If this is the end of the road, do you think....

Lorraine

They probably won't miss the pain. Playing music can be painful. I come home from a gig with throbbing fingers, a raw voice, sore feet, and a sore back and shoulders after carrying my friggin' sack-o-potatoes bass guitar around all night. And I only play once or twice a month. Plus these guys have 15 years on me.

Sure, they're in much better shape than I am, because it's what they do. But I try to imagine what their muscles and joints feel like, Lee's throat, Peart's entire body (what I don't understand is why he would then want to sit on a friggin' motorcycle for hours and hours the next day).

I do hope that there will be some more music - that they will be keen to keep making music despite it not being remunerative. Their need to create will trump that, I hope.

I would imagine they run a lot of hot water and use a lot of BenGay. :LOL:

Maybe they could make some money that way: "Ben Gay: trusted relief for drummers like Neil Peart for over 25 years."

• Like 1

They probably won't miss the pain. Playing music can be painful. I come home from a gig with throbbing fingers, a raw voice, sore feet, and a sore back and shoulders after carrying my friggin' sack-o-potatoes bass guitar around all night. And I only play once or twice a month. Plus these guys have 15 years on me.

Sure, they're in much better shape than I am, because it's what they do. But I try to imagine what their muscles and joints feel like, Lee's throat, Peart's entire body (what I don't understand is why he would then want to sit on a friggin' motorcycle for hours and hours the next day).

I do hope that there will be some more music - that they will be keen to keep making music despite it not being remunerative. Their need to create will trump that, I hope.

I would imagine they run a lot of hot water and use a lot of BenGay. :LOL:

Maybe they could make some money that way: "Ben Gay: trusted relief for drummers like Neil Peart for over 25 years."

They'd need to make it Macallan scented.

• Like 2

Were they pressured into this tour? It doesn't sound like they were good with the idea.

They did kind of insinuate that in the interview last Fall.

Were they pressured into this tour? It doesn't sound like they were good with the idea.

I can't see anyone being able to pressure the band into doing anything. They've been touring on their own terms so far. Why would they change their attitude now?

I can't see anyone being able to pressure the band into doing anything. They've been touring on their own terms so far. Why would they change their attitude now?

IMO because of Neil wanting to stay home with Olivia and his comments about how much she missed him during the last tour.

I find the idea we or the band have to feel X "or" Y curious. It is possible, likely in fact, we and they will feel, X *and* Y *and* Z.... and YYZ.

One point of clarity: My opinion is this is definitely the end of an era. I do think they have left open the idea of some form of live performance down the road - even smaller, regional tours - but it seems pretty clear the construct of a traditional tour is coming to its close. If that is indeed the case, I think all three guys will feel a combination of relief, nostalgia, sadness, etc. Human nature says it would not be one or the other, but a mixture of many. After all, life is complicated.

And, at its core, we are talking about life decisions for Geddy, Alex, and Neil. As fans, we have our thoughts and opinions about what we think or hope they will do, continue to do, or not continue to do... but in the end, the decision is theirs to make for them.

On a personal level, the prospect of this being the end of an era for my favorite band causes sadness for two reasons. Certainly the first reason is I may no longer get to look forward to a future album and/or tour. Long time fans already faced this once before and I think the prior hiatus makes this reality even more emotionally stark: We have previously experienced the question of whether or not this band will continue to exist and were blessed with their return to the studio and the road. This time, though, it seems their existence, as we have known it at least, is more likely to end, or at least change significantly, than continue. The second reason is the reality of the end of an era gives me reason to pause and reflect upon why I have enjoyed the band so much for so long. Very sincerely, it reminds me of the notion of mortality. All things, at some point, come to an end. We do not have to like that, but we all have to accept it at some point.

And, let's be real here, if Neil is indeed the cause of the "tour of this magnitude" description, mortality is likely the thing that is driving Neil's thoughts. A few fans seem to have vilified Neil and the idea that he could be the one member of the band precipitating the change in direction. I won't mince words here: I think that is a selfish attitude and in no way fair. Neil lost his daughter and his wife in a very emotionally brutal way. His loss was no more or no less compelling or painful than the loss that many people - famous or not - experience, but it was still real and understandably difficult. In the time since, though, Neil has recaptured the very basic building block of life: A family. The man once lost his only child and his wife.... it is not only understandable, but reasonable, to suggest that he does not want to take his second opportunity to enjoy life with a wife and daughter for granted... that he would want to privilege a life with them over a life on the road.

That does not mean, though, that Neil would necessarily discount his time, experience, and memories of the road. That does not fundamentally mean he no longer loves his band mates, who he probably thinks of more as brothers than business partners, nor does it automatically mean he does not appreciate the fans or what they have given him over the decades. It could very simply mean he has decided to restructure his priorities. That's his decision to make and I am sure it will come with myriad thoughts and emotions.

At the same time, the prospect of this being the end of an era, possibly even "the end" leads me to a sense of gratitude. At some point during this tour, I will attend a show that I will have to accept as potentially being the last for me... and I will appreciate that moment. If I were able to talk to the band before or after that show, I would simply say this: "Gentlemen, thank you."

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 4

Well,

For those of us who have been around since the 70's. It's been a kick** ride!! :codger: I feel fortunate that I had the luck and pleasure to see them back in the day and prove the critics wrong. Regardless of what they decide. I will be one happy camper! :dweez: :7up: :rush:

Kiss my :moon: Wenner. :laughing guy:

• Like 3

Musically I don't think Rush has anything left . They have coasted pretty good since the 2000 reformation . They have surpased even their expectations. RRHOF inductions . All the awards and things. The documentary. Several successful money making DVDs , They have outlived most of their competition. going out on top is very tempting . Maybe it is ok to milk your hits for 20 years with no new material .That does seem the norm with bands like Styx,Reo.Kansas,Foreigner,Journey. If all Rush' fans are ok with that then hey go for it . But I won't go . I wont be going to any concerts anytime soon anyway. As for new music I think they should stop that also. Maybe they can take a long break . Rush doesn't seem like that kind of band. SO that leaves just one option . Retire.
  • Like 1

I've only listened to the band and been a fan for about 9 years now, so it will suck to have to say goodbye to my favorite band when I'm now only 22. I'm so jealous of the people who have been able to follow them since the beginning..

That said I know that not only is Neil tired, but after all these years he has certainly earned the right to set his sticks down and be with his wife and daughter, and Alex just the same has earned spending the rest of his life with his grandchildren and the rest of his family.

I feel like Geddy will keep going, with solo albums (I wouldn't complain if he released a follow up to "My Favorite Headache") or maybe just start a new group to record every so often. I've always wondered what it would be like to hear Geddy just play bass and not be the singer..

Bur whatever the case is, if this is indeed the end, I would rather they go out on top than be forced to call it quits for another reason.

Whatever happens, I'm content.

I would think that emotionally they'd feel a little bit of everything if they officially announce a retirement as a band. I believe the only one of the three who would officially retire from music altogether is Neil. The other two will continue to make music from time to time, maybe a solo album here or there or an appearance with someone else. I don't think an artist ever really retires as their craft is too much a part of who they are.

Ultimately they would feel satisfaction that they ended things on their terms.

Well, I feel bad. Really bad. Even if they don't. I hate to see anything good come to an end.

I remember back in the 90's days of tNMS, rumors were being stoked about the next release (T4E) and someone posted that it would be the album and be called "All Good Things".

Seems a bit more fitting now than 18 years ago.

I would imagine they feel a lot of things in relation to touring. Sadness that they're getting older and can't do it as easily anymore. Relief because touring is hard even on younger people. I doubt if they're feeling happiness in any sense. Getting older sucks.

Tell me about it. I wish I had known when I was younger what it was going to be like for me now. I would have had a bigger blast than I had. :LOL:

What was that thing Oscar Wilde said? "Youth is wasted on the young."

• Like 2

payjnev says it perfect. retire. and i too doubt i will be going to see them. there will be a ton of excellent quality youtube videos of every show. nice close ups and all. But i just dont have the extra money and its very expensive to go to concerts these days in general. Usually with rush i get burned. i always have to buy 2 tickets and doo all the work and hope the other person shows up ect. been there , done that. plus i seen them 9 times already. they arent gonna be as good as they were in 2002 anyway. The whole concert thing is too much hassle and money and work. plus. you gotta take a chance of dealing with drunks that only know 2 songs. sitting next to you..
  • Like 2