No Satellite Kit for Neil This Tour

kevind2112

I saw this posted over on Facebook. Love the cowbells. :)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/RHPICS/IMG_8281_zpsrqxwqaq3.jpg

• Like 1

I'm bummed, not because it's not rotating, that's just for show, but because there will probably be no electronic solo (my favorite kind of solo), and there is less of a chance we will hear electronic kit songs. I really wanted to hear The Weapon, and Mystic Rhythms. I suppose it could still happen, but then again, without the dedicated kit, maybe it won't. I don't know the full logistics.

The Weapon was never played on the Satellite kit. Even though there are electronics in the song, it was played on the main kit on the Grace Under Pressure tour. Witch Hunt was played on the satellite kit, but it could still be managed very easily on the main kit. So if you are hoping for the Fear Trilogy (Quadrilogy?) it could still happen. And yes, I'm hoping we'll see that as well!

Mystic Rhythms could still technically be played on the main kit as long as there is access to the proper sounds via pads (which judging by that photo he does) but I still wouldn't expect to hear it this time around.

• Like 1

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/RHPICS/IMG_8281_zpsrqxwqaq3.jpg

I'm drooling, over here.

Why only one bass drum AGAIN?

Because one bass drum with a double pedal is the way to go. Tuning, mic'ing, positioning of other drums, everything is much easier with one bass drum. While the double bass drum setup "looks" cool, there hasn't been a practical reason to use that kind of setup in decades, especially with the increase in quality of double bass pedals.

• Like 2

Because one bass drum with a double pedal is the way to go. Tuning, mic'ing, positioning of other drums, everything is much easier with one bass drum. While the double bass drum setup "looks" cool, there hasn't been a practical reason to use that kind of setup in decades, especially with the increase in quality of double bass pedals.

There's something about two bass drums that just makes a drum kit look complete.

• Like 1

Is that a photo of the kit for this tour?

Yes.

• Like 1

There's something about two bass drums that just makes a drum kit look complete.

I absolutely agree that a double bass kit "looks" a lot cooler. But trust me, as a drummer, using an actual double bass setup is a pain in the butt! :)

• Like 1

I absolutely agree that a double bass kit "looks" a lot cooler. But trust me, as a drummer, using an actual double bass setup is a pain in the butt! :)

And there are so many more interesting things your foot can be doing. :)

I wonder if he'll have two set-ups side by side, one for regular drums (with chimes,bells and other pre-Signals hardwear),and the other for his electronic Drums??? Edited by BlairC45

I wounder if he'll have to set ups side by side one for for regular drums (with chimes,bells and other pre-Signals hardwear),and the other for his electronic Drums???

I gathered from what Lorne Wheaton said that there will be few if any electronic drums at all this tour.

• Like 1

I wounder if he'll have to set ups side by side one for for regular drums (with chimes,bells and other pre-Signals hardwear),and the other for his electronic Drums???

I gathered from what Lorne Wheaton said that there will be few if any electronic drums at all this tour.

Judging by that overview of his kit, it looks to have 4 electronic pads, plus the Kat controller. I'm sure there is a foot pedal trigger as well. Plenty of electronics for what he'll need for this tour.

Judging by that overview of his kit, it looks to have 4 electronic pads, plus the Kat controller. I'm sure there is a foot pedal trigger as well. Plenty of electronics for what he'll need for this tour.

But we don't really KNOW what he'll need for this tour. :D

But we don't really KNOW what he'll need for this tour. :D

True, true.... :)

The riser looks like the same size as previous tours, not enough my space to accommodate any additional percussion instruments IMHO. I think Neil's going to finish his RUSH career BUDDY RICH STYLE.

Shut yo mouth! ;)

What he ought to do is stop this "no satellite kit" BS and bring back the old Simmons SDSV hexagon pads.

The Simmons pads were hell on elbows! They need to stay in the archives. V-drums (which he still has in his kit) are much more user friendly.

• Like 1

On a separate note, I did break down and order one of these: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0106/0722/products/dw_neil_peart_R40_snare_drum_1024x1024.jpg?v=1422419249

Though I didn't order from these guys - they are out of their allotment for April already.

I've been wanting to do it for a number of tours so I finally looked past the cost and pulled the trigger. Now I just have to wait until spring to get it!

• Like 3

Not sure if this has been posted already. In this interview with Lorne, he mentions there will be no satellite kit this tour, and the riser will not be rotating. Just thought that was interesting....

http://youtu.be/l5FbN_FhX3M

Wouldn't it be great if he Brought Back his old (Moving Pictures) Drum set with the Chimes and all?

•  
    http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/neil_images/neil_80s_2.jpg

• Like 1