I'm starting to loose interest in the band..?

Zabriskie

I really like the band Rush. I grew up in their Hometown of Willowdale, I lived just a few blocks away from Alex Lifeson's childhood home, and I'm even going to their highschool. I started listening to them when I turned 13, I had rode my bike back and forth from Toronto city with the two albums Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves between my arms and when I first listened to them, it was amazing. I grew up in a dysfunctional family and I'd escape mainly by listening to them. Hell, I even found a passion of writing from being inspired by their song 2112. I could listen to their songs forever and it would never bother me.

Three years after, I've found it where I mindlessly just go strait to youtube, go to my favourites, and just pick a song without even thinking about what I'm listening to. I came really dependant on their music for lots of reasons. I went through a lot of emotional turmoil with my family as a young kid, I'm still going through this today and I've always found hope in their lyrics. Like I've said before, I've found a passion in writing due to Rush, I feel like I owe them everything for helping me find something that I was actually worth. Finally, they bring back so many memories of when I was younger. When I listened to them back then it was easy to get swept away but now I've just grown used to it. Strange enough, I used to be obsessed with Pink Floyd. I listened to them so many times it had gotten stale. I found Rush a few months after losing interest in them and I was hooked. I'm trying to take a short break from rush so I can experience that new feeling again, but I feel so empty. I'm starting my first day tomorrow, and while I sit here in utter silence, I feel... well, weird. It feels like I'm just letting all those memories flow behind me, and it feels sorta painful.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else felt this before, and if so is there any possible way to get that same new feeling from their music?

Edited by Zabriskie
  • Like 1

Sounds like you're kind of burned out. Nothing wrong with taking a break. I would imagine that most of the people here haven't listened to their music every single day since they became a fan. I know with me, I've taken long breaks from their music over the years, and when I come back to it it's fresh again.
  • Like 7

Take a 25 year or so break. When you return everything will be fresh and new again. "True fan" status may go down the drain however... :codger:
  • Like 3

"True fan" status may go down the drain however... :codger:

Not a chance!

Zabriskie, I agree with what others have said here. Rush has been the most important band in my lifetime...I was born several months before the debut album was recorded, started listening to them when I was six or seven years old, courtesy of my older brother (Permanent Waves was the 'new' Rush album back then, and I had been raised on large chunks of Fly By Night, 2112, and A Farewell to Kings)- saw them live for the first time when I was 16...and then around the time of Test For Echo, I also kind of lost interest in them, I'm sorry to say. I was absorbed in lots of other music. But fast forward about fourteen years, and I started to come back to them around the Time Machine tour, saw them live on the Clockwork Angels tour for the first time since Counterparts, and I'm so glad I did- and that I found this forum.

There's nothing wrong with taking a break- even if it ends up being a long one. (I would advise seeing them live if you can, if you haven't- and that means not being gone for too terribly long, you understand). I did, and it didn't change how vitally important Rush has always been, for me.

• Like 1

Just because they're your favorite band doesn't mean you have to listen to them all the time. Even with the good things you need a break every now and then. They've been my favorite band for over 20 years, so my days of listening to them all the time passed years ago. There are stretches where i'll go months without listening to anything from them. It doesn't make them any less my favorite band because I do that. There are plenty of other great bands out there to listen to, Rush isn't the be all end all in rock. Take a break from them and find some other music to enjoy. When you're ready to come back to them, your Rush albums will be there waiting for you. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Ya can't just keep listening to the same bands and not expand into new things... Granted...most of the newer music coming out is just crap...no imagination, all sounds like the same stuff yadda yadda yadda...but if you find at least ONE new thing occasionally, especially if the band has a back catalog, you can move into than, then come back to your old bands with a fresh attitude.

One of the newer bands I found is Umphrey's McGee who is a "Prog Jam Band" These guys are AMAZING musicians, write and play a lot of intense music, AND stick difficult covers into their shows...I highly recommend them!

Spock's Beard is another I found a few years back..and expanded into Neal Morse who WAS their lead singer, but branched off into a little more of a "religious" tone (some stuff goes a little over the top, but most of it's palatable if you aren't an over zealous religious kind of person) Neal ALSO is in Transatlantic which is the band with Mike Portnoy of Dream Theatre, and Roine Stolt from the Flower Kings, and Pete Trewavas from Marillion...there....all good stuff to get into if you haven't already.

What I like these days is that there are plenty of places to go listen to stuff then decide if you want to buy it...rather than go buy something unheard...listen to it once and go "ok...not my style" and it get's shelved forever!

I got excited for Rush again since I just acquired tickets, and have the studio catalog programmed into my iPod for when I'm working out... I just finished the Umphrey's McGee run (bootleg) of their five day New Years run in Atlanta, and put in a boot of Primus's Chocolate Factory show in my car...But I've probably listened to Rush more than any other band I own...and when I give them a break, I can get back into them and enjoy the hell out of them as I am now! You just can't burn out on things...I get burned out on Floyd also....but there are some cool boots popping up from the early years that are really good quality...

• Like 1

Lose: to cease to have something

Loose: your mom

Sorry - this is possibly my biggest pet peeve. I do not generally play Grammar Gestapo on the forums, but this particular bit of confusion makes my eyes bleed.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 10

Loose: your mom

:o .....

:rfl:.......

I stole it from Matthew Inman of The Oatmeal. Credit where credit is due.

• Like 1

Classic case of burnout. Maybe you've moved on to something else? If you have used their music to mend whatever hurt you, I guess it's only natural that it loses (forgive me Mara if I get this one wrong ;) ) it's meaning as you grow and heal?

But never feel obligated to listen to any band because they were/are your favorite band.

I would agree with what everyone else has said. I rediscovered music in general and Rush in particular just over a year ago after a break of about 25 years. When I got to the point where I was worried that Rush's magic was starting to fade a little for me, I started investigating other artists over a range of genres and found a few that excited me as much as Rush (well almost). There is a whole world of music out there to investigate- just go and enjoy it. If a band really has a special place for you, you will come back to it.
  • Like 3

Classic case of burnout. Maybe you've moved on to something else? If you have used their music to mend whatever hurt you, I guess it's only natural that it loses (forgive me Mara if I get this one wrong ;) ) it's meaning as you grow and heal?

But never feel obligated to listen to any band because they were/are your favorite band.

You got it right. ;)

It's certainly not something to feel guilty about. I've taken literal years-long breaks from listening to Rush and other favorite bands. When I finally "return to the fold", it all seems fresh and new again, which is a nifty feeling.

• Like 1

Yes, thats why i like other bands too, rush is my fav though. it use to be van halen, now with all the drama and personell changes. i lost intrest and feeling in them. But rush has never got me bored thank god. cause you can switch eras of them. if i get bored of 80's rush i go to 70's rush, then i go to 90's rush ect... But yes like one poster said. too much af anyhting can get boring... no matter what it is... girls. pizza and beer..

You got it right. ;)

It's certainly not something to feel guilty about. I've taken literal years-long breaks from listening to Rush and other favorite bands. When I finally "return to the fold", it all seems fresh and new again, which is a nifty feeling.

Sometimes you just loose interest.... :huh: ;)

You got it right. ;)

Bite me. :D

• Like 1

Its.

• Like 3

You got it right. ;)

Bite me. :D

:cool: ....

You got it right. ;)

No he didn't. It's "its," not "it's."

It's = it is

Its = belonging or pertaining to it

Sorry, had to play along. :)

You got it right. ;)

No he didn't. It's "its," not "it's."

It's = it is

Its = belonging or pertaining to it

Sorry, had to play along. :)

I cut him some slack because English is not his first language. TAG lives in Denmark. Still, he did just get a free English lesson!

• Like 2