.A. :clap:

:)

• Like 1

I have always looked at the setlist in advance...since they have become available online.

For me it adds to the experience knowing what songs are going to be played and in what order.

However, since this may be my last opportunity, I'm going to test my willpower and not look.

It's been so long since I've known in advance, that maybe not knowing will be fun too. :)

Not only do i look at it but I make a playlist for my car so my kids know every song prior to the show! It really does enhance the experience if you know every song!

:codger:

Losinit, I did the same thing for my son for CA. I knew it was heavy on the 80s, so I played it for months leading up to show even though he didn't know he was going until the day of.

I've been to TM and CA tours, and from what I can remember, for one tour I looked at the entire setlist beforehand, and the other I only looked at the first half before intermission.

I remember the second half of that second case being extremely exciting... not knowing what was coming up next!

Assuming I go to this tour, I think I'll muster the discipline to not take a single peak. I'm sure it would be well rewarded come show night.

• Like 1

I've got tickets for the KC show 2 months into the tour, so yeah, I gotta peek at the set. I have such an anticipation for Rush's set list unlike any other band. Of the 8 tours I've seen them on, I've only been mildly disappointed once with the set, but it was a lot easier for me since I knew what I wasn't going to hear. I don't really plan on being disappointed this time around either (except this will probably be the last time they'll be in my neck of the woods), but I just have to see. It's just too damn exciting.

The "yes" people baffle me. How could you not want to be surprised??? Especially for a band that for the most part, keeps the same setlist throughout a tour? I don't get it. It's like sneaking into the closet in the spare room a month before X-mas to see what your presents are...what's the fun in that??? :huh:
  • Like 2

For me, the set list is what determines for me as to how much I am going to spend for a ticket. Not that interesting of a set list means cheaper balcony seats. I've seen RUSH 61 times since 1982 and i'm hoping that this set list will be "lower bowl" worthy (as many in the past have).

Without a doubt I will! One of the most exciting nights for CA was sitting at my PC the night of the first with various forums open watchibgvtv everybody unfold song by song. After a song was announced, I would go to YouTube, find a version of the song, convert the file to a downloadable and burnable format (I had just gotten a Smartphone and didn't know how to utilize it for this situation), and then save the file to a folder on PC. By the end of the show, I had setlist on CD!

I thought it was an exciting evening. This year I plan on doing the same thing but using my phone.

I didn't read all the post cause I know from previous tours & posts that most don't want to know & also claim is detracts from the experience.

I'm just the opposite,

I think it ADD's to the experience :dweez:

I make a custom print out & laminate it to bring with me to the show

I have a custom ticket holder lanyard type thing I wear & it holds set list too

Also make copies cause so many people want to see the set list in advance before & during the show.

Like DT, I also make a CD playlist too.

But now that I have a "smart" phone I might join DT & just put everything I need in the phone

Knowing & planing to "hear" certain songs only, like I said, ADD's to my overall pre-concert & concert experience. So much so that I have done this for most all the 100's of Rock concerts I have seen in the last 10 years. Basically since set lists started showing up on the internet....

Went to STYX a week ago without a set list & felt lost :|

I can't wait to see the set list & hoping there with be a "A" & "B" alternating versions cause I'm gonna see 3 shows & 2 are back-to-back

I will get all RUSH has to give this tour including the Last Show in L.A. :clap:

I agree with a lot of this. I like to know what's coming. And according to science it looks like people might actually like spoilers better! (I have no idea how readily one could transfer that study from stories to setlists, but my tongue is also firmly in my cheek as I post it :) )

Yes, I'm a Yes man on this :yes:

One of the 1st things I used internet for was to find set list for the groups I was going to see

That was part of the "Pre" Excitement phase of the concert :dweez:

But, I also liked going early or even the night before & camp out in the ticket line when tickets were sold that way back in the 1900's

You would be there with all the people who love that particular group the most ! ALL the diehard fans would be early,

We would play their music & talk about previous shows, WHAT-A-BLAST !

Again, "Pre" concert excitement phase :dweez:

• Like 1

Yes, I'm a Yes man on this :yes:

One of the 1st things I used internet for was to find set list for the groups I was going to see

That was part of the "Pre" Excitement phase of the concert :dweez:

But, I also liked going early or even the night before & camp out in the ticket line when tickets were sold that way back in the 1900's

You would be there with all the people who love that particular group the most ! ALL the diehard fans would be early,

We would play their music & talk about previous shows, WHAT-A-BLAST !

Again, "Pre" concert excitement phase :dweez:

Amen!

I say out all night at a North Canton Ohio mall in late November with a little bit of snow coming down for the HYF tour. Back then, I was really an introvert, so I had to force myself to be friendly but it was a great coming out of a shell life lesson. People were great. My buddy came down around 1am and sat with me for a bit. The people in line around me were just awesome.

What a great experience.....

Time it was oh what a time it was....

Edited by dtpoet

It's hard not to check the setlist in this internet day and age. :)

I'm in TOTAL agreement with this...I had to wait about a month between the beginning of the CA tour and my first date of the fall leg (Bridgeport). I was able to stay away from the message board and other fan sites. The only snafu was the RUSH Facebook page posting a picture of the bottom of the setlist, revealing Tom Sawyer/2112. This time around, it's EXACTLY one month between the first show, and my first of the tour (Columbus). So, aside from any FB "setlist malfunctions" on the part of the official RUSH page, I should be able to last a month. It's just so much more fun to be surprised.

At least with a band like Metallica...they do 18 songs in just over 2 hours. 9 of the songs usually get played every night (Sandman, Sad But True, Master, One, Nothing Else Matters, Seek and Destroy, Creeping Death, a couple others...) but then the other 9 get changed up every show. They keep you guessing. Other bands change it up even more. But with a band like RUSH who keeps it mostly the same, it takes some serious patience and willpower to not look. I SHALL NOT LOOK!!! :D

Back when I attended shows in 1979 and early 1980s, before the age of he Internet, it was so incredibly cool to anticipate what songs they would be playing before the concert and during the concert ("I wonder what song they will play next!?") or what song they would open with. Now it is hard to avoid hearing about what songs they are playing on the tour given online media and I have to say, for me, I probably like not knowing and instead, enjoying the anticipation and excitement before the show and during the concert of what they will play - part of the experience for me. Looking forward to this tour and seeing them in Philadelphia. Seen them at least once every tour since Summer of 1979, Partial Tour of the Hemispheres, Comiskey Park in Chicago, Jam II. Great band, always terrific concerts, great albums through the years, big part of my life.

So because Ive really only been a Rush fan since 2011, so I haven't had time to memorize all the words in all the songs on all the albums, even do the guitar noises for the lyric less songs ( sorry can't think of the technical word) and the drum parts ok sorry! So ya I look at the set list and make a version of it without the solos and stuff obviously, and listen to it not stop so I'm not that one guy that doesn't know the words.

So because Ive really only been a Rush fan since 2011, so I haven't had time to memorize all the words in all the songs on all the albums, .

Funny.... :LMAO:

Been a fan since forever & I know just about every song inside & out, especially the 1st 20 yrs.

But I happened to play Beneath Between & Behind on You-tube with the lyric's

I think I must have memorized my own set of lyrics to fit this song, Cause at least 50% didn't match what Neil wrote :facepalm:

• Like 1

I'll be out of here and all social media between the first show and the St Paul show, so I don't know the setlist. Fortunately, that's only four days, but not knowing is half the fun.

My two shows on this tour are one early one and one later one, so I kind of get the best of both worlds.....the early show I get to be surprised (as long as I stay off internet for that first week) and then the later show I can get into the flow of the setlist!