Selling Like Crazy

upstateNYfan

:codger: When I started going to concerts in the 80s tickets were like $15 - $20. It was an awesome time. I can't think of anything that has gone up in price as fast as concert tickets.

And the "old foagies" back then were saying, "Back in my day, $8 was considered high for a ticket!"

This old lady paid five dollars for a Fillmore East concert in 1969. The better seats were $7.50. ;)

I guess the one good thing we can take from this is no matter who buys the tickets they are selling. Which increases the likelyhood of the band returning to your area. It sucks that the whole scalper/broker thing is out of control though. Hopefully, the bands management will adopt a new way of how these presales work next time. The show here in Buffalo had four different preslaes. If it was the same for most other shows, no wonder nobody could get tickets the day they went on sale to the public. Half the tickets for every show are already gobbled up before the anyone even has a chance.

I wish they had never had that blurb up on rush.com that said it would be the last tour of this magnitude. I think that's part of what started the mad dash for tickets.

I wish they had never had that blurb up on rush.com that said it would be the last tour of this magnitude. I think that's part of what started the mad dash for tickets.

That's probably why they did it.

I'm sure they did it to try to increase ticket sales, but it had unforeseen circumstances. The people that are benefiting from this are the resalers, not the band.

How's Seattle doing?

And I am dying to know how Lincoln Nebraska is doing as well.

Have the corn farmers bought all the tickets yet?

• Like 1

How's Seattle doing?

Have the corn farmers bought all the tickets yet?

If the concert was on Saturday instead of Sunday I'd be at that show. My son has school the next day. Damn!

Oh, it's selling briskly. Most of the two SoCal shows, the orchestra and loge seats above the pit or floor have been moving steadily at $700 a pop. I can't believe how many Irvine orchestra seats have moved at that price range. But it's happening. Seems the Rush fanbase is clamoring for premium attendance.

There is no way any show is even close to sold out yet. Ticketmaster and their ilk never give you a real picture of availability, they like to release tickets bit by bit to make everyone think they are sold out or close to it all the way until showtime so people will pay high prices.

And that friends is the free market at its best......

Edited by ytserush

The seating charts for Toronto via TM now show them selling seats behind the original cutoff points on the sides that were showing during the presale, effectively somewhat behind the stage.

That can be right, can it? Sitting behind any sort of salvageable viewpoint?

The tour is selling extremely well. Scalpers are an unfortunate part of the modern game.

Be patient...wait them out...and get good seats at a good price just before showtime.

How's Seattle doing?

You can two in row 15 for $525 each (Platinum Seats! :eyeroll: ) or get row 3, Alex's side, on resale for only $1338 each. :hockeygoon:

$255 will get you front row, side view section for Geddy.

Edited by goose

My first post! Sorry to hear the trouble the expensive tickets are causing. I got lucky with silver tix in NJ. The high price of concerts is in response to the high cost of travel and production these days. Also, there is a need to make more on the tour side due to the industry wide decline in rock album sales during the MP3 era. To see a band as great as Rush and the challenges touring can bring to experienced athletic players, warrants a premium price for premium seats...as horrifying as it is to see four digits for the first two rows. The demand to sit closer to the Rush is among the highest of any touring rock band.

I think we are fortunate to still be able to see the same three brilliant musicians 41 years later. I am grateful every time they decide to tour, and if too pricy, if the Best I Can is upper level, I am happy to be in the same room with these three guys one more time!

• Like 6

The tour is selling extremely well. Scalpers are an unfortunate part of the modern game.

Nobody is more pissed off than me about the way tickets are sold now-a-days ! :rage:

For a fleeting moment I thought Pearl Jam would change things, in 1995 ( not exactly sure of the year )

But they sold tickets with the "buyers" name printed on them & only you. with ID could use them

Even if the present ID @ the door method was flawed, they sold EVERY ticket 2 at a time whether you were a Broker or an armature scalper

& I would be fine with that, and no problem with selling up to 8 to any person, broker, scalper Etc....

It's the FACT that Huge amounts of tickets goes --------> straight to the Brokers BEFORE any sale's

Between that, which is the LARGEST chunk.

You still have VIP holds

Season ticket holds ( some are broker who buy "season tickets )

Double Wammy is these are always the BEST seats

I don't know why the Venue/promoters/artists would put up with this ???

For Example.... lets just say a high demand ticket sells for ( 92+3+5 ) from TM is 100.00 out of pocket

Sold to any said fan who get's lucky enough to buy one through the current normal process

OK

( totally guessing at these numbers, but it's just an example )

100.00 dollar transaction

$ 8.00 already went to TM ( 3+5 )

$ 30.00 for venue

$ 30.00 for promoter

$ 30.00 Artist/Band

$ 2.00 taxes to city

Everybody gets a piece pre-negotiated piece

When sold by SH or other brokers :cough: scalpers

& sold for $ 300.00 to a fan

Venue gets 30

Promoter gets 30

Rush gets 30

WHY WHY Do brokers get 200.00 ! ! ! Why should they make more than Everybody combined :crazy:

I

WHY WHY Do brokers get 200.00 ! ! ! Why should they make more than Everybody combined :crazy:

I

Maybe because they want to make a profit out of those crazy enough to pay for this...

• Like 2

The talk about how much ticket "brokers" make on top of ticket prices is significantly unfair to Rush. They get a flat fee, and it's up to the local promoters to figure out how to earn back the investment. The only thing that has changed since the old days is that this is now out in the open. Looking at CA 2013 gross revenues, Rush's fees probably ave a little under half a mil per show.

So a 35 show tour would gross about $17 mil plus a few mil in merchandise. Figuring millions on personnel, millions on equipment cost and overhead, perhaps the artists net $3 - $4 mil each per year. Discount that for years they do not tour and the decline of the recorded music business they make much less than star athletes. Although their careers are shorter, the star athletes keep earning after retiring either on TV or industry (coaching, etc.) jobs. To me the integrity of Rush music far outweighs the value of any $25 mil per year NBA or MLB player, with none of the dangerous aspects that some athletes present to society. There is no illusion of integrity for most of the sports industry...

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Maybe because they want to make a profit out of those crazy enough to pay for this...

I meant to add,

:yes: We, the people, could stop these brokers by just NOT buying from them

But, never would be able to get that to happen

Case in Point , Co worker bought tickets for Fleetwood Mac from a broker & paid double & was just bitching & bitchin'

I asked why did you use a broker ? He said they were sold out, I said No.... he said it was easier, I said so..... He didn't know any other way....OMG !

I knew they weren't & showed him so on TM site. tickets were pricey, but he paid 300 ea for a 150 face value ticket

So like I said, why should they (Legalized Scalpers ) get the MEGA profit, The BAND should reap the benefits of a "high" demand show ! !

Edited by GotRush

Nobody is more pissed off than me about the way tickets are sold now-a-days ! :rage:

For a fleeting moment I thought Pearl Jam would change things, in 1995 ( not exactly sure of the year )

But they sold tickets with the "buyers" name printed on them & only you. with ID could use them

Even if the present ID @ the door method was flawed, they sold EVERY ticket 2 at a time whether you were a Broker or an armature scalper

& I would be fine with that, and no problem with selling up to 8 to any person, broker, scalper Etc....

It's the FACT that Huge amounts of tickets goes --------> straight to the Brokers BEFORE any sale's

Between that, which is the LARGEST chunk.

You still have VIP holds

Season ticket holds ( some are broker who buy "season tickets )

Double Wammy is these are always the BEST seats

I don't know why the Venue/promoters/artists would put up with this ???

For Example.... lets just say a high demand ticket sells for ( 92+3+5 ) from TM is 100.00 out of pocket

Sold to any said fan who get's lucky enough to buy one through the current normal process

OK

( totally guessing at these numbers, but it's just an example )

100.00 dollar transaction

$ 8.00 already went to TM ( 3+5 )

$ 30.00 for venue

$ 30.00 for promoter

$ 30.00 Artist/Band

$ 2.00 taxes to city

Everybody gets a piece pre-negotiated piece

When sold by SH or other brokers :cough: scalpers

& sold for $ 300.00 to a fan

Venue gets 30

Promoter gets 30

Rush gets 30

I

They incur 100% of the risk of the re-sale while providing RUSH and the venue a guaranteed return. The scalpers know they are going to eat a certain number of unsold tickets, but will make up for the loss because many buyers will over-pay.

Complaining will change nothing. Voting with your pocketbook will. Stay home, or at least wait them out.