Neil Peart Interview Tonight

JohnRogers

Sorry to say, but as much as I admire Neil and his intelligence, his longer interviews can be kind of tiresome. We get it brainiac...you're smart so just dial back the wordfest.

Sorry to say, but as much as I admire Neil and his intelligence, his longer interviews can be kind of tiresome. We get it brainiac...you're smart so just dial back the wordfest.

I think it's refreshing to hear someone with intelligence speak rather than the "dumb is cool" thing that's going on now days.

• Like 6

I think it's refreshing to hear someone with intelligence speak rather than the "dumb is cool" thing that's going on now days.

I agree one hundred thousand percent!

• Like 2

Neil seems to be more in the limelight this time around interview-wise. I wonder why?

Maybe he decided that he "must put aside the alienation".

:outtahere:

• Like 3

I'll take one minute of an intelligent and well-read person speaking over a thousand hours of some ignorant, mono-syllabled nincompoop babbling any day....

Quality >>>> Quantity

• Like 3

What could be frustrating with interviews is that you get to listen to the whole thing to hear just a bit of what you're a waiting for and when you have heard it, the answer is not complete enough for you or he doesn't tell us what we want to hear. And everyone take what they want in interviews depending on your interests.

I wish I did too. Stupid "paid" radio...what happen to good old fashioned almost free radio?! :codger:

It'll be on Youtube within 48 hours...

Fixed ;)

Well, I listened to the whole thing, I enjoy Neil's voice so it ran in the background while I did other things. I think he is talking so much about this tour because I think it is going to be their last hurrah. When he says he is to the point of enjoying being at home for x number of days and traveling only a couple of days, that explains his lack of enthusiasm for touring. However he then goes on to say if I am a musician then I prove myself by touring, that is how Rush gained their fame (he names all the tours they opened for other groups, festivals and so on) and that is what we do. Near the end of the interview, they talk about the last stop on the tour in LA at the Forum "a great way to end it (the tour)."

I also think their choice of indoor stadiums, the old style drum kit without a satellite, (i.e. the spinning section) tells me they are getting back to their roots. He did mention Toronto and Cleveland as other good places to end a tour for them but they chose LA because it was the place to have a concert in the 70's (i.e. nostalgia).

So, he recounted a lot of stories that have been heard before but I got the sense that he is wanting to have a good tour but he isn't happy about leaving his family for so long (5 year old child doesn't understand why you aren't there every night etc.) that may also explain the small number of venues. He sounded happy so I think he is excited to use the new kit so we may get to hear a lot of classic Rush.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

I wish I did too. Stupid "paid" radio...what happen to good old fashioned almost free radio?! :codger:

It'll be on Youtube within 48 hours...

Fixed ;)

Thank you for posting it here!

• Like 1

Great Interview, and thanks MMCXII for posting the link.

I'm just not seeing the link between the current interviews and this being the "last tour" mentioned in many threads. It sounds similar to every other interview from the last several tours in that Rush seems very present, they're preparing for this tour to celebrate R40 ("with care"). Nothing beyond that. They may extend this tour. They may use this tour to warm up their chops and then go into a writing phase. I would imagine getting up and going again after a long break is tough for any one of them. I know on Monday, I don't always feel great about going to work for a new week, even though I generally enjoy what I do. Usually by Monday at noon, my passion is re-ignited and the work week is flying by enjoyably as usual. And there's no comparison between my work week and a Rush tour...

Right now, they're probably thinking about the work ahead for them somewhat dauntingly, then once the wheels are turning, who knows what they might do. I found this interview an enjoyable listen, and Neil is really probably the most open of all three members, contrary to what so many seem to feel. I particularly liked the section where he talks about approaching their craft with care. Many seem to think their releases and tours are some type of cash grab, and their bending over their fans. Well, guess what, they are a cash grab. Just like the work anybody on here does for a living is. They have a right to grab as much cash as demand will allow. The difference with Rush (and probably many of their fans) is that they grab their cash with care, and everything they do is worth the price of admission as far as I'm concerned (minus getting bent by a scalper, which is totally avoidable).

Looking forward to R40. It sounds like this tour is really gonna be an A-sides tour. Although I'm more of a B-side fan, I really think this tour is going to translate well to the live audience. Casual fans and rabid fans alike!