Worst Concert Experience

Shreddy Lee

It was August 1st, 2002. I had two tickets for the Rush show in St. Louis the next day. I always put valuable things like that in my ledger for safe keeping, but since I had recently purchased a new ledger, I hadn't yet written any names or numbers inside it. I thought it would be okay though and put the envelope with the tickets inside my trusty ledger.

At one point I was taking a walk down a street and needed to tie my shoe. For just a second I put my ledger down inside the bed of a truck that happened to be parked on the side of the street next to me, which was filled with a bunch of trash and leaves. I needed my hands free to tie my shoes. When I was done tying them and I stood back up, the ledger was gone! To this day I still don't know what ended up happening to my tickets.

So don't forget to check the bed of the truck you put your ledger in for a second when you are walking down the street and need to tie your shoe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

It was August 1st, 2002. I had two tickets for the Rush show in St. Louis the next day. I always put valuable things like that in my ledger for safe keeping, but since I had recently purchased a new ledger, I hadn't yet written any names or numbers inside it. I thought it would be okay though and put the envelope with the tickets inside my trusty ledger.

At one point I was taking a walk down a street and needed to tie my shoe. For just a second I put my ledger down inside the bed of a truck that happened to be parked on the side of the street next to me, which was filled with a bunch of trash and leaves. I needed my hands free to tie my shoes. When I was done tying them and I stood back up, the ledger was gone! To this day I still don't know what ended up happening to my tickets.

So don't forget to check the bed of the truck you put your ledger in for a second when you are walking down the street and need to tie your shoe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn that sucks!!!

Hope you find the a**holes that used your tickets and enjoyed the hell out of them someday!

Let me know if I can ever be of assistance! :haz:

• Like 2

When I was 8 my parents and I drove 2 hours to an all-weekend music festival. We got to the gate and realized we forgot the tickets. Had to drive home and get them, and ended up missing the first two bands.

:banghead:

When I was 8 my parents and I drove 2 hours to an all-weekend music festival. We got to the gate and realized we forgot the tickets. Had to drive home and get them, and ended up missing the first two bands.

God I'm glad I'm super paranoid about that. I check my pockets at least a dozen times as I'm walking to the truck

• Like 1

The city of Tampa seems to have it in for me. Every time I go to a show there, or even go through there, something annoying happens. I've been stopped by cops and walked away from in the middle of a question at the bus depot, but 2004 for R30 was the topper... while I was standing during Mystic Rhythms, some lazy jerk with his butt welded to his seat tossed a (fortunately plastic and empty) bottle at me.

After that, when the tour dates for S&A came out and I saw Tampa again, I almost refused to go. But I did, and of course something happened. At least it was partly comic, if not cosmic: I was taking the city bus over to the amphitheater when I checked my wallet again and saw I'd grabbed last night's W Palm Beach ticket instead! Had to get off bus, go back to hotel, get the right ticket, and catch the next bus in time for the show. Whew!

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

Worst experience was when a drunk guy hopped in my car after a rush concert in Red Deer and said Go.

Second place goes to being in front row for a concert where the opening act is way too 'engaging' making everyone unaware of them feel really awkward.

Here I was just trying to make people laugh, and the actual point of this thread seems to have passed most people by. Ah well.

I got it right away (but only because I happened to read the "Best" thread first). ;)

Okay, so this story has one of the BEST and WORST concert experiences.

When I was 10 years old a few months before my first Rush show on the R30 tour, my dad and I went to the Memphis in May Beale Street Music festival. Planned on catching Buddy Guy and Augeri-era Journey that night.

Buddy Guy was around lunchtime, but on this day the weather started taking a turn for the worse. Buddy made it through most of his set like normal, just screaming and wailing on his blues and it was pure magic. Then the rain started f***ing with the electric equipment so Buddy, that cool cat, improvised and switched to acoustic for the remainder of the show. He started playing Feels Like Rain to "celebrate" the awful weather we were experiencing. What was even cooler was that I got to go right up to the gates in front of the stage and Buddy and I exchanged some smiles while he was playing. It was pure joy for being a kid my age.

So onto the worst concert experience of my life:

We went to go see Augeri-era Journey that night, and got there a bit early. Of course, the weather had gotten even worse, and it was just blowing wind and rain and thundering like crazy. Collective Soul were going on before Journey, but they only made it through about 3 songs before giving up. Then we waited about an hour and a half just standing in this awful weather while the officials and the band decided to wait out the storm before taking the stage. After the 90 minutes passed up the officials came out and canceled the concert.

For the next 3 days Dad and I were sick as dogs. Easily my worst concert experience ever.

What I hate is when your seats are right next to the aisle where people walk up and down to get to their seats, and the aisle is between you and the stage. It always amazes me how people will simply **stop** as they're walking up and down the aisle, and then turn around and watch the show for a few minutes, blocking my view. Don't these morons realize what they're doing? Or do they just not care?

Happened to me when I saw the 'Presto' tour

Clem.

I feel like I'm the only one who gets the joke here...

Not the only one, no.

I've been waiting for you, by the way. I thought you'd probably never arrive.

• Like 2

I don't really have a worst, but the most dissapointing one was a free show in 2011 when a local country band was going to open up for Kansas. It was an outdoor venue AND a massive severe thunderstorm was on it's way. I went because I thought that maybe Kansas would get some songs in or they'd just wait until the storms were over. The other band was done by the time the lightning started and pretty soon, it was f***ing POURING. Lightning struck a few trees nearby, the winds were almost hurricane-force, and in the midst of the chaos, the officials came out and announced that Kansas is cancelled (obviously)

Here's a horror story that ended any and all desires for me to ever attend a daylong rock fest again.

Monsters of Rock, '88. LA Coliseum. The likes of Kingdom Come, Dokken, Metallica, the Scorpions, and Van Halen. Sounds like a metal heaven, yeah?

So me and the gang (about 6 of us) are all about 19, 20. We paid, via a broker, 200 bucks a ticket for 9th row Eddie's side in the pit (take into mind the Coliseum capacity was just short of 100k). 200 bucks in 1988 was a ridiculous amount of money to pay for Van Halen headliners, But that's how hard rock we were even at that tender age.

So we're at the hotel and the other boys are doing lots of pre show drugs, so much so we're late getting to the venue and totally miss KC and Dokken. No biggie. Then the security gal patting down our buddy finds our entire concert stash on his person thanks to his lazy attention in hiding it on his person. C'est la vie. We get inside to hear James Hetfield, he of Metallica frontman fame, 1/2 way through their set calling all the nosebleeds down from their perches in the arena loge. So 30k people rush the floor, overwhelming the helplessly looking on cops and yellow jacket security in an insane free-for-all resulting in many a bloody nose and black eye, and, of course, completely destroying any chance of any folks who hadn't yet to made it to their seats to actually retain said seats. No matter how much they paid or how reserved seating was supposedly guaranteed.

So we ghost-walk around the stadium coming down from our, uh, pre-show libations. Not in the good way. Hard comedown. Burning out and fading. One of us gets separated from the group, has the misfortune of being too close to a biker gang fight (not kidding), even though looking completely like the blonde surfcat stoner that he was (as in, not a hardcore greasy Hell's Angel whatsoever), and the cops boot him outta the stadium along with the bikers. He was standing about 20 feet from the brawl, that's all. Cue his exit before the Scorpions even hit the stage.

Two of us dissapear into the mass swarm that is the front section of the floor now, swearing and sweating and coming down, never to be seen again until the hotel at 2 am.

The three remaining survivors bumble and fumble around the back of the stadium, finding vacant nosebleed seats 10 miles from the stage, eternities away from 200 dollar 9th row seats. :) We barely acknowledge the Scorpions's set (Savage Amusement tour) due to our broken hearts.

Van Halen takes FOREVER to take the stage. We're hot and completely miserable by the time the crowd starts to near-riot waiting for VH (about two hours between Scorpions and their entry). Chairs and bottles and debri thrown about the arena.

Diehard VH fans that we were (even with Sammy) we hardly paid attention to VH's set, wondering where the hell the other three guys were.

Post-show, we head over the the 7-11 near USC designated as the place to meet up should we all become separated. After another hour (it's 1 am now), we realized the other three aren't gonna make it. Instead of calling a cab like smart kids, we look over at the deceivingly close spires of the Westin Bonaventure which only seems a few blocks away (actually a few miles). We shrug and say let's walk.

Brilliant, if you know the neighborhood between USC the 110 freeway and downtown LA.

And sure enough, walking through the barred warehouses and pawn shops and back alleys, a metallic lowrider ambles up, a shotgun cocks and sticks two barrels out the window, and a far too young voice says (you don't belong around here. run motherf**kers run).

And sure enough we ran.

Two miles from the dark urban landscape through a couple homeless encampments, back to the safety of the Westin finally at 2 or 230 am, where our 3 associates, as well as my waiting gf, are waiting in alternately irritated and panicked states.

Ha. I hated that concert with a passion. But I do love telling the tale. True story. Really. :)

Edited by Van Squalen
  • Like 1

I feel like I'm the only one who gets the joke here...

No, some of us get it (if you don't, go read the 'best' concert experience thread). It's still a fun topic to discuss. Those seem to be rather rare these days.

Still waiting for someone to post a thread like:

"Will Alex wear a hairplug during the tour???"

Or something like that.

Clem