the idea of a "chronological setlist"

AstrosJake

in Neil's interview on Sirius XM tonight, he mentioned the idea of a chronological setlist when he tossed around different things him, Geddy, and Alex talked about when discussing the set for this tour.

What if this is actually what will happen? I don't think they'd make the whole set chronological, but maybe half of it. The first half of the show could be an arrangement of different songs they want to play, maybe some deeper stuff. The second half could be a total time machine through their whole career in order. Not exactly a song from every album (that would be one long half of the show), but something from every period in order.

This example set would be unbelievable, and although it looks ridiculously long, it's about the same length as their CA setlist.

Set 1:

Tom Sawyer

Animate

Digital Man

Open Secrets

The Enemy Within/Red Lenses

Vital Signs

Cut To The Chase

Emotion Detector

Prime Mover/Available Light

Natural Science

YYZ (with drum solo)

Set 2:

Working Man

Anthem

The Necromancer

2112 (O, ToS... I want the full thing, but I don't think it would fit in this set)

Xanadu

Hemispheres: Prelude

Free Will

Red Barchetta

The Weapon

Time Stand Still

Presto

Resist

Armor & Sword/Faithless

The Garden

Encore:

The Spirit of Radio

Broon's Bane ---> The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

Edited by AstrosJake

I like the looks of it, but the second set has to end with The Garden.

that would be unbelievable. The only thing is, they kinda have to end with a radio hit that resonates with everyone. I'll switch the S&A songs with The Garden, that would be epic

Anthem? Geddy would end up collapsing his lungs.

Not if he sang it similar to how he did in the medley they did during the Roll The Bones tour (at about 14:00)

http://youtu.be/rT_G3y1Yngw

If it was a true chronological set list....

I guess they're opening with Finding My Way...

Even that opening riff to start off a medley would be awesome....

An instrumental medley as follows....

Finding My Way...Anthem....Working Man

By-Tor...Fly By Night...Beneath, Between and Behind...

Didacts and Narpets...etc,etc,etc

If this chronological setlist thing DOES come to major fruition (I'm getting discernibly turgid just thinking about it) I have a feeling that you'll see them start with Finding My Way, and run through Permanent Waves until the break...then come out after the break and run Moving Pictures through CA....

MY only thought for an encore out of sync would be playing the song "A Farewell to Kings" last!

I wouldn't expect a dry eye in the house! (and I've already warned the friend I'm going to see this show with that I WILL be bringing tissues!)

I like the looks of it, but the second set has to end with The Garden.

yeah good song, but kind of downer to end a set.

Do the Garden, and then end it with Headlong Flight.

Better yet. The Garden, the opening of Bastille Day and then go right into Headlong Flight.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

I think what they'll probably do is something similar to Time Machine. It would be fun if they just threw caution to the wind and did something completely different and surprise us all. :)

I expect the last song to be Linelight or Tom Sawyer.

After hearing the interview last night, I made a setlist that included an opening medley with songs from "era 1" (first 4 albums). The remainder of set 1 included songs from "era 2" (FTK - MP). Set 2 included songs from signals forward with many A set - B set selections. Finally, the encore was 4 songs long with one song from each "era" (Overture, New World Man, Headlong Flight, and ending with Limelight).

• Like 1

Actually I've read no string section on this tour. No strings...no The Garden?

And the way Neil talked in his interview, he made some sort of mention (when they were discussng set lists for THIS tour) of "well we DID that album the last tour, and some of this on that tour, so we won't be doing much of this" (loosely quoted)

I'm sure they can play to "tapes" of a string section..they've done it before so....

It'd be interesting if they opened the show with an R40 medley of Rush through Hemispheres and then did the rest of the first set chronological and then do whatever they want for the second set Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

It'd be interesting if they opened the show with an R40 medley of Rush through Hemispheres and then did the rest of the first set chronological and then do whatever they want for the second set

This is exactly what I was thinking.

1st set- A chronological history

2nd set- A deep tracks opening followed by rapid fire session of staples

Encore- Tom, Spirit, Freewill....Rocking hits...

I feel like we might get Here Again.... Because that song describes exactly what their tour lives have lead them to.. I want it so bad

Except Geddy can't sing like that anymore.

I feel like we might get Here Again.... Because that song describes exactly what their tour lives have lead them to.. I want it so bad

Obviously it's going to be tuned down and the arrangement might be a little different, but I think he could pull it off with his yodel style...

Obviously it's going to be tuned down and the arrangement might be a little different, but I think he could pull it off with his yodel style...

Maybe if it were tuned down an entire octave. :LOL:

• Like 1

The other thought that came to me when I was walking at the gym earlier is that they could take the Chronicles CD set and just use that as a blue print for their set list up until Presto...two songs, in chronological order from each album (except three from Moving Pictures, and a few live options)