Selling Like Crazy

upstateNYfan

I'm glad to see that there is such a high demand for these tickets, but at the same time I am outraged at these ticket prices. For the CA tour, I was able to score the same tickets for half the price. I was unable to score anything in any of the pre-sales for Philly (even with refreshing at 10:00:00). General sale tickets for the Philly show have all sold out, and only platinum tickets are left.

Good for them, bad for money-pressed whipper snappers like me who want to snag a decent seat.

:codger: When I started going to concerts in the 80s tickets were like $15 - $20. It was an awesome time. I can't think of anything that has gone up in price as fast as concert tickets.

• Like 1

:codger: When I started going to concerts in the 80s tickets were like $15 - $20. It was an awesome time. I can't think of anything that has gone up in price as fast as concert tickets.

And the "old foagies" back then were saying, "Back in my day, $8 was considered high for a ticket!"

Edited by zappafrank
  • Like 2

The "Hell Freezes Over" tour by the Eagles (was that around '95) was the first time I heard on the radio that ticket prices were getting up to $100. Seems like it's been downhill since then. The emergence of stubhub and the like (aka legalized scalping) didn't help things.

There is no way any show is even close to sold out yet. Ticketmaster and their ilk never give you a real picture of availability, they like to release tickets bit by bit to make everyone think they are sold out or close to it all the way until showtime so people will pay high prices.
  • Like 2

I checked the Buffalo show a few days ago and they only give two ticket options for the upper level of the venue. So I guess that means if you want a regular ticket, those are the only options left. If anyone is thinking about going to that show, you might want to get on that right now because it looks like we're gonna have another sell out here.
  • Like 1

Apollo,

Check Chicago and the NYC MSG show - only available are "resale". Tickets went on sale to public 1/30. Also, Buffalo doesn't have ANY floor or lower on sale anymore.

I stand by my prediction that around three weeks to the show, more tickets will be made available. Of course my prediction has no warranty or guarantee of any kind.

Edited by Apollo

Apollo,

Check Chicago and the NYC MSG show - only available are "resale". Tickets went on sale to public 1/30. Also, Buffalo doesn't have ANY floor or lower on sale anymore.

I stand by my prediction that around three weeks to the show, more tickets will be made available. Of course my prediction has no warranty or guarantee of any kind.

This happened to me during the clockwork angels tour. I was able to get in the 4th row on the floor one week before the Cleveland show. Also, at Summerfest on the day of the show, I checked with the box office to see what was available about two hours before the concert. There were several close seats available within the first 10 rows.

If by "selling out"...you mean to scalpers, then you're correct.

The fact is...there is some real disgusting stuff going on here. I know, I know...this has become the norm now, but it is ridiculous.

I was on TM at 10am sharp this morning looking for tickets to the Toronto show(s), and have been finding absolutely NO tickets all day long...right from the get-go.

I'd like to believe that TM has not yet released ALL tickets...and that there will be plenty more coming for all venues. But right now...it looks like StubHub has more tickets available than TM...and at hundreds to thousands dollars more than face value. :rage:

• Like 1

If by "selling out"...you mean to scalpers, then you're correct.

The fact is...there is some real disgusting stuff going on here. I know, I know...this has become the norm now, but it is ridiculous.

I was on TM at 10am sharp this morning looking for tickets to the Toronto show(s), and have been finding absolutely NO tickets all day long...right from the get-go.

I'd like to believe that TM has not yet released ALL tickets...and that there will be plenty more coming for all venues. But right now...it looks like StubHub has more tickets available than TM...and at hundreds to thousands dollars more than face value. :rage:

Yes, this is my life. Both Tampa pre-sales gave me nothing. Literraly zero tickets. Today on open sale there is nothing but upper tier balcony left. I am forced to roll the dice and wait until week of show or troll the parking lot

Good for them, bad for money-pressed whipper snappers like me who want to snag a decent seat.

I have a Chicago ticket from 1979 which was $8.75. I have a Harry Chapin ticket from 1980 that's $5.50 Ozzy Osbourne on the Blizzard of Ozz tour April 1981 (Randy Rhoades was still there... Motorhead opened) $8.75! My first Rush ticket from 1984 in Philly $13.50! Baltimore in 1986 $14.50 Pink Floyd at JFK Stadium in 1987 $20.00!!

More recently? Roger Waters Wall show $113.00 (and that's not the handling/surcharge fees either) Rush in Hershey in 2011 $126.00! $127. for the R40 tour in Virginia...

Floor gone and Lower Bowl mostly gone for New Orleans.

Lots of upper deck seats left.

If you can't find seats anywhere else, The New Orleans show is the Friday of Memorial Day weekend.

I'll be the one with the lampshade on.

Folks, I cannot stress this enough... NO SHOWS ARE SOLD OUT YET. It may look that way, but I promise you nothing is sold out. That's the way venue sales work. They release blocks at a time and as the show gets closer other blocks are released... rinse and repeat. Yes, the tour is selling well. But you just need to keep watching Ticketmaster like a hawk to get what you want. It will pop up, and it's just a matter of you being prepared.

Think about it, if you are a promotor/venue/band - put up the first 5,000 in the first month and get people to think "Oh man, nothing's left! Better get these seats in Section 307 or pay a scalper!" And by the time the show rolls around, you'll have the place filled from the back-up, and viola, a crowd is built.

Yes, venues sell direct to scalpers and broker sites nowadays. It sucks, but it's reality. In fact, believe it or not, a lot of times it's THE BAND THEMSELVES selling a group of prime seats to broker sites, who give it back to bands on the back-end. You'd think they would make enough money from just selling tickets normally, but alas...

Again, it's the nasty side of the business. But that's the way it works. Knowing this, I picked up a pair for St. Louis today during the public on-sale just to make sure I had something, and I will literally have Ticketmaster open to the show page every day I'm at work until May. And I bet you I'll end up in the first five rows at face value.

• Like 3