No Satellite Kit for Neil This Tour

kevind2112

Not sure if this has been posted already. In this interview with Lorne, he mentions there will be no satellite kit this tour, and the riser will not be rotating. Just thought that was interesting....

http://youtu.be/l5FbN_FhX3M

While the satellite kit was very cool and it allowed Neil to do a lot more interesting and musical things in his drum solo, I'm not overly disappointed that it's gone.

It certainly won't limit the man's ability to beat the shit out of those drums. I still expect him to be an absolute monster behind the kit, and actually I bet this change in drumset will please the old school Rush fans.

The only thing I could see it limiting is their ability to play certain songs that require the use of electronic drums, like Mystic Rhythms. Then again, we never got a real view of the kit, so maybe there are still some electronic drums in there to satisfy his needs and current taste for drumming, but without the full rig behind him.

Even though he has his reservations about touring, it's nice to see that he's still enthusiastic about his drumming. From what I saw in his presentation video, the new kit is gorgeous.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 2

There is no doubt in my mind there will still be electronic pads, etc., sprinkled throughout the main kit, it's just interesting that this will be the first time since Grace Under Pressure that there will be no satellite kit. 30+ years!

It would be really cool if he brought back a few acoustic percussion elements behind him (tubular bells, etc) just for old time sake, but I seriously doubt it.

• Like 1

There is no doubt in my mind there will still be electronic pads, etc., sprinkled throughout the main kit, it's just interesting that this will be the first time since Grace Under Pressure that there will be no satellite kit. 30+ years!

It would be really cool if he brought back a few acoustic percussion elements behind him (tubular bells, etc) just for old time sake, but I seriously doubt it.

Can you just imagine them playing Closer to the Heart and seeing Neil spin around and actually play the bells? That would be so awesome..

• Like 1

True. I think it's a given that he'll still have MIDI patches within reach, as he has for ages. But it is very interesting (to me, and drum geeks everywhere) that it will be the first time in a very long time with no satellite kit.

To better my education and so I can simply follow this interesting conversation; what exactly is a satellite kit? What does it do? What does it add? What is lost without its presence?

Thank you in advance...

The satellite kit we're referring to is the 360 degree kit he's been using the better half of his career, the one that's acoustic on one side and electronic on the other. It's the one that he spins around during his solos.

You don't even actually need electronic drums or pads to achieve those sounds.

It can all be done with triggers placed on the acoustic drum

That's how genesis did it on their 2007 tour. That way they could get the acoustic and electric drum sounds from the same setup.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that is really bummed out? I'd hate to see my first and possibly only Rush show be really watered down. Neil has always been known for having a f***ing HUGE drum kit, and I am pretty disappointing to see that his new kit is so...small. Edited by fraroc

Am I the only one that is really bummed out? I'd hate to see my first and possibly only Rush show be really watered down. Neil has always been known for having a f***ing HUGE drum kit, and I am pretty disappointing to see that his new kit is so...small.

I would call the electronic kit watered down. This is much better. All of the electronic stuff never sounded as good as the real thing.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that is really bummed out? I'd hate to see my first and possibly only Rush show be really watered down. Neil has always been known for having a f***ing HUGE drum kit, and I am pretty disappointing to see that his new kit is so...small.

:wtf:

Watered down?

Us old timers have seniority!! :codger: :haz:

• Like 2

I would call the electronic kit watered down. This is much better. All of the electronic stuff never sounded as good as the real thing.

I will agree that no drum kit will ever sound as good as the original Simmons SDS-V. Those drums sounded like heavenly thunder :)

Edited by fraroc

I will agree that no drum kit will ever sound as good as the original Simmons SDS-V. Those drums sounded like heavenly thunder :)

The only thing is, we may not be seeing all of it. If he adds acoustic things, like a bell tree, bar chime or gong it wouldn't be something they would let us see until the tour starts.

It would be cool if he added the bell tree, people have been bitching for years that the pre-recorded tubular bells and triggered MIDI stuff is too synthetic and fake. This should hopefully placate those people.
  • Like 1

Rest assured that out of that 'small' kit will emanate some huge, thundering rhythms. I guarantee that when you hear it in person, you will not be disappointed!

• Like 2

You don't even actually need electronic drums or pads to achieve those sounds.

It can all be done with triggers placed on the acoustic drum

That's how genesis did it on their 2007 tour. That way they could get the acoustic and electric drum sounds from the same setup.

This! This! Much like Alex has piezo pickups built into his bridge to get his acoustic sound while playing his Gibson, Neil will most likely have trigger pads. The nice thing about this......you can blend the sound of the triggered sound with the regular drum sound if you want.

• Like 1

I'm bummed, not because it's not rotating, that's just for show, but because there will probably be no electronic solo (my favorite kind of solo), and there is less of a chance we will hear electronic kit songs. I really wanted to hear The Weapon, and Mystic Rhythms. I suppose it could still happen, but then again, without the dedicated kit, maybe it won't. I don't know the full logistics.